TSD coffee club

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by moviemaniac, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Coffee nazi here too.

Macap M5
    [​IMG]

La Pavoni
    [​IMG]

Elektra dynamometric tamper
    [​IMG]

The truth is I always drink my Harrar out of my Eileen:
    [​IMG]

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Jeez, Yukio, you not only take the best photographs, you have the nicest setup as well :drool

3. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Thanks, Klaus. I forgot. I also have an Alessi Compasso d'Oro. I get intraveinous injections of coffee everyday. :D

[​IMG]

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

Another Java Junkie here.......Nothing too fancy,

just where we get our fixes.....:D Miss Anita and a Mazzer Mini ;)

[​IMG]

5. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I bow to the Mazzer. Forza Italia.

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Haha, and I bow to the La Pavoni and Macap.....that Elektra tamper is the BOMB!! :drool :drool :drool :cool:

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm on it.

Sorry, Ray. Has to be done. :agelic13 A hug for the road.

:happy102

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I'm lazy, I'll just stick with my Keurig. :D
    [​IMG]

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Wow, Yukio -- I'm glad I posted before you, because I sure don't want to follow THAT act! :happy102

10. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Aeropress. Usually store bought beans, like Dunkin Doughnuts or Eight O'Clock or maybe Mill Stone. Blade grinder a la Black & Decker. Simple but tasty.

11. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

And this thread just proves Rick and I were separated at birth. :D

12. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I usually get beans in bulk at Sam's or whole beans from a grocery store. For a coffee maker I use one of these:

[​IMG]

It's nothing special, but it gets the job done and I'm not afraid of the kids breaking the carafe. I use the timer on weekdays.

13. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

By the way, my favourite reasonably-priced coffees are Moka Harrar, Brazil and Hispaniola. My favourite not-so-reasonably-priced ones are Australian Skybury, Panama and Birmania (the latter probably being harvested with the help of children). My favourite expensive coffee is Hawaii Kona Extra Fancy.

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

They cost a bit more than the glass presses, but I recommend a Frieling -- beautiful, functional, and built to last.

By the way, has anybody had the opportunity to try Kopi Luwak?

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Very nice stuff, Neale! Those E61-machines sure are purdy! :D

@Yukio: Currently my favourite is Monsooned Malabar from India, roasted a tad lighter than usual. Chocolate all the way :drool

@Rick: Nope, I've never tried it. Besides, the two most expensive coffees in the world, Kopi Luwak and Jamaian Blue Mountan are said to taste best when made in a french press and not in an espresso machine. Therefore I will most likely never try them. But, honestly, it's all just hype anyway ;)

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

Welcome Readerbob!

So, how do you like your Behmor? I am / have been thinking about getting one for a few months now...Does it seem like a well built unit? How is the quality of the roast? nice and even? After a year of use are you still happy? Would you buy it again?

How much coffee per week would you say you roast in it?

I have read reviews on it, but it's always nice to have first hand experiences :)

Thanks for sharing and welcome to TSD! :cool:

Neale

17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Mmm tea. My tea brewing outfit consists of tea bags and a cup, some hot water helps greatly.

Having a cup of white now, delish.

18. Padron

Padron Active Member

@ Klaus, thanks! the E61 and HX combination has been great :cool: The thing is great for steaming and yields a very stable temperature..seems like it will steam for ever :happy005

Thanks too for reminding me to dig out my Rancilio naked portaflter....I hadn't used it in a while and it is fun......my wife doesn't have her tamping skills down enough to yield a good draw every time.....she did Ok though this morning :)

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

@MTgrayling and burnWood: I love both coffee and tea :D

@Neale: Those naked portafilters sure are fun. I definitely get more crema with mine compared to the standard portafilter :D

20. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I do like my coffee. I have some great roasters in the area that I go to school but now that I'm moving back to NY the roasters close to me are pretty limited (and non-existant). So I started roasting my own. I have a drum I picked up off of Neale and I'm using it in the BBQ. My first attempt went pretty bad. The second turned out better and smelled like coffee but was under roasted. I've finally got the noises down and my last attempt produced a great cup that I'm drinking right now. I use a french press for coffee and have a saeco aroma for espresso. I'm currently in the market for a grinder.