Travel...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Troy M, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I recently was in Nashville for a conference. I took my Gillette Slim Adjustable with a blade in it. No problem at the TSA screening in Colorado Springs. When I came home yesterday, my bag was pulled out of the line and brought over to the hand screening section. The TSA agent said, "I've got to look at your razor and look for a blade." He pulled the razor out of my Dopp kit and rooted around in there and said, "Neat old razor, I don't see a problem here." He put the razor back in my bag and away I went.

Herm2502, mikewood, Bobcat and 10 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Did you still have the blade in it coming back?

I have gone through security with a tuck of blades a couple of times by pure mistake. In fact, I had brought a disposable razor the time I did, I had just left the tuck in there from a previous trip. I wonder if they are relaxing the requirements?

3. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I had a blade in it going out and coming back. I'll admit that going out it was because I tossed the razor in at the last minute (3:15 a.m.) and yesterday I simply forgot about the blade as I didn't shave before I left the hotel room.

Spyder, AGHisBBS, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  4. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I don’t know, maybe you were just lucky that time. Personally, I don’t want to take a chance. I rarely travel with just a carry-on. On the rare occasion that I do, I bring a cartridge razor.

Spyder and mrchick like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

More likely an underpaid, unmotivated, bored out of his skull TSA agent, who would rather swallow a hive full of live paper wasps than hassle one more obviously Not Terrorist dude, over something as innocuous as his stupid razor.

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm too chicken to do that with a carry on, unless it's one of my beater razors. Usually it's in my check in. Glad it worked out well. :)

Linuxguile and Spyder like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've gotten pulled out of line because the screener didn't recognize an injector as a razor.

Linuxguile, Spyder, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I have simply had too many issues with TSA when flying. I pack all of the shaving gear in my check baggage. I even have specific clothes that I wear (sweat pants, t-shirt, no belt). I was coming back from vacation and the TSA flipped about 2 cartons (sealed) of milk for my grand daughter. He told me if I wanted to take them through I would have to have my hands swabbed for anthrax and they would take my carry on and go through it. All over a few sealed cartons of milk. I can't imagine how they would react if the found my razors.

PLAla, Spyder and Enrico like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I would still rather have them too cautious than too lax.
    Too much terror in the world to let down your guard for even a second.
    And let's face it, people don't have "NICE GUY" or "TERRORIST" tattooed on their forehead or even stamped on their flight pass.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I’m traveling tomorrow, I’m taking a dreaded multi blade disposable:(. Maybe I won’t shave at all.

Enrico, PickledNorthern and PLAla like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Best of luck. You should shave. Make you enjoy your own den that much more when you get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spyder, Troy M and Enrico like this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what they told you

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Spyder and richgem like this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yeah I know the truth. It was anti Penguin profiling. :(

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I've started putting my DE in the bag with my liquids, open or disassembled. It saves time, and I have had the TSA dudes thank me for that.

wristwatchb, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  15. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Well that should inspire any TSA folks reading this!

Spyder likes this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I did end up taking a disposable multiple blade pos. I didn’t want to speak with tsa at all. I just wanted to cruise through the line unhindered.
    I haven’t used a disposable in years. I did verify the they are not nearly as efficient as my Straights or safety razors.

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My last flight was in 2004 and it is likely my last flight. Glad you didn't get hassled.

Eeyore and Spyder like this.
  18. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I fly several times a year. Even overseas. I have begun intentionally taking a DE razor, soap and brush and buying blades at my destination. Many times they pull my carry on bag for inspection and they almost universally thank me for not having blades. I have never had a razor confiscated or been hassled in any way by TSA or any other national security service. I don’t know of anyone who has lost a razor and if you do what are you really out? $25-30 for a user grade DE? That’s cheap.

I also don’t understand the hassle part. Be professional and polite to them and they are universally polite in return. Well they are to me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DesertTime, wristwatchb and Drygulch like this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I carry my Schick Type H "Hussey" when traveling. Unless it's a long trip, I only need the blade that's in the razor. It hasn't presented any problems so far, probably because they don't know what it is.

Herm

Spyder likes this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I am not saying that it's good, or even defendable, but I can understand that both travellers and airport staff sometimes lose their patience.

I always keep reminding myself that they're not out to cause delays but are just doing their job. I am a regular flyer, by the way, and some airports really are a lot better than others.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Spyder likes this.