Total Newb here

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mtnbst, Apr 23, 2012.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And don't waste any time about it.

3. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

i have searched www.GemStarCustoms.com. I do not see a link for honing.....I see blades that have been honed...? I need to send out my razor and have it done. (I got it back from the sharpening place before they got to it):cool:

What are the odds I can buy a decent strop?....maybe it could be sent back with the razor???

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I think I just answered yours if you sent an e-mail about 20 minutes ago

5. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Ahh yes that was me, checking now!

gssixgun likes this.
  6. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

My setup!

Attached Files:

7. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Shipped out this morning!

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

I believe we are neighbors. I'm in Bedford and one of the founders of this fine forum full of helpful and friendly folks.

Jamie Mahoney likes this.
  9. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Wow I am in Roanoke, any local shops in the valley?

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm no longer familiar enough with the shopping in Roanoke. :o

I run The Shave Den Shop (link down in my signature).
    It helps pay the forum bills.

Glen always does such an awesome job with my straights. You're in good hands!

11. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Shop in Bedford? I would love to stop by

12. D3ADLY

D3ADLY New Member

I felt the same way after I ordered my first Straight razor off ebay. I was excited and gung ho to use it and couldn't wait to get it in. After I got it in, I yanked it out the box, and ran off the the bathroom to work up a lather. Then after several passes I was thinking, what the heck is wrong with this thing. >< Wouldn't cut off a single hair. :angry032:

So I hopped on the internet and found me a Sharpening company about 45 minutes away from where I live. I called and asked them if they sharpened straight razors and they said yes. So I took it over, and he attempted sharpening it on a machine. (Which I wasn't too happy about grinding down the blade) and he handed it to me like it was all done. So I attempted to shave off a little hair off my arm, and it wouldn't cut anything. Probably duller than when I took it to him. So he kept messing with it only with the same results. So I finally told him I don't want the blade ground down anymore and left with a dull razor.

So I sent it out to get it honed by one of the sites recommended in a post/thread somewhere only to be out about $10 for shipping and handling because they didn't want to hone it. They felt the blade on that model would be to difficult to hone and it wouldn't hold an edge is what they said. Which kind of annoyed me as they didn't state anything of that sort on their website so I was out shipping and return shipping.

So I broke down and sank some money into a TI straight from their website. I'm all anxious to get it in the mail. :git: I been using a Shavette straight though to get the job done in the mean time. :)

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Sharpened a straight razor with a machine? I would have gone all Sweeny Todd on his... what I'm trying to say is I would have been upset.

Machine grinding ruined your razor's edge, temper, and angle. I would have sent it back too. I don't think anyone would touch it. I'm sure if you had told them someone ground the edge down on a grinder, they would have saved you the trouble and told you to toss the razor.

14. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

There are certain razors that are cheap on eBay for a reason. Inferior steel just can't be honed properly, there's quite a few honing places nowadays that have a listing of manufacturers or markings on the blades to help ID substandard blades that they won't touch with a 40 foot sterilized hone.

Not counting many vintage blades that are high quality, I won't' go near anything that isn't Dovo or TI because of their track record for outstanding quality. I'm not sure about how good TI's "Shave ready" is from the factory, I know that Dovos leaves something to be desired, but that's a business thing, not many companies are willing to have people trained to hone razors before being sent out, so they just do the best they can quickly. It may need a honing done by a professional when you get it, but only your skin can decide that one.

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I would love to have a Thiers Issard razor. I have five TI kitchen knives and they are better than anything else out there. (1 of them is vintage:)).
    Thiers Issard is the only straight razor manufacturer in the world that is allowed to temper their blades in molten lead. I find that very cool. Also, as a side note, if you want to sound well educated, Thiers Issard is pronounced chairs-eh-sard.

16. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

I really like the idea of using a straight.I have used it around 5 or 6 times.my face has razor bumps, random stubble and irritated scratches.not liking my new look.I do understand that it is due to user error. My skin however is very sensitive, just not sure if I can hang. Using a pre shave oil and the art of shaving soap. And Nivea aftershave moisturizer.

17. mtnbst

mtnbst New Member

Would getting a dovo improve this a little?I am using a $30 vintage straight. Or is it entirely technique (that I have yet to attain a comfort level)

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Try using the Nivea first, like a skin food. leave it on for a couple of minutes then rinse off. Not sure about using shave oil with straights. make sure your face is wet, wet wet, dripping wet. Remember the lather is just there to keep that water on your face. Use a light touch and watch your angle. I'm sure you will see an improvement.

Proper honing and stropping are more important to a razor's edge than a brand name. A Dovo razor, while nice, is useless to you unless it has been brought to shave readiness. When using a straight, you should be able to hear each hair being cut. If your razor has not been professionally honed you might want to check out whippeddog.com and look into his "exchange" program.

19. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

Reading your posts brings me back to when I started out. I doubted if I would stay with this "Shaving Hobby." I thought to myself, it was cool to be using a straight, but maybe I should not expect the performance. Irritation was also annoying. I would go back to a disposable for a few days between Straight attempts. Allowed my face to recover. When I did actually get it right, I have developed a great appreciation for straights. I really hope you stick it out and gain the rewards you are deserved for being so tenacious.

20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    A different brand will not help, only experience will, the razor you have is a very good one, and took a fine edge..

Adjust the pressure to your face and back way off, only use the SR on the easy flat parts of the face until you figure out the angles and the strokes, use your old system for the hard parts....

Stropping is easier if you learn the flip while the strop is laying on the edge of a counter or a table this eliminates the slop from hanging it..

I know it is hard to believe right now but the SR is actually the best razor for sensitive skin it allows the most user input, but learning how to do that input makes for a rather steep learning curve...

newb likes this.