Total Newb here

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mtnbst, Apr 23, 2012.

1. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Hi, A very warm welcome to the Den, you will many like minded people here, and a wealth of info!!!!

2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Welcome to the Den, and a big hello too.

3. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Thank you, thank you!!
    So I ordered TGQ shave cream...what are the chances it will come with instructions? :pot: ....I might go into a complete panik when I can't find the "button" (canned goo reference)

Zilla likes this.
  4. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Your going to fit right in :rofl:

mtnbst likes this.
  5. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

Welcome. As far as keeping the expense down; get alot of stuff on ebay. Don't impulse buy and you can get away with some really good stuff for cheap. I have never spent more then 25 bucks for a straight and I have not been disappointed. I drool over the ones I see that will cost $ 300 but I just can't see myself actually laying down that kind of cash. Maybe others will disagree, but I don't think you are getting anything more for the bling looking blades.

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    That is a good looking razor, and welcome to the den...

Look really close and see if there isn't a "Tree" logo somewhere stamped on that razor because it just screams Boker to me...

7. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

This forum is great! Thank you all so much. Still hasn't arrived "no tracking information available" here is a pic from the other side. Not sure who this Samuel Kanner fella is :innocent

Attached Files:

8. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Welcome to The Shave Den. I hope you enjoy your stay. There is a ton of great info here and a lot of knowledgeable folks, don't hesitate to ask for help.

9. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Haven't even received my first straight in the mail yet, and I am already addicted to finding good buys on eBay. Of course I will wait until I am familiar with the one I purchased before I go to crazy. (Can't help it) :angry021:

10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I show a Kannar as a cutler out of Solingen

Most likely the maker is S. Kannar and the "Model" is Rannek Special

But one must always be careful making assumtions in this sport, as often they can be wrong hehehe

11. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

I notice the majority of the older blades I see originate out of Solingen.

Coal is to WV as Razor blades are to Solingen :lyrtuy5:

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Well it came, I shaved but the hair still remains on my neck. I will eventually get around to sending it off to have it honed. I will probably put of doing it for a long time. I might not do it because if the hassle factor.
    However I will eventually buy something that's ready to roll out of the box, then I can get it sharpened after I have been able to use it properly. Lost a lot of excitement when the razor slid down my face leaving every whisker intact. I shouldn't expect much more though, after all it is a $35 old school eBay straight. It's cool I will work it out.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hi and welcome to the Den - I don't use a straight so much anymore, but I'm sure there are plenty of more regular users who'd be happy to help with some advice. It's great to have you here! :)

14. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

The first three months, I wondered if this Straight razor hobby was a waste of time. It just was not as good as a cheap disposable blade. The chin and throat both never got as clean and smooth as I hoped. Then I made a strop that was better than the others I had originally. After much studying of the wisdom that this forum has, I learned better stropping methods. It was like a night and day change. It was not something that happened over a long time. The leap in shaving performance all happened in a 24 hour period. As I was shaving, I knew it with the first two strokes along my cheek and jaw. I have been hooked ever since.

Back this last November, I had to go on a trip out of state and I was not willing to travel with my blades. I used an expensive disposable while on that trip. It was the first time in over a year for me to use a disposable and I regretted it. Not only was the shave sub-par, but as the stubble grew back, it was prickly and scratchy. Something about the way Straights cut creates a different angle and provides benefits even if you don’t shave for a while. Not to mention the shaves are so much closer that I often can skip a day with minimal signs of growth. I dread the day I might have to shave again without a straight. I might just hold off shaving till I can do it right.
    And BTW this was all done with a $15 and $25 straights. Don't get discouraged and don't feel you have to take out a loan to get the results you want.

mtnbst likes this.
  15. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

In not throwing in the towel, thank you for this post!

Lavachild and GDCarrington like this.
  16. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    There are very very very few E-bay razors that are shave ready, I can think of 3 sellers that I would say have shave ready razors, even new out of the box razors are questionable as to shave readiness.. Some will shave but most can stand a trip to an actual Straight Razor Honemiester to get the most out of them..
    I know this is throwing ice water on your Straight Razor fire, but I also don't want you to think it is easy to pick up either .. Straight razors give awesome shaves BUT the learning curve is rather steep and requires time and dedication, it is not easy to just jump into the deep end...

You have to have

A Shave ready straight razor
    A Good strop
    A Brush
    A Shaving soap or cream
    And most of all the time, to devote to learn how to use all of the above correctly...

mtnbst and GDCarrington like this.
  17. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

I have those items with the exception of a strop. Can anyone point me in the direction of a wise decision?

Dropped off my razor today at a (believe it or not)sharpening shop. Mennonite establishment. Pretty pumped about that. I will post results of "attempt #2" at straight shaving

18. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Did you ask if they honed and used Straight Razors on a daily basis???? most people have had less then desirable results from walk in sharpening shops :(

I only recommend two strops there are 100's out there, I would make sure you get one with a Linen/Cotton/webbing element but even that is debatable

Below $50 google Illinois #827 or #127 same strop different finish buy it from whoever has it for less this week :)

Above $50 www.straightrazordesigns.com I personally like the Premium #1 but take your pick they have tons of good choices

19. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

gssixgun likes this.
  20. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

This is all excellent advise. The guy who does the sharpening does not cold into work until Monday. I am going to get my straight back from them today. Glad I post my every move in the den!
    In regards to making my own strop. ...yeeeeeah .....that's not ever going to happen. While I appreciate the concept, I would be better off sliding it up and down my leg while wearing jeans (jk, I won't do that) I will prob eventually purchase one from that link.
    Any honemiester links?
    Love the den.