TSD History

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by swarden43, May 1, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Who's idea was TSD?
    How did it get started?
    Who made the first post and when?
    Who were the founding members?
    What were the original forum categories?
    What categories were tried but just didn't work out?

Just wondering.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent questions.
    I would like to this as well.

burnout961 likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I have found it interesting and amusing that the forums develop from pioneering former disgruntled members. B and B came from SMF former members . Shave Den came from B and B former members. Razor and Brush message board largely started as a result of a ban from B and B and SMF with many original members emigrating from B and B. British based Pogotonomy forum seems to come out of its founder not liking how the other Brit forum , the Shaving Room, was run.

Members of other forums found their own colony, seems like the general pattern for most forums.

Douglas Carey and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Oh wow... You're gonna make me think with this one aren't ya. I had to look back through some old posts to get this info. Man, I forgot how much things have changed, I just found a post in the mod section where we were scrounging for $35 to keep things going. Here goes. I apologize in advance if i've missed anyone, as it's been several years ago. If someone catches anything i've missed, feel free to add.

Who's idea was TSD?

I guess that would be me.

How did it get started?

A couple of our founding moderators were unhappy with the current options, and felt that we might be able to create something more in line with what we were looking for. In a nutshell, our goal was to create a more relaxed, and less refined atmosphere, more akin to say the local pub.

Who made the first post and when?

Here's the first publicly viewable thread. It's not much for reading, but it's full of excitement and naivety for what we would become. As some of you might notice, most of the thread was mods and future mods. I believe the first "civilian" would be sslstudio or DragonBoy.

Who were the founding members?

Sparky5693, Mama Bear, Trader Joe, Queen Of Blades

What were the original forum categories?

We were pretty close to what we have now, excluding:
    Razor restoration, Head Shaving, Inside the Den, The Cookbook, Freebies and Wanted (they were contained within other sections)

What categories were tried but just didn't work out?

You know, we still have them now. Forum Auctions was once integral to TSD making it, as it was our only source of income. Since we got the store opened, this section has really lost it's use. I should probably consolidate out alternative methods section as well :o

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Without trying to start a finger pointing war, or cause any grief, what caused Sue to go back to B&B?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Hank

Hank Active Member

It was interesting to read the origanal thread thanks for that my spelling sucks today but I am to tired to fix it

7. swarden43

As the OP, I'd personally like to keep this thread to the beginnings of TSD and how it has evolved into what it is today, not who left and why. Suffice it to say she is just no longer here? Nothing personal Aaron, and I know you mean no harm, but the last thing I want to see is the finger pointing war to get started and grief to be caused.

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Thanks. This thread is a interesting one for sure.

9. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Thanks for asking those questions Steve, it was very interesting to see the founding fathers/mothers at work. I'll also add it was quite classy. A recent spin-off board I will not mention started with venom and anger-what a turn off.

10. swarden43

Just had time to read the first post - Feb. 3, 2007. Very cool indeed.

From Blair, "the leadership is different here, and that this will soon be a group that can take its place among the top internet forums." Very prophetic words.

And from Rene, "Some places make you feel like your visiting them,some place just feel like home. nuff said .." So true.

Thanks for history lesson, Sparky!

Anybody else with questions about how we got to were we are today?

Old School and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Fair enough Steve, I just figured since she was a part of the beginnings it would be interesting to know.

I did just get a PM with some information, no harm no foul, commence with the history of TSD!

;)

12. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Shave Den does feel like a friendly pub. The founders did it right.

gorgo2, Rufus T. and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Ya know, over the years there's been a ton of reasons that have been circulating around the net, and not in a single place have I read the real reason for what happened. I never wanted things to become a finger pointing battle, but the real truth is that we came to a difference of opinion on what we wanted TSD to become. If I get into details, it just becomes a "he said she said" with everyone giving a different story. I will take this time to squelch a few of the rumors.

TSD was started by myself.
    Mama Bear has never been banned from here.
    TSD products and MamaBear products did not, and do not share the same recipes.

Now that i've said that, I really would like to "move along". :o

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Whatever the impetus was in creating TSD, I sure am glad Ya'll did it and I am very honored to be a member of this family!

Group Hug!

15. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I think it would be interesting get more facts about the store.

When it opened (same as forum? before?)?
    First items?
    First scents?

16. swarden43

More great questions!

17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

:sihns011

18. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

This is a great thread - for the newbies and us yearlings as well. TSD has brought me a lot of good times in the last year or so and I am loving finding out more about its past!

Thanks for the hard work you all put into making this a great place!

19. swarden43

What "shaving" thread became the longest running in number of posts? - not to include the likes of Chatter Box topics.

Seems right now the going thing is Voskhod blades. Those who have been here a while, what have you seen come, go, then come back again?

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    August 2007. After the forum. The forum is the reason for the store. We needed a way to pay the bills around here.

TSD shaving soap was born first. Can't find a thread.
    Shaving cream was born here.
    My first Vendor Corner thread here.

First TSD fragrance was orange I believe.

I'm not very sentimental so I haven't really kept track of much of these things. :o