TSD coffee club

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by moviemaniac, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice Jason,

Glad to hear you roasting skills are progressing, I was usually roasting to about a full city roast in the basket and it did take some experimentation as I would usually roast about 1 pound at a time.......my problem was my grill didn't always get that hot :( as it was pretty big and was getting older......

...then the motor burnt out on my rotissere and I was done :( I am sure I roasted at least 50 pounds in that basket though and it did work well for us :)

Keep us posted on your progress, what grinders are you looking at?

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Like everything else I like it is old school for me.

Aluminum Drip o lator..prefer dark roast coffee... usually community or Mello joy. Have an electric grinder and when i pick up whole beans to grind they are the best.

I also have a couple of stove top percolators... which give coffee snobs hives.. but make real stout dark bark at you and chew your ankles coffee.. I love it.

Fuzzy

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Well... So far I havent been able to get the rotisserie motor to work with either of the 2 grills I've used them on. Its hard to control the temperature because it seems there isnt really a way to get an accurate reading. I bought a candy thermometer and than shoved it in through a small hole I drilled and kept it at 400 but it took about 20 minutes to reach first crack with a half pound and than it just burnt up before second. So I ditched the thermometer and just crank it up a little past low and go at it. The only problem I'm having is that second crack follows first crack by maybe 30 seconds. I think it might be at too high a temp but I dont know. If I lower the temp it takes much longer to reach first. I've been hand cranking it for the 10-14 minutes of roasting.

4. Readerbob

Readerbob New Member

It is very well made, and I'm pleased with it. While I haven't needed any service, I'm told that it is excellent - basically backed by the inventor. I roast 2-3 pounds of coffee in it - mostly for myself. My wife drinks decaf occassionally. I've roasted 5 pounds in a day preparing a gift for a good friend. No problem. I would definitely buy it again.

My one complaint is that is roasts relatively light, so you have to crank up all the extra time it will allow you (usually - there are exceptions) to get a nice dark roast. I also only roast around 14 oz on the pound setting. Otherwise, it's great. Different roast profiles and lots of room to fiddle!

--Bob

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Bob :D

Great info, I am pretty sure the Behmor will be our next roaster.......it sounds like it will be great :) I have read that it can roast to the light side....but it sounds like it's easy enough to get it where you want it with increased time :cool:

Neale

6. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Mine is a teapot, a mug and a tea stick. Tea stick was the best invention I have. Had an apricot fruit tea from adagio this morning. yummy.

There will be no banning of the tea lovers.

7. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

:sad024

8. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

I like the aeropress as well... I just have a hard time leaving my normal routine of the one-cup basket filter (eh.... "manual" version) to use it.

I roast my own beans, too. I recommend it highly, for price and freshness.

Sweet Maria's has all kinds of information on how to do it, some methods are very inexpensive, and some more costly.

The danger being, once you get used to good, fresh coffee, the typical stuff becomes darned near unbearable. (I realize this phenomenon is also what the folks who get "better" coffee from Starbucks, etc. go through, as well.)

9. JayKay

Here's my first full pound roast. I stopped 2 minutes into first crack. The package recommends full city, and I'd say its somewhere around there. I think...

[​IMG]

10. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Gorgeous! A little beyond Full City, though, I'm thinking.

11. JayKay

It did look darker than FC according to the SM pictures. Maybe FC+, but deffinetly not vienna

12. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You got that backwards. You're being banned for hating coffee, not for loving tea. I like tea, but I love coffee! :drool

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

Mmmmm, Delicious :drool :drool

15. JayKay

Its time to buy your new roaster! That coffee is going to taste better, because its full of LOVE! 20 minutes hand cranking during another blizzard (I was covered atleast) at 19 degrees. Took a little bit to distinquish between first crack and snow flakes sizzling on the grill cover. But it'll be yummy in a couple days.

16. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Mmmmmhhhhh... those look delicious! I'll have to go and brew myself a shot now...

17. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

...............mom always DID like you best.
    Nice set up, brah !!

Just got back from our weekend away and the room had one of those Keurig machines............pretty slick but the coffee wasnt that great.

18. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

19. jfl

jfl New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rodd View Post
    I am curious about french presses, I have wanted one for a long time, but the thing that kept me from them is I was afraid they would be a pain to clean. Is that true? If not, anyone have a recommendation on a nice inexpensive one? My wife is looking for a birthday present for me.

I really prefer the Aeropress for easy cleaning and strong smooth coffee.

I find damp grinds at the bottom of a tall glass beaker of a French press a pain to remove. I don't want to dump it down the drain or disposal and you can't bang it against something to dislodge the grinds into the garbage can.

With the Aeropress, the whole puck of grinds gets pushed into the garbage can.

20. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Oh cool! I just googled it. I have not seen those before. The reviews seem really good, and it looks very easy to clean. That would be perfect for at work too. Thanks!