Truefitt and Hill...which one? Better than TOBS?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Derhey, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I have posed this question to some friends and I wanted to get even more input...I want to try a Truefitt and Hill cream. What scent do you guys recommend? Is T&H better than Taylor of Old Bond Street? I like TOBS St. James, if that helps with recommending a T&H scent. I was thinking 1805. Anyone try the latest No. 10? So many questions! So many options! I am shave cream disorientated! Thanks for any advice you can lend.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have 1805, it is very nice. I also have ultimate comfort. I can used uc, then use whatever after treatment I'm in the mood for.( because it's unscented, it doesn't clash).
    when I use 1805, I usually go with musk or Brut, or maybe a leather scent. I don't have the matching
    a/s

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I haven't tried T&H so I can't say anything good or bad, St. James of London Lavender & Geranium is a fantastic cream, and of course TOBS is great. If you do decide to get T&H please let me know how it performs. TOBS Grapefruit is outstanding! Eton College, floral, lavender.

4. david of central florida

I have not tried tobs, but I can describe T&H as luxurious.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

Tobs lavender, and Eaton are my two favourites. I have eaton a/s as well and it's amazing stuff. I've just picked up some T+H no 10 cream half price at the local supermarket, so will try it this week and give it a mention.

6. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys! Jasio, please let me know what you what you think of #10. I appreciate it.

Jasio78 likes this.
  7. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Try Trafalgar. I really like Grafton but that is more a new twist on a barbershop scent.

I like ToB. T&H is better but twice as much? Not sure. For the money ToB Eton will always be a staple in my den. (T&H Grafton makes my list of must always have as well).

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Truefitt & Hill packages a nice sampler set and it was one of the first samplers I purchased. Actually they have two sets and I got the larger set that includes the colognes. All of their creams are good but I have to note that the Trafalgar scent wasn't my first choice but over time it's really grown to be a favorite.
    Better than TOBS? Once you become a connoisseur (thank you spellcheck) (okay, it sounds better than "addict") it's not necessarily that one is better than the other so much that you're appreciating each product and broadening your shaving knowledge and enhancing the whole grooming ritual with fine products fit for a man of your stature.
    And if the wife doesn't buy that line, just remind her what it would be like if she was married to Onslow.

9. david of central florida

well said

10. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thanks John...that is very well stated!

11. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anyone comment about T&F #10...anyone want to comment on that one? I have only heard good things about 1805. My favorite scent is Strop Shoppe Baker Street if anyone can relate that to a T&H scent. Thanks again guys!

12. jmr986

jmr986 New Member

1805 and TOBS are my #1 and #2, for now. T&H was very slick and the lather was more dense than TOBS. Yes its more money, but it is a slightly larger tub. Shaving is "me time" so I don't mind splurging a bit. But I can get by shaving every other day so it will last a while. Next I will try some of the other T&H scents.

13. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input jmr! I think you sealed the deal...time to feed my soap acquisition disorder!

14. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

Evening. Just wanted to report back, after a couple of shaves with T+H no10.

I have to say it was very good. I don't have an ounce of the knowledge some on here do, but I really enjoyed it. After a couple of test lathers in a bowl, then on the hand, using a silvertip badger, I found my best results were to shake off all the excess water after soaking the brush, and then add the water little and often. It soon whips up a good lather. The shave was comfortable, and irritation free. I was a little more aware of the alum bloc this morning. But that could be for a number of reasons. I did have to rinse my face very well, more than usual to get the soap from my face. Last of all the scent. It's very fresh and quite mild. You couldn't not like it. But it didn't fill me with a scented high, that sent me skipping off to work.
    Over all. A safe shaving cream. Pleasant, and good quality. And does what it needs to well. I got it at half price and would say it was worth the money. At normal price, I would buy the TOBS. I see a lot of the T+H line is more expensive and maybe a bit higher end. So maybe that's what we have here. A cheaper, little brother, of a one of the big boys.

15. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Excellent feedback/review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on #10...very much appreciated. I will look for some on sale.

Jasio78 likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Been using the T&H Ultimate comfort the past two days and really like it.

17. david of central florida

it very very nice, but it's not inexpensive. love the history of the company though. crazy to think they have been making shaving creme since 1805.

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh I'm using a sample that I got from somewhere :)

19. david of central florida

that's what I started with also, but it was so noticeably nice that when I saw a deal on it I jumped at it. the bill's not totally out of this world. but not cheap either. the a/s's are more. I have uc and 1805. both are nice.

20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive got the No10 cream and AS balm. Great performance, I'd say same as or better than the TOBS ive tried (5). The scent is pretty good, not sure how to describe it. Ive read it described as woodsy/herbal.