Trying to get 50k...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Brian, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

I am a small business owner and have learned to do my best business, I must meet my customers needs. Be that a certain topping or a brand of sodapop or even a certain type of chips. I don't just jump up and stock it when one person asks for it, but when several do, you can bet I take that into consideration.

Now put yourself in these shoes, only on a national level, or lets even go bigger, a global level. And lets say it's not just one or two, or even a few hundred, but 50,000 people... Voting for my companies popularity, by spending their money, choosing my product over the competitions.

I want to keep your money flowing into my companies coffers, you'd think I just might listen with 50,000 voices saying the same thing then.... Right?

Afterall, this isn't a NEW emerging market that I'm trying to break into, but something that built the company from scratch. Something that still drives the company forward in developing nations.

And what product is it you may ask?

Simply the double edge safety razor and it's blades. No new special equipment to buy, no new presses, nothing except opening a market door that has been closed.

I am looking for like minded wetshavers to sign a petition to send to Mr. Mark M. Leckie Chief Executive Officer and President of Gillette. Asking him to start selling to us, an affordable, quality, American made product.

A fellow member here said getting blades and supplies off the net was easy enough. Well, I agree. BUT... I also remember the times before Wal Mart, where you could pop into a corner shop and see what you were buying. Have it in your hand, to take home right then and enjoy. Not have to pay postage and wait.

I don't know what reasons drove you to try wet shaving, but for me there was several different ones. I wanted a better shave, one where I didn't get ingrown hairs, razor burn, and just a mediocre shave. I also did it because I remember watching my father and grandfather shave this way. I still have my father, but lost my grandfather some time ago, and yet... each time I whip up that thick lather with my mug and brush, and smooth it across my cheeks, I am transported back to a child watching him do the same thing. Watching him in the mirror as I drag the razor across my whiskers, finding a connection with him after so many years.

How many of us shave this way for nostalgia, longing for a more simple past. Something to give us a firm foundation in this ever changing world. Have you ever wondered just why you need or want this me time? But wouldn't you miss it if you went back to your former cartridge razors? I know I would.

50,000 wet shavers signatures, thats what I'm looking for. I hope to get them to show Mr. Leckie. That there are still double and single edge users out there, enough perhaps to reopen the market for us here in the States. Perhaps I am still young enough to be naive, and believe people who want a change in the system can make it happen. Perhaps it's my naive belief that buying American makes a stronger America, a better America for all of us. One where we keep our dollars here, our jobs here, and don't plan to burden our great-grand children with our debt.

Well, I'll get off my soap box for now. Thank you for sticking with me for this long, and if you did read it to complete, and believe like I do... Then perhaps you'll sign the petition below.

http://www.change.org/petitions/gillette-manufacturing-inc-provide-quality-affordable-double-edge-shaving-gear-to-the-us?share_id=rbQYODpvKk&pe=pce

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I signed it, but I am skeptical about getting 50K signatures. However, best of luck!

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Good luck with your quest. I signed it as well.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thanks for signing!

If any of you who sign belong to other wet shaver sites, I would be greatful if you were to repost there. Who knows what may happen, but at least it can never be said we sat by and rested on our lorals while DE was pushed to the wayside here in American shops.

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I signed as well!

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Wow, I'm on my tablet and I can't make out a thing in the main text because of the text color.... :o

I'll have to remember to have another read of this when I get to a full computer.

7. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

+1 I hope you can get it... not sure if it will happen or not though.

8. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

I signed it. Thanks for taking the initiative on this.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I couldn't read it on my laptop. I edited out the silver text color.

The petition is a worthy idea, but the petition letter seems to be missing stuff. Maybe, I'm just really tired after my long day, but the first sentence doesn't seem to be a complete sentence. :confused:
    The letter seems demanding, too.

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

Their format limits you to space size on certain things, that was the fourth or fifth attempt with a few dozen server errors to throw in with the mix. I would be more than happy for any help or guidence you or any other member might want to share with me. The letter can still be edited, so if perhaps in the morn or when you have time and aren't tired you could jot down, refine it's rough edges I'd be happy to change it. I'm sure the rest of us agree you have done more than all of us combined to promote the hobby of wet shaving. And I for one thank you for it.

11. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

Signed! Best of luck!

12. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Normally I don't touch petitions at all. I signed this one because I like the concept. I don't think they will care too much even if you reach 50,000 or more, they already are making money on us buying their products even though they are manufactured over seas. Good luck with it though and I hope you get all the sigs you need to send it in.

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Sorry Brian, the grey text colors just don't work well with the TSD colors, makes everything look ghosted, so I had to read the text in the reply box.

Much easier to read with black text now. :happy088

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

Sorry there, I have TSD dark and can't see when I have it in black text, so I swapped back to standard. I got mixed on the text color when trying to change over the Gillettes' presidents name, so then I ended up going to black which I couldn't see, then to the gray/silver scale. Things should be easier now.:o

15. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

Petition signed. It my not make a difference to Gillette, Proctor & Gamble, or whoever else, but it shows there is an interest. I was in my local AOS the other day (which the people are pretty cool at, believe it or not) and they said they are going to be selling Gillette Platinum blades and even GAVE me a couple to try. Their barbers have been using them for a while, but they are going to make them available for purchase soon. That alone shows there is a possibility of growth and expansion in available DE products.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    In my opinion, AOS is proof that Gillette is not in the dark about the trending towards DE shaving. Whether Gillette plans to sink AOS or grow it, they know about us.

17. howlwolf

howlwolf Member

Done

AAaaaaWWWWWOOOOOOooooooooooo

18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The Art of Shaving in my neck of the woods now has Gillette Fusion style razors and cartridges front and center in the store. The safety and straight razors, what few they still carry, are now in two small displays off to one side. This is in marked contrast to the pre-Gillette days when the safety razors took center stage, along with quite a variety of straights. AOS gives out a complementary DVD with purchases. All of the shaving scenes show a cartridge razor.

It looks like Gillette is using AOS to co-opt the traditional wetshaving movement, but using their expensive cartridge razors instead of DEs and straights. They obviously intend to grow the business in a way that maximizes their profit, and DE shaving isn't part of the game plan.

I think that Brian's idea of petitioning Gillette to reintroduce safety razors is a good one. For the reasons outlined in this Snopes article, I don't think an e-petition is the best means. E-petitions might not have much effect, but thousands of individual letters would definitely be noticed. Why not start a letter writing campaign?

It wouldn't hurt our cause to invite a Gillette rep to the Chicago Wetshavers Expo, too.

19. Brian

Brian Active Member

I agree about the e-petition, but it is the best means to reach so many, as quickly as we can. This petition site has the means to have it printed off into paper form, which is how I plan to send it.

But a letter writing campaign is a brilliant idea as well. Here is Gillettes Corp Officers and address, phone and fax.

Gillette Company
    800 Boylston Street
    Boston, MA
    United States

Phone: 617-421-7000

Fax: 617-421-7123

Mr. Mark M. Leckie
    Chief Executive Officer and President

Mr. Charles W. CrambChief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President - Finance

Mr. Peter K. HoffmanVice President and President - Global Business Management - Blades and Razors

Mr. Joseph F. DooleyVice President

Mr. Joseph ScalzoVice President

From what I have read on letter writinng campaigns, a hand written letter will take the most notice since it took the most time to complete. Next is type written, which isn't taken as serious if it is a form or chain letter (exact copies with just different names, and then there are petitions. But all will show them we are serious about wanting more products marketed here in the States.

For more information, I found all of this at: http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=29004

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Signed and sealed.