Trying to pick a badger

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rob206, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

I've only ever used a boar brush. I'm trying to pick a badger in my price range 20 to 40 bucks. Here is the 4 I've narrowed it down to. Any advice?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rev579, Frijolero, Terry and 4 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You MUST look at the Stirling 24mm Finest. $39.95. I think he may have seconds for slightly less.

3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I can narrow it down to two. Stay away from pure badger. So the Stirling or the Wee Scot.

Frijolero, Rev579 and Rob206 like this.
  4. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

The Wee Scott is a very small brush with a very small handle. A lot of people don't like if for that reason but it is a very good brush. Probably not a good choice for your first badger unless you know you like small brushes and wish you had something even smaller.:)

I've never tried the Simpson Pure badger but I think most people would advise that it is best to get their higher grade badger.

Frijolero and Rob206 like this.
  5. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

You will not regret buying a badger brush from Stirling. They are the best bang for the buck far. Dense and firm and soft tips with a great handle. I have bough several brushes from Stirling and haven't regretted it. I bought a "seconds" badger from them and it is the best I have received from them. I couldn't really see any flaw? Their $10.00 Boar brush has a great handle and is as good as any boar brush out there IMHO!

6. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Wee Scott is pretty tiny. I have the Simpson’s case brush which is a bit bigger. Great for traveling and as a regular every day brush!

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Yaqi from aliexpress are noted as very nice. I believe that @Linuxguile has a few that he enjoys as do a few other people on here. I know stirling gets theirs from yaqi.

BTW I’m thinking of picking up a couple.

Frijolero, Linuxguile and Rob206 like this.
  8. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Also found these silver tip on wcs for 44$. But I'm leaning towards the Stirling [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9. BigMark83

@Rob206 . Do you bowl or face lather? While not set in stone Fans are usually preferred for face lathering and bulbs for bowl lathering. I had a WCS and wasn't a fan, it also doesn't help that the knot wasn't even glued. I couldn't return it because it was a sale item.

10. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

I do both face and bowl. Depending
    on the soap. Face lather soap sticks and bowl lather the others

Frijolero likes this.
  11. BigMark83

I've only got experience with face lathering, but maybe someone else can offer more assistance.

Frijolero, Linuxguile and Rob206 like this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I find the the silver tip knots to be too floppy for my tastes. Two band finest is the sweet spot for me with nice backbone and soft tips. You can't go wrong with Stirling or Yaqi.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Good to know. :happy088:

Frijolero, Rob206 and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

just by what i have the simpson best badger is really good.i like finest/best/2 band the most.soft and backbone..

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've gathered the same! :think002:

In the recent past best badger was given label of barely a step above black badger (which is NOT the case). The problem is the that seller to seller will grade them and label them in their own ways; confusing the snot out of a relatively simple task of grading badger knots.

In my beginning of my time purchasing knots I steered away from badgers due that they were often marketed under confusing labels. Now I don't look at their name as much as the knot itself to make the call of the desired texture for the individuals face.

16. brit

brit in a box

i had a vulfix pure badger,didn't like it and passed it along.floppy and scritchy. while haven't tried a silvertip i imagine it a little like the synth knots i have.is backbone related to density?

Frijolero, Rob206 and Enrico like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I find a lot of is the particular hair they're using (where they harvested off the badger). Back and outer legs differ than belly, chest and neck. Check out a dog or cats fur; the back is more prickly than the legs, chest or belly. I'm going to try a SHD (Super High Density) knot from Maggard's soon and maybe Frank Shaves knots. You have DS Cosmetics knot in your brush and I thought it was a super nice knot.

To answer your question ..... I'd say backbone and density are two different characteristics of brushes. You could have a very dense brush with little backbone depending on the hair that was used.

Sorry if I'm not very clear. :signs002:

Frijolero, brit, Rob206 and 2 others like this.
  18. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

@Rob206 - Do you know what you like in a badger? More or less backbone? Scritch or super-soft? Are you looking for a brush that is super-big or on the small size? Are you using a cream or a soap?
    In many ways a Finest can be far better than a Silver-Tip. A Finest will work great with cream or soap.

The Simpson Wee Scot is a 13mm-14mm knot and the handle is about as not as wide as a quarter or taller than than the 38mm loft of the knot. It's great for face lathering or hand lathering. If you have a small bowl or scuttle, it's also really useful.

The Stirling Finest could easily be on the other end of the spectrum. Here’s picture for comparison:
    0570EE24-2326-457F-B789-E1E9103DA096.jpeg
    (L to R) Ever-Ready 100T w/a Maggard Black & White synthetic knot, Simpson The Duke with a 20mm TGN Silvertip Grade A, Semogue 730HD, Simpson Wee Scot, Stirling 24mm Finest Badger(Fan Shape).

19. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

I've never used badger . But I'd say I'd be looking for soft tipped, medium size, medium stiffness or backbone. I've been using arko, cella in a tub, Stirling soap. Probably throwing derby in the mix

Frijolero and Linuxguile like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

What kind of brush have you been using and do you want the new brush to be sorta similar feeling?

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Frijolero, brit, Enrico and 2 others like this.