Try a Miracle Cloth not Flitz on Your Vintage Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Richard Dunbar, Sep 7, 2014.

1. I have found that Flitz was causing brassing on my Vintage Fat Boy Razor - I switched to a Miracle Cloth I got off EBay and got amazing results - I will be using Miracle Cloth on my Vintage Razors not Flitz! I have included a before and after picture.

Attached Files:

Slow Joe, BigMark and Boojum1 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Big difference! Great job! Good heads up.

Richard Dunbar and Boojum1 like this.
  3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I used Weimans and it caused some plating loss for me. Flitz even has a statement on their website that the metal polish is not suitable for electroplated items. When I Read that a product is safe for Chrome and Nickel I assume it is safe for plating, well it might not be. Be careful people and learn form the mistakes of others.

Richard Dunbar and Boojum1 like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Any polish uses some amount of abrasives in order to 'do its job.' Some polishes are more aggressive than others in removing build-up. The Miracle Cloth works on lighter surface gunk, but is not effective on the more determined gunk. This is why I use a variety of polishes and cloths, depending upon the need.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  5. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I have used Miracle Cloths for years for cleaning fishing reels and nickel silver fly rod components. Has always worked very well for me.

Boojum1, Richard Dunbar and ObiDon like this.
  6. razrmnky

razrmnky Active Member

I use toothpaste. I know that's ghetto, but my razor isn't worth anything so I'm not too worried about ruining its value.

Richard Dunbar likes this.
  7. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I can't remember the name of the member who had this idea, but they said they used ketchup. I felt a bit of a fool sitting in my living room spreading ketchup on my Gillette New, hoping to god my wife didn't walk in. But it worked!! You just have to remember to wash the ketchup off well otherwise it'll smell weird. A great way to spruce up a slightly dirty razor. :)

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Its the vinegar...

9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

And it makes it very tasty. :rofl:

Seriously, though, ketchup is a good cleaner.

10. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Yep ketchup is a good cleaner! It helps me clean my plate of French fries.:eatdrink020: