Tripped over this article from 35 years ago....

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by PickledNorthern, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Don't forget the conditioner. ;)

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yes, but you should give it a ten to fifteen minute soak in diluted white vinegar first. Then shampoo and gently comb afterwards.

Primotenore likes this.
  3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Round brush, round puck, round mug. Now I wonder why men, for centuries, used a circular, swirling motion to lather? Applying brush and soap to face is the singular joy of wet shaving and why I've been doing it for over 54 years. Working that lather into your beard, softening it, preparing it for shaving (regardless of razor) is what its about for me. I used brush and soap even when I used cartidge razors.

The circular motion is what I enjoy and if that's what you like, I would just continue to do it. About brush longevity, I used two Old Spice branded brushes for the first over 25 years I shaved. The first I lost in a move, the second I lost in a flood in 1994. Both worked just fine until the day they were gone.

In my opinion, there are no "experts" in shaving. There are just shavers and each is the "expert" for his shaves. Shaving is something men have been doing for thousands of years, which hardly qualifies it as an arcane science or art form.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yes yes yes. Thank you for adding those most important steps!

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My old timers kicking in. I need to start keeping sticky notes to not forget this stuff. Thank you for the reminder.

Primotenore likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Article Team
    Don't forget to bloom your soaps as well...:happy102:

mrchick and Frijolero like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Blah...blah...blah...........

mayer57619 and Frijolero like this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

If this really was a thing, it would be more widely known in the seventies and eighties. Otherwise there would have been way more complaints about brush knot issues.

I cannot recall that anyone ever gave me lathering instructions. I also never felt that I needed it.

Back then we just shaved. And the routine I established then (mimicking my dad) still works for me. After all, there is no magic involved.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very well said.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Me also Joseph. :happy088:

PickledNorthern and Primotenore like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

I never intended to post this article so we could all stomp a dead horse into wormy gut mush over the well known and often argued over Simpson flyer about how their brushes should be used. This is a slip of paper found in every Simpson box, that is more a tradition than anything else, but has been pounded into oblivion on forum thread after forum thread.

LOOK, a squirrel! Kent brushes are all made from Pure badger hair. It says so right on the handle.

My intention was simply to point out the fact that the NYT was writing articles about a wet shaving resurgence, 35 years ago.

12. PickledNorthern

Doug, it’s so great to see you around full time again.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Jared.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  14. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Interesting article. If one is really interested in brush longevity you should just leave it in the box. I swirl and always will swirl. And I swirl in both directions! I even comb my brushes from time to time. Haven't found a knot yet. Minimal pressure is all that is required to lather well. Remember you are not scrubbed a burnt pot, you are gently applying lather.

15. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

The only time I use up and down motion is when I lather williams, thats what my grandfather taught me, but i swirl other soaps and have never had an issue, all my brushes are cheap except the one i never use, so maybe you are right, maybe the softer more expensive ones knot up. I got a badger in a kit i bought via gift card from AOS and still found I enjoyed my cheap boar better.

wchnu likes this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sayyyyyy are you trying to take away our fun???? Kicking dead horses if half the fun around here. Insulting bloomers and cold water shavers is most of the rest. Right @Primotenore .

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That'swhatI'mtalkinabout

Primotenore likes this.
  18. DesertTime

By George, I think you found the secret. By employing bi-directional swirling, you twist the hairs against themselves in one direction, then untwist them in the other.

19. DesertTime

You do use a hairdryer, set on low, when finished, right?

PickledNorthern likes this.
  20. Primotenore

Article Team
    You talking' to me? :signs002: I can't respond right now, I am too busy blooming....:happy093:

Paul Turner likes this.