Top 5 Artisan Soap Vendors

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ps1160, Dec 15, 2014.

1. macintoshBR

macintoshBR Active Member

I wonder if classic soaps like Proraso, Cella and MWF used to be artisan made back when they were created. I believe so.

KLF likes this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That was very specific and informative =) in your top 5 I have only tried one brand, the B&M.

You don't need to throw soaps away, you can PIF them on this forum and let someone else enjoy.

Slow Joe and Gilligan and Walter like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here is the MWF 'factory' ;)—from which I would still refer to their products as 'artisanal.'
    [​IMG]

4. macintoshBR

macintoshBR Active Member

Awesome!

Gilligan and Walter likes this.
  5. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I need to take a pilgrimage there.

6. herbert7890

herbert7890 Member

I now have to classify MWF as artisan, after seeing that picture. Better for me, that means all of my soaps are now artisan made : D

7. ps1160

ps1160 Well-Known Member

I have a similar take on Stirling. Many love it, which I am glad, but all of them have an underlying mud smell to me. Perhaps clay in it?

8. Gilligan and Walter

Gilligan and Walter Active Member

A good point but some smelled so bad to me, I didn't want to PIF them to others.

9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

As long as it doesn't smell like licorice or my mother-in-law, I can use it.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Gee, I suppose I should have thought of that before I sent my near-full bottle of the Veg to another TSD member…. :D

Anise-scented. Short A pronunciation. ;)
    One of my favorite soap scents.

11. Gilligan and Walter

Is it me or does the Veg, if kept in a plastic bottle, smell a bit like cat urine?

12. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I admire you. I tried but in my defense, I don't like black licorice either.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If by 'a bit' you mean 'identical to stale cat urine fermenting in a old plastic jug', you're spot on. However, wearers swear it smells differently once you apply and after while, the wearer is oblivious to the scent. Feral tomcats will probably begin hissing at you, however.

14. Gilligan and Walter

LMAO!:happy102:

JR Reyes likes this.
  15. Figaro qua

Figaro qua Member

So may soaps. So little time. Every week I discover some new artisan soap I want to try. I must be strategic because I'm getting that look from my wife.
    RazoRock
    Cold River
    Soap Commander
    Stirling
    WSP Rustic
    Ginger's Garden
    Kell's Original Hemp
    Shannon's

OK, that is more than 5 but I can't help it.
    Here is my short list of must buy and try.
    Tiki
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (Cavendish)
    Cattie's Bubbles
    Dapper Dragon
    Mama Bear
    Yeti
    Looking for feedback please.

16. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The do have clay, and I'm not a fan of that, but not all of them do, or if they do you can't tell it in all of them. I'm a fan of a handful of their scents, like Glastonbury and Glacial Obsidian that don't seem to have any detectable clay.

ps1160 and Gilligan and Walter like this.
  17. Gilligan and Walter

I just received my WSP Rustic Barbershop yesterday. I shaved with it today. It smells fantastic. Soft, clean, powdery yet masculine with a hint of spice. Excellent slickness, cushioning, glide. Really easy to lather. The only negative- I don't care for the small tin it comes in. It's filled to the top and would get extremely messy if you try to create your lather in that tin. Knowing that, I simply switched it to another, deeper container. It's a croap and comes out easily. You wouldn't believe how much they pack into that little tin.

clint64 and ps1160 like this.
  18. Gilligan and Walter

I need to revise my list since I just received WSP Rustic Barbershop yesterday. In addition, since Razorock is considered an artisan soap maker, it has to be included in my revised list as well. Here's my new list in no order of preference:

1. Razorock (tie: Caprician Lemon and Captain's Choice Bay Rum)
    2. WSP Rustic Barbershop
    3. Seifenglatt ( Montpeller)
    4. Maggards (Limes & Bergamot)
    5. Catie's Bubbles (Purple Grapefruit)

Still waiting on Cold River Soap Works Savon No.1

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    JR Reyes and ps1160 like this.
  19. Figaro qua

Figaro qua Member

You are spot on with the WSP Rustic. I have the Marrakesh, great spicy mix but the tin is small. I'm stet up to shave in the shower so the mess is not an issue for me.

Gilligan and Walter and ps1160 like this.
  20. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

So I've ordered some new to me artisan soaps since Christmas. Here's my take so far.

Barrister and Mann Cheshire. Amazing scent. Pretty strong. Very easy to lather and I see why people like it. I still stand by its a little high priced for 4 ounces.

Caties bubbles ocean grove and rosee du matin. The scents are a little light but that's fine with me. Both have nice scents. Both soaps lather easily and are plenty slick. A good deal at 20$ for 8 ounces of soap.

Mystic waters jasmine. Lilac. And lily of the valley. AMAZING floral scents. Some of my favorites. Very easy to lather and incredibly slick. Ill say I can see this being one of my favorites very soon. A good deal at 11$ for 4 ounces.

Tiki spice islands. And land locked. Tiki are amazing soaps. I'm really liking them. Spice islands has an incredible scent of Mango and cilantro. tiki is very high on my list.

All in all, there are some great artisan soap makers right now. We are all lucky.