Truckman's Chili

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Truckman, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Truckman

Truckman New Member

This recipe has gotten me a lot of compliments, especially from those who don't like chili much. Enjoy

This is for a double batch, which is usually what I make - it goes quick!

2 large sweet yellow onions (Vidalia, Spanish, etc..)
    2 large green peppers
    2 lbs ground beef
    2 - 16 oz. cans of diced tomatoes (plain - no added seasonings)
    2 - 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce
    1 - 40 oz. can of red kidney beans
    1 - 15 oz. can of black beans
    1 - 15¼oz. can of yellow corn
    2 Tablespoons Chili powder
    1 Tablespoon Chipotle chile powder
    1 Teaspoon ground cumin
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    dash of paprika
    dash of cayenne pepper

1 large skillet/frying pan - the biggest you have
    1 large pot

Cut onions and peppers on the chunk side (about 1 inch chunks or so) and saute in a little oil (we use olive oil) in skillet until just beginning to show a little bit of browning. This is the key step, IMO.

Add ground beef and continue to cook until beef is browned. Salt & peeper to taste while cooking. Also while cooking, open cans of beans and corn, rinse well and drain. Remove beef and onion/pepper mixture and drain thoroughly.

Add beef and onion/pepper mixture to pot. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (undrained), beans, corn, bay leaves and spices.

Cover and simmer for at least 1½ hours, stirring occassionally.

Serve with sour cream and shredded cheddar (or Mexican blend) cheese.

Enjoy!

NOTES:
    1. Using a dash (probably about ¼-½ teaspoon) of the cayenne pepper ensures it's not too hot - you definitely know it's there, but it doesn't make it inedible. Add more if you like!
    2. This recipe works well with 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb ground venison. Haven't tried it with ground pork or bison (yet).
    3. As noted above, I believe one of the keys is getting the onion and pepper to carmelize some.
    4. Make it a day ahead if possible - the longer it sits the better it tastes!

Please, add your recipe to this thread!

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That sounds great! The corn and Black Beans are interesting. I may have to try it next week with some cubed Elk meat.

3. The Zook

The Zook New Member

I love corn in my chili... can't get my wife to try it though, she just looks at me like I lost my mind.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

that sounds awesome. I haven't tried corn in chilli, but it sure sounds good.

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Thanks for the recipe, T

I need a good one to WOW the friends and relatives and this really looks promising :happy096

6. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Sound great
    The firehouse must love that one.

7. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Sounds very similiar to my except I use stew meat and beer. The corn is a great addition that most people think is weird but never object when they try it:) It adds color and a different texture to the chili.

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Really sounds good, it's now on my list to try! Thanks!