TSD Lanolin Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by thinklikeh20, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Irish Spring smells just like the body wash. I guess if you want fresh, go for that or the English Fern.

Llyr likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you like fresh scents, go with Limes or Aqua Di Gio Type. I would recommend more, but I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't like...any of the "masculine" scents." English Fern is awesome, but generations of Englishmen would tell you that it is most certainly a masculine scent.

Llyr likes this.
  3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not exactly. The full ingredients are listed on the product pages.
    Lanolin is just one of the ingredients that is different between the two types of soap.
    Not sure what "fresh" means. Fragrances are generally; fruit, floral, aquatic, wood, spice

I have a lot of fragrances listed on the scent description page I linked you to. If any look interesting, you can ask about them specifically, and either I or the members can give you feedback on the scent.

Also, if you can share more detail about some scents that you do like, we can be of more help. Doesn't have to be cologne scents, either. I have fragrances ranging from motor oil to jelly doughnuts to roses, and just about everything in between.

Llyr and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Coconut Lime Verbena. Fresh and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

Llyr likes this.
  5. ebag

ebag New Member

Very nice reply, thank you. I'll try to be more specific.
    First question is on soaps. In terms of slickness, moisturizer, protection how would you rate each soap (lanolin vs no lanolin)?
    Second question is on the scent. After I read jelly doughnuts, that's all I think about :) But seriously, I didn't know there were scent classifications like you listed. I like more fruity and aquatic scents, light and fresh is the best I can describe.
    Thanks again!

Llyr likes this.
  6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'll leave this for other folks to respond. I'm not a salesperson and I realize my own bias towards my own products. Thus my thoughts on the performance of my products is not fair to you or my customers. That's also why I have folks who test my products before I even think about selling them.

I have a lot of fruity fragrances, and they are pretty self-explanatory by their names. One of my favorite fruity fragrances is Polynesian Red (not so self-explanatory :o); it smells like Hawaiian Punch. But I also have orange, lime, coconut, grapefruit, coconut lime verbena etc, etc.....
    For aquatic; Crystal Blue, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Type, Winter Pagoda.

I have a ton of fragrances. I love them! I even have more that aren't listed in the store.

You're very welcome! :)

Oh, almost forgot, speaking of fruity fragrances, I have The Shave Den *Limited Run* Shaving Soaps, current scent is pineapple. That might interest you.

Llyr likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You would be better off trying to rate JoAnna's TSD Products vs. Everything Else. If it comes from the TSD Store, it is a world class product. No marketing hype, no fancy advertising...just products for wet shavers, by a wet shaver. TSD approved! From personal experience, there are only a few creams that are the equal of her shaving creams, TSD Shave Milk is awesome stuff and the only thing that really compares to it is Trumper's Skin Food. Ditto for her colognes. I really haven't tried anything else from the store yet.

Llyr likes this.
  8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

As a user of JoAnna's soaps, I'll be happy to give my opinion.

Slickness - I'm not sure if you tried the old TSD soap, but it was rather average in terms of slickness. The new Lanolin soap is extremely good here. I can think of two soaps (out of a few dozen I've tried) that I'd give a slight edge on slickness to compared to TSD lanolin. Really, once you're at this level, I don't find being more slick to really matter.

Moisture / Skin Care - My skin is more on the oily end, so I'm not always the best comparison. But, my skin feels great after using TSD lanolin soap and I don't really need AS when I used it.

Protection - Definitely better than most. It does depend a little on your water. I used some while traveling and with hard water it was in the good range (still better than 3/4 of what I've tried), but when the water isn't hard it is exceptional. Even with hard water, to me it just means not rushing my shave if I don't want some mild irritation - something I shouldn't do anyway.

9. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Man, this is being hard... I just told SWMBO 2 days ago when my last brush arrived that I was declaring a 1 year moratorium on new products so I could use up some inventory, and start to realize some of that "savings". Now this... how does it compare to Mikes Natural or MWF? I sooooo want to try this! :(

Can anyone think of a way I can order some and not go back on my word? Some justification? Anything? Please? Help!:signs131:

Llyr likes this.
  10. ebag

ebag New Member

In my understanding it's not triple milled shaving soap, so can't really compare. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Llyr likes this.
  11. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

There is always trading that can be done. Say if someone bought a spare and you just so happen to have an extra of something...

Llyr and jeraldgordon like this.
  12. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

[​IMG] Hmmm, you could always buy some for SWMBO and just ask to borrow it every day?

Llyr, jeraldgordon and swarden43 like this.
  13. jeraldgordon

Performance is performance - whether it comes from a hard milled soap, a Italian-style soft soap, or a cream. That is the only comparison I'm looking for. I like lanolin!

Llyr likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Ask Fishcrow to buy you some, sign up for the travel box, and PIF Fishcrow something nice.;) That would be the simplest workaround I can think of.:)

Llyr and jeraldgordon like this.
  15. ebag

ebag New Member

So, you're saying that by comparison, TSD is better than MWF in performance?

Llyr likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    He hasn't tried the TSD lanolin soap yet. He wants to.

Llyr likes this.
  17. ebag

ebag New Member

I am definitely in for a few pucks of each, the variety of scents is just incredible, don't think I have seen so much variety anywhere else. For the performance... I will not be able to compare this soap to any triple milled one, just because they are different.

Llyr likes this.
  18. jeraldgordon

I think you are missing the point. It doesn't matter what form the shave soap takes - hard milled, soft milled, cream - what I want to compare is the slip, cushion, and skin care. A pickup truck is still a pickup truck, whether one is a Ford and another a GMC, whether one is red and one is white, and I can directly compare their performance. The only objective difference in how a shaving soap is formulated - hard milled, soft milled, cream - is how much water is left in the product at the conclusion of its manufacture. A triple milled soap is very dry, and a cream is a soap that is already half hydrated. But my final goal is a thick, creamy lather, no matter what the starting point is. So, no, they are not different in the end, they just require different steps in their preparation; a different process in reaching the same end point.

Llyr likes this.
  19. ebag

ebag New Member

I am not trying to start an argument, just expressing my general opinion on soaps, I have tried most of them :)
    If TSD is the top performer for you, would you name a few soap brands that's also a top performer for you?

Llyr likes this.
  20. jeraldgordon

Haven't tried TSD Lanolin yet! That is why I am soliciting comparisons... The Gold Standard soaps for me are Mikes Natural and Queen Charlotte soaps. I find The Body Shop Maca Root cream to be very, very good. I think The Real Shaving Company cream and KMF creams are very good, and exceptional values. That's just how I roll - YMMV. I find that some big name soaps/creams don't measure up to their reputation. I think if you want to find out how good a soap really is, find someone who has sensitive skin and a titanium beard and see what they think. :shaver