Top 5 Artisan Soap Vendors

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ps1160, Dec 15, 2014.

1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

@celestino you are the biggest advocate for MW that I've ever seen. I don't know why so many people complaint about how challenging it can be to lather...what's your secret? Is it the Amber handles?? Lol. I want to try this soap to see for myself.

ps1160 likes this.
  2. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

Wickham I tried their Club Soda soap about 6 months ago. It was good, not great. My Root Beer soap from Beer Soap Brewing is much much better.

However, I heard that they reformulated and their new soap is top notch. I came close to buying their Lavender soap but went with Castle Forbes Lavender instead because so many people say it is the best lavender scent. I love my Castle Forbes Lime croap.

JR Reyes and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I only thought I liked soap. You guys really like soap. I dig it.

ps1160 likes this.
  4. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

It is a SAD disease, this soap obsession ;)

Bama Samurai, JR Reyes and Chuck F like this.
  5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Ginger's Garden (a TSD supporting vendor) needs some love in this thread. Great scents, great skincare, great soaps.

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have tried quite a few soaps and so far have not found one I just hate. Here is my list of favorites so far

Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood ( really like Stirling Soaps for the performance but some of the scents are hit and miss for me)
    Soap Commander (have tried several scents and liked them all)
    Catie's Bubbles Sandalwood

SHAVEWIZARD420, ps1160 and JR Reyes like this.
  7. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I have thinned the den to four artisan soaps.

1. Jabonman (several flavors)
    2. Me (a couple of flavors)
    3. Strop Shoppe (Baker St)
    4. Mike's (Hungarian Lavender)

Of these, the Jabonman is used about 90% of the time. My artisan soap life became much simpler after my first tub of Jabonman. I have tried a bunch of artisan soaps and Manuel's comes out on top.

RaZorBurn123, ps1160 and JR Reyes like this.
  8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Razorock
    Razorock
    Razorock
    WSP
    Razorock

ps1160 and JR Reyes like this.
  9. JR Reyes

I'm not really a cream/croap guy, but castle forbes does make a great product. I had both lavender and lime at one point.

That lime scent was initially a bit tart, but after a while reminded me of lime life saver candy. When paired with the matching ASB, it left my face feeling super smooth.

I have stayed away from floral scents, but after trying Lavenille, I have a new found respect for lavender scents with a twist. I regret selling that one, but will add it back someday. I want to try the black label lavender from B&M.

Ginger's Garden? I will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

So many Soaps...but not enough face to use them all...lol

ps1160 and cubancigar2000 like this.
  10. cubancigar2000

I don't think there are any crèmes any better than CF, maybe some as good but none better. Too bad they don't make a soap

ps1160 likes this.
  11. JR Reyes

Not surprised here...lol

Ed, you are my main reason for wanting to try jabonman so bad.

ps1160 likes this.
  12. cubancigar2000

yes, JR I love my rocks but I have other soaps I like also, in fact lots of them

ps1160 likes this.
  13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Currently..........and in no particular order. I really like all of these!

Maggard
    Cold River Soap Works
    Stirling
    Los Angeles Shaving Soap
    WSP Rustic Shave Soap

ps1160 likes this.
  14. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Hahahahah! After trying so many different soaps in over 3 years, I just seem to gravitate strongly to this soap as it offers so many great qualities to me; price, cushion, glide, post-shave is amazing and the scents are prolific and some of the best I have tried. It can be a bit finicky in 'hard water', but a slight adjustment of technique will easily facilitate things. I have conducted 2 experiments with water from the UK and Phoenix to see if it was the water that was the culprit in loading this soap and I didn't have too many issues doing it.
    It can't be my All-Amber handles as I use many other handles with this soap.
    You should definitely try it as it is worth the effort and I am always open to another challenge if you want to send me a small bottle of your water if it doesn't work for you. :D

15. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

My Top 5 in order;

Cold River Soap Works
    Jabonman
    Wickham
    LA Shaving Soap
    Mystic Waters

ps1160 likes this.
  16. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

Castle Forbes is the only croap I own. Other than that, it is all soaps for me too.

17. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

Keep it going! I love seeing other people's top 5.

18. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

JR,

The Jabonman isn't the lowest priced soap but then there are others that are more expensive. Two tubs from Barcelona, Spain will run around $50.00. However, for me, it is the best soap I have ever used and is well worth the money. Like I said, my go to soap.

19. JR Reyes

Hey sometimes you have to splurge a little for a top tier soap. I totally understand. I will keep my eye on the classified threads and hopefully will snag one locally without having to wait for that shipping from spain. Looking forward to trying this stuff.

ps1160 likes this.
  20. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

Lots of love for Cold River. The people have spoken. Given that, and personal encouragement from Larry to try his soap (enabler! ;)), I will be buying CRSW Select Puro Fresco tonight. Coming soon to a SOTD near you.