Tony Miller or Kanayama?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Babweiner, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Honer

Honer Member

If you go Kanayama, get a spare hanger and canvas. The suede is only good for cleaning and drying, but it does nothing to the edge. It is fun to strop on. Aframestokyo.com is a great source.

The Kanayama are all 2 1/2 inches which I like and promote a slight x-pattern. Also narrow strops are faster and the Kanayama Shell is very fast. And to clean it you simply wipe it with a wet wash cloth, let it dry and the draw returns to the day you bought it.

Takeshi now recommends washing and working the canvas strop to soften it up.

Kizurra likes this.
  2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have a Kanayama, a few Tony Miller and a Scrupleworks. They are all excellent. My favorite maker is Tony Miller. the Kanayama feels like a different leather treatment altogether.

Kizurra and entropy1049 like this.
  3. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

The Westholme strops are now on my radar hard.

Kanoyama-San has never divulged what his tanning treatment is for his leather. I suspect brains. I'm afraid I'm serious.

Kizurra, lindyhopper66 and HolyRollah like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

youve got me eyeing them now...
    I'm afraid to ask how you came about this little tidbit of information. ;)

5. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Mike if you are thinking of getting the Westholme just to let you know the Horsehide as a medium to heavy draw but he also does the shell Cordovan which is a lighter draw.

6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The Kanayama has an usual squishy, super smooth feel.

7. entropy1049

I've got several shell Cordovan strops now Jamie, I think I'd go for the horsehide, as the only HH I have currently is vintage.

Kizurra and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  8. entropy1049

They are delightfully silky feeling. I still think the #3 is one of the best strops available at it's price point.

lindyhopper66 and Kizurra like this.
  9. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Native cultures favoured brain tanning often with other natural things like oak leaves and bark. Age of horse, tannings boil time and stretch for removing hair all play a role but the natural methods do much better for removing the follicles with it rather than just the hair hence the really soft and smooth feel. Would love to know his entire process.

lindyhopper66 and entropy1049 like this.
  10. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I've got a Tony Miller and it has a much lighter draw than my SRP Latigo. For the price you can't beat the Tony Miller Old No 2.

HolyRollah likes this.