too dry, too wet ??????

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by icemanwbs, Nov 4, 2014.

1. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Seeing I'm still very new to this, I've expected problems to pop up now and then. While whipping up a bowl lather either with Prorasso or Arko, I can't really tell yet when I have enough water added. I try by sight , whether it looks dull or shiny . Any thoughts ?

2. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

A lot of big bubbles tend to mean its to wet. Usually just keep working it with your brush.

I usually find my lathers to be done when they have a very wet looking shine to them.

3. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Imagine whipping cream in your head as your finished product.

4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

It should really whip up like whipped cream. If it has big bubbles it's too wet. If it seems flat it's too dry. It's better to start off good dry and add a sprinkle of water every 20 seconds time and time again and keep whipping and watch for it to blossom. Homework for tonight is to make five bowls using the Marco method. By the fifth time you should have it down. By the tenth bowl you can make it in your sleep.

LookingGlass, icemanwbs and macaronus like this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Herm2502 and icemanwbs like this.
  6. icemanwbs

Not familiar with the Marco method.

mikewood likes this.
  7. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Check it this video.
    If you bowl lather there is no reason not to let the water and soap from the puck drip into the bowl as you load the brush with soap.

8. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I'm a newbie and I thought these videos really help know what to look for once I start using a brush.

macaronus and icemanwbs like this.
  9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I had the same issue when I first started. I still have to keep a close eye on how much water I have added to make sure I have enough. Most of the issues I have had with lathers has boiled down to me not adding enough water.

Here is my suggestion.
    What I did to help me add the correct amount of water was to add too much water. Practice it a few times watching closely how the lather changes with the addition of water. Keep adding water until you see the lather break down. What did it look like just before it broke down? Then, try again and attempt to get the lather just a hair short of breaking down. Can you see the difference? Try it adding what you THINK is the correct amount of water, and then add some more. Did it break down this time? If not, then you weren't really at the point of adding too much water. For me, seeing how the lather reacts with more and more water was the key.

icemanwbs likes this.
  10. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Even though I have been at this for a year it still helps to watch a video every now and then.

icemanwbs and macaronus like this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Signs I look for when my lather is ready are VERY tiny bubbles and a dense whipping cream looking lather. I presoak my brush and bowl while I shower so I start out with a well soaked, but not dripping wet brush to load soap off of my puck, I load off of a dry puck. Then I empty my bowl before beginning to make my lather, any drops of water left in the bowl are usually the only additional water I add. :shaver

icemanwbs likes this.
  12. icemanwbs

Seams like I'm getting the Prorasso green down pretty good, Arko is pretty much the same. The artisan soaps are a little tricky though. Also I'm finding it easier, brush wise , using my inexpensive VDH then either Tweezerman badger or the Omega pro 49.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Your dilemma is exactly why I like face lathering. If it is too dry, you just add a few drops of water to the brush and go back to face lathering.The only mistake you can make is using too much water

BigMark likes this.
  14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

+1 Mark. I do it a lot & they are very helpful. Seems I learn something new every time

icemanwbs and BigMark like this.
  15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

No matter how old you may be may be you never stop learning.

icemanwbs likes this.
  16. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

The videos are great. I learned im not there yet....

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

You'll get there!