Top 5 Artisan Soap Vendors

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ps1160, Dec 15, 2014.

1. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Cold River
    Caties Bubbles
    Stirling
    Phoenix Accurments
    Tiki

ps1160, JR Reyes and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I really only have two;
    Stirling, and
    Mystic Water

others, like RazoRock, Mama Bear, Beer Soap Co, etc - just didn't cut it [for me].

On my, really want to try list, are;
    - Mike's Shaving Soaps,
    - Catie's Bubbles, and
    - KnockOut

3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

That's right...I also need to try knockout tallow soap. I almost forgot about that one.

@Darkbulb you haven't tried B&M or Tiki? Your current wish list has some winners. I suspect your starting lineup will increase after you try those soaps.

4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

As soon as I find 3 more that can compare reasonably with these 2, I'll let you know.

ps1160 and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

I love this thread.

KnockOut Shave likes this.
  6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

You see what you started...lol. i agree I enjoy reading this one.

ps1160 and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Looks like we have something in common, almost! :D

ps1160 likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Winner!

ps1160 likes this.
  9. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Living in Denmark it has been hard to get these soaps without having to pay ridiculous transport costs and risking incurring a fine for importing from outside the E.U.
    BUT there are a couple of english website for the beginning to sell these soaps.
    I'm quite excited to try some of these artisan soaps.

I would like to try, in no particular order :

1 barrister and mann
    2 Tiki
    3 Caties Bubbles
    4 Soap Commander
    5 The Strop Shoppe
    6. TSD.
    Does the TSD shop deliver to Denmark?

ps1160 likes this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

TSD shop delivers to Sweden. Shipping for 2 soaps is about 16-17$ =(

Slow Joe likes this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I know your pain on the shipping cost but at least in Korea then never tax or fine for my shaving gear. They are just looking for LV bags and other designer fashion products. I guess shaving soap et al doesn't bother them.

Slow Joe likes this.
  12. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

Try this place based in the UK, so no customs charges in the EU :happy088: as you mentioned..

http://www.shavingstation.co.uk/shaving-soap/

Or this one

http://www.shavingtime.co.uk/

Slow Joe and ps1160 like this.
  13. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Thank you! I was just trying to figure out how to ask this question, and you did so quite elegantly. Despite being labeled 'Artisan', Razorock to me didn't seem to fit the bill. They seem to be a pretty big operation. Multi national in fact. My soap has clearly been pumped into the container with some kind of machine. I am not solely picking on RR. A lot of soaps being mentioned are the kind of stuff carried by almost all online vendors. That also didn't strike me as being particularly artisan. I guess 'artisan' to me, means these things; handmade, small batch, with direct only sales. TSD soap would be s perfect example. Your soap can be amazing quality, but if you are loading up semi trucks to take it to your international shipping hub, I can't consider your product to be artisan any more. And that in no way diminishes the product. Success is ok. But so is being honest about that success.

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

We're all about that bass

15. Capslock

Capslock Member

My list today, which changes often. Not really in order as that is impossible.

1. Ginger's Garden. Sooooo Good. The Vegan and Tallow alike (she also does a glycerine for less), and custom scents from an extensive scent list.
    2. Catie's Bubbles. Forget making your own scent. They do it better than you can, and the soap is faultless.
    3. Barrister and Mann. This is another soap with no faults.
    4. Stirling. Some scents are hit and miss, but nothing is as slick, and nothing leaves my face feeling better. And if you like menthol, best face-freezers on the planet!
    5. LA Shaving Soap. Best Fougere scented soap (Topanga Fougere), and I love my fougeres!

Could easily be on the list: Tiki, Maggards, Phoenix, Soapy Bathman, Soap Commander, Grandstaff.

Obviously there are a lot I haven't tried.

16. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I really want to try caties bubbles, soapy bathman, soap commander, mystic waters, and barrister and mann.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A list of my top 5 'artisan' soaps, based upon performance and scent…
    1. Martin de Candre
    2. L'Occitane Cade
    3. Mitchell's Wool Fat
    4. Valobra
    5. Mike's Natural

18. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I haven't used enough artisan soaps to have a top five list, but of the one's I've tried:

1. Mystic Water
    2. Stirling
    3. Calani

I like many RazoRock soaps, but since RazoRock doesn't actually make any of their soaps I won't list them.

Some that I've tried that don't make the cut for various reasons: Mike's, Mama Bear, Ogallala Bay Rum Co (but I love their aftershave!).

Since I'm trying to whittle down my soap & cream collection, I really don't have interest in trying any others for now. It's been quite a while since I last bought a soap or cream.

19. numerouno

numerouno Member

Is MdC considered as an artisan soap ? Then its one of the greatest soaps ever made easily in top 2 list. Second being Wickham. Not sure about Top 5 yet !

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. Gilligan and Walter

Gilligan and Walter Active Member

My current top artisan soaps:

1. Seifenglatt
    2. Maggards
    3. Catie's Bubbles
    4. Barrister & Mann (I have yet to replace what I previously owned)
    5. (Tie) Honeybees and Mystic Water

What I don't care for:

I once tried Mike's Barbershop Scent - it smelled like Vicks Vapo Rub to me. I failed to smell the Barbershop scent. Perhaps, it was an isolated incident. It was a good performer but I ended up throwing it away.

Tiki Bar ( non tallow) most of their scents smelled the same to me. Too sweet. Too fussy to lather.

Previously ordered various samples of Stirling. Fine performers but several smelled like dirt to me. I mean no disrespect here. I ended up throwing them away.

What's currently on order:

WSP and Cold River.