Trac II handles

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by bittermormon, Dec 28, 2012.

1. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

So every time I'm at the store looking though the shave stuff to see if there's anything of interest I always see those trac2 cartridges for pretty cheap. What about the handles? Are those hard to come by or something? I never see them locally.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The major manufacturers and sellers (Gillette / Schick) have moved on and only support cartridge sales hoping that by not selling handles people will move up to a Mach 3 or beyond.

The problem is the internet has allowed other players to make handles (many much better than the originals) to support this market.

The Trac II series is my favorite cartridge type since it was based on the injector series. It and the Atra series that followed were and are great two blade systems.

Here is an example of a handle on Amazon that is very popular.

[​IMG]

Nice and solid, better built than the originals.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MSFE8U/?tag=thshde-20

I use mine quite frequently for head shaving or if I need a quick shave due to schedule issues.

3. bittermormon

Thanks. I actually have a Mach3 that I recently used and got really good results using the techniques I've learned here. Seems like practicing with a cartridge is good just in case of travel. The one thing that jumped out was how toy-like and light it felt compared to my DE. The shave was good and I didn't have to think very much however.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I started off with a Trac II in 1975 and there is a reason they are still around. With the improved metal handles the performance increases over the originals in my opinion.

5. J Summerfield

J Summerfield New Member

6. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Bump fighter handle, that's what I use.

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I bought my Gillette Trac II handle in a grocery store in the early 1980s. Local grocery and drug stores stopped selling them a little less than 10 years ago. Trac II cartirdges became quite scarce for three or four years starting 15 years ago. That was one of the reasons I switched to a safety razor. Double edge blades seem to be sold just about everywhere.

There are plenty of upscale Trac II handles being sold from around $15 - $60, though. Just google on the terms 'Trac II razor handle' and you will find some. Col. Conk's, one of the lower cost brands, makes handles that sell for $15 - $20 online.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. bittermormon

thanks everyone for your replies. I'll look for a bump fighter handle locally. My thinking is less expensive carts are good for travel as well as an indoctrination technique if family asks why I'm always asking for shave gear as gifts.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The handle that GD posted is also seen frequently in a solid brass version (1980's razor made by "barbershop"?) on eBay. I bought mine for about $10. I also have the schick version of the so-called "Paul Revere" TracII razor. Both are very nice shavers.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I still have the Trac2 handle, must be from the mid 70's, I used for the last 34 years of shaving. I use the cheap grocery store carts made in Korea(Dorco I think) to get my terrible shaves with..:( I did however right before going to "Traditional" shaving full time get a "Bump Fighter" handle to use and I feel safe in saying if you must use a Trac2 cart the "Bump Fighter" handle is the way to go. They are substantial, grippy and work well! Also if you prefer you can buy the "Bump Fighter" carts and shave with a single blade cart...:)

11. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I have several along with several Atra's and used them when traveling since the 1970''s. The Trac 2 blades were the only cartridges that I could find when traveling in Europe ten or fifteen years ago. Still use them and you can find a Trac2/Atra combination blade now.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. haiti222

haiti222 Member

Also, note that the Schick Super II blades and handles are generally compatible with the Trac II (The Schick Ultrex are compatible with Atra and Trac II). These vintage blades and handles can often be found at a fairly low price, and are often excellent quality.