TSD History

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by swarden43, May 1, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

This is turning out to be more fun than I had hoped :D

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Wow... been here for over 2 years and keep learning new things about the place.

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Thanks, that is pretty interesting. I love learning the little different things. Now time to think of some other questions :confused:

4. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

+1

5. NoahG

NoahG Member

Just want to toss in my 2¢... I really love what everyone here has created. I've poked around other forums off and on for the last couple of years and found alot of great information, but this is the only one that called to me out of the shadows and into the light with the true sense of comradery and community, actually welcoming in noobs like myself. I feel like I have found a home here too and hope that I can do whatever little bit I can to keep it going.

Paul Turner and Rufus T. like this.
  6. Hank

Hank Active Member

This place has been refered to a pub I like to think of it as Cheers we all like beer be it expencive or cheep beer it's all beer. It's not that neighborhood bar where only the locals are welcome and if you aren't from the neighborhood you better not come here because this is "our" bar. Everyone whom is thisty is welcome here. At least that's how it feels to me. I may not have much to say, I may just sit back and drink my beer but I pick up an interesting conversation here and there.

7. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

You show up one day at a place like this, and treat like an institution, something that's always been there and always will be. There has to be a story behind it though, and on the Internet, it's probably a fairly recent story. Thanks for filling in a little bit of the background.

Of course, it's not just the Internet that's like that. That neighborhood bar that's your regular hangout, the one that you just take for granted will be there when you want, it will fold if it doesn't get enough support, and can't pay the bills. We can help keep TSD alive by making it interesting enough that people want to hang out here, and by occasionally contributing through the store.

Rufus T. likes this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It was Rene (SSL Studio) who brought me in here - so I owe it all to him.

9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

interesting thank you for posting this.

Bird Lives likes this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

This is great! Thanks Steve for bringing this back during the Den's 7th B-day week....

I know the way I made the scene was Autumn 2009...I was looking for a way to mail order Mach3 carts and I saw an article by Corey Greenberg about TWS...I didn't even know you could still get Injector and DE blades anymore...So I Goggled that, and clicked a link to 'The Shave Den' and my very first view; it was destiny; I walked into a discussion between Bill and Crackstar/Jeff....It was hilarious!! I was sitting there by myself laughing out loud. But it was also informative and immediately upon leaving my comp. I went downtown to a Turkish Barber Depot and bought a Ming-shi razor and a pack of Perma-Sharp Supers and never turned back.

I continued to check in and lurk everyday to see what my new friends were talking about and several months later I joined just so I could actually meet these guys and girl, who made me laugh daily....and I was learning how to get the best shaves of my life at the same time...And it's been a pleasure ever since...

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it...lol

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

This is a "FANTASTIC" post!!! It should be posted permenantly somewhere so all can learn from it and enjoy it..;)
    Without knowing where your at and how you got to here, you can never know where your going...:) I joined TSD around 2 years ago after lurking around here and several other forums for a while, I settle here at the Den and have "NEVER" looked back...I always liked the openess to discussion and sharing around here, even repeated topics...
    Sue was gone before I arrived I believe and so I never interacted with her,but in the time I've been here several people I have interacted with(regulars I would call them) have come and gone...I like the fact that people can come here, enjoy their visit, leave and then on occasion come back.. With no ill feelings..:happy088:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I'm glad to calling TSD my web home! I check this place more than Facebook. No one I know is a member here, so I feel like I can't vent and feel exclusive. I love TSD & the members. Thank y'all for being awesome! Keep up the great work MODS.

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My take is that The Shave Den is more refined than most wetshaving forums, yet at the same time a lot more laid back. It is a great combination! Best of all, there are no conflicts of interest here, and very friendly and civil discourse. Kind of like the very best of the local pubs.

It is amazing how many people discover traditional wetshaving while looking for price breaks on cartridges. So many people have mentioned that in their introductory posts. And Corey Greenberg.... he did more than any other person to promote wetshaving IMHO, and single-handedly jump started the current revival. He deserves a medal, or at the very least a Nobel prize in Wetshaving Science.

Rufus T. and ObiDon like this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the Corey Greenberg shaving segment(NBC Today Show) from when I first started my journey into "traditional" shaving(seems like a 100 years ago because this type of shaving is so natural, intuitive and pleasureable)...
    I was hunting absolutely any information I could find on the subject....His insights are just as sound today as back then, more importantly it gave "traditional" shaving a national forum,national exposure and helped reawaken a "personal part of life" that was being usurped by "Big Business"..:)

Rufus T. likes this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A fun bump for the Newbies!

Bill_F, Spyder, 178-bplatoon and 3 others like this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for the bump. I don't know how I missed this thread. It was a fun read.

18. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

What a fantastic bump. This is truly a piece of history and ought to be bumped on a yearly basis :)

19. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Definitely a good bump. Fun to read about TSD's origins. All I know is I am very glad I landed here!

20. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Great read. Thanks for bringing this one back. :happy088: