TSD Lanolin Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by thinklikeh20, Jul 29, 2012.

1. ebag

ebag New Member

I might just know the right person for that;) Will update once I've tried both original and lanolin version.

Llyr likes this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Very good! Will look forward to your review.

Llyr likes this.
  3. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

Just a bit of advice for everyone, it seems this new soap doesn't get along with TSD M-bomb. I tried adding it to both my new scents and the lather disappeared! Good thing one of my scents is subzero ;)

Llyr likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Menth heads, you just can't make them happy.;) Time to start using an M-Bomb pre-shave.

Llyr, thinklikeh20 and jeraldgordon like this.
  5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    At what point did you add the M-Bomb?
    I had no clue about this. Guess I'll have to go experiment.
    :happy102:

Llyr and alpla444 like this.
  6. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

LOL. Now I know why I'm ever so picky about my soaps and creams. :o

Llyr and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ok, I have done a little testing.
    Adding M-Bomb to lather made the lather disappear like I was Houdini! :eek:
    Adding the M-Bomb on top of the soap and then loading the brush and lathering caused no issues.

Not sure what your routine is exactly, Daniel, but hopefully you can find a way to use M-Bomb with the Lanolin soaps.

8. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

I tried adding some to a finished lather, and also tried a few drops in a bowl before starting to lather. Ill definitely try it out while loading. Thanks for helping me out!

Llyr and Queen of Blades like this.
  9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Just a side note: I tried out my lanolin soap this morning and wow! I love how slick it was and how refreshed my face felt. That soap was definitely a great way to start my day. And I had Irish Spring scent which was amazing since I love the body wash and bar soap form... Reminds me of being in basic training.

Llyr and Queen of Blades like this.
  10. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Having tried a few TSD soaps (I'm no expert by any means), I personally find the lanolin to be the best of the bunch...well except for last years limited Pumpkin Delight, that was AWSOME!!!! When comparing TSD Lanolin to other soaps performance-wise, it can be a bit tough...because all have their on good aspects about them. But here are a few soaps I have tried in order of my favorite:

Martin de Candre - The name sounds fancy and the soap works fancy too (amazing stuff when it comes to glide, protection, etc! And the scent is AMAZING!)
    Proraso - Its a Croap (sorry to be stealing the term) so it has thick rich lather and protects.
    MWF - A personal favorite that I use in winter - dense thick lather that will always leave my face feeling fresh and healthy
    Tabac - Works much like MWF, but is a step down (IMO)
    TSD Reg. - It's a good all around soap. It leaves my face a bit dry sometimes, but most soaps without lanolin will do that for me.
    Mama Bears - VERY easy to lather, and is similar to TSD regular

Now I would personally place TSD Lanolin in the same place as MWF. I love lanolin, it does wonders for my skin, and the TSD Lanolin soap is very easy to use. The lather comes quick and thick! The added bonus is that there is the wide variety of scents that it can ome in. I went with the TSD Signature Scent, as it was an essential oil mix, not perfume, so I thought it would prevent irritation and it did. (most scented stuff burns like mad)

Anyway, I hope this helps someone out and doesn't get deleted because of constant rambling...lol! I must say that the top three listed are always in constant battle over who gets used...Except in winter when I use MWF (It gets too cold and dry here not to...-45 every morning last year!)

11. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Can't wait to try the TSD Lanolin. Ordered it in sandalwood. My order just went from processing to completed. Also have sampled of Osage Rub and Sub Zero coming. I have finally got the hang of making good lather with Tabac and CO Bigelow, so from what I have read the Lanolin should be a breeze.

Llyr likes this.
  12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I let my dad try my TSD Lanolin and he was impressed too.

Llyr likes this.
  13. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

My next shave, in the morning, will be with the Lanolin Sandalwood, and A/S with either Osage Rub or Sub Zero that arrived in my mailbox today. From the first smell, I think the Sub Zero is going to be the one I try first. I am also going to try one of the Voshkod in my Super Speed. Results will be in SOTD.

Llyr likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Since I love my MWF, I had to give the TSD lanolin a try... I ordered it in the scents "Desperado" and "Creme Brulee," JoAnna was kind enough to order some of the latter fragrance at my request. I think one of my shaves will soon be a custard and caramel delight. If the lanolin is as good as I think it will be, I'll soon be joining the SOTQ crowd as well.:D

Llyr and burpsan like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Just received a mysterious package from TSD last night...my goodies arrived! Mixed in with everything else was a puck of Lanolin Desperado and a container of Lanolin Creme Brulee! I used a mild razor and was able to squeeze in both an afternoon shave and an evening shave. :)

TSD lanolin vs. MWF. Everybody wants to know how they compare. So here goes, the TSD lanolin does not produce lather as thickly as MWF, oh, you can still make mounds of lather, but when applied it tends to go on in a rather thin layer. The flip side of that is that it does not dry out like MWF. If I take my time shaving with MWF, the lather starts to dry on my face, the TSD lanolin does not. The shave feels identical, with the edge going to the TSD lanolin. It feels just a hair slicker.

Desperado is the limited run soap, currently in the TSD Store. The scent is described as Leather, Woods and Spices. To my nose, it does not smell like I would have expected. Sniffing it in the puck, it has a sharp, almost medicinal scent. Once lathered, the medicinal scent is still there, but overlaid with black licorice, and the faintest hint of fruit, perhaps black cherry. It is easy to conjure an image of a wild west barbershop while using this product. It has an old-timey smell to it, like a combination barbershop and a five and dime store, the old kind with the popcorn machine and the tubs of candies behind a glass fronted oak counter top. It's a pity it's a limited run, I wouldn't mind having it in a skin milk.

Creme Brulee is a one off scent that I requested from JoAnna, also in lanolin. It smells delicious. If you've never had creme brulee, it's a dessert made from custard, with a crisp caramelized sugar topping. It ranks in my top ten favorite foods of all time. Sniffing it in the puck, it has a very tasty odor. It's a very unsubtle fragrance, and it smells exactly as it should, like a mix of caramelized sugar and vanilla. This is an ideal shave soap or cream fragrance, it smells good and the odor does not last long. It also makes a good base for most traditional non-mentholated aftershaves like old spice or bay rum. I don't think it would make a very good AS or cologne for men though. Ladies might like it as a body splash. If you are a fan of commercial "brown sugar and vanilla" scents that seem to pop up in body washes, this scent is cut from the same cloth. In conclusion, I think this would make an excellent addition to the stable of fragrances available in the TSD store. I also think that with the addition of a fruit scent, this would be an outstanding mix-and-match scent. Raspberry Creme Brulee, anyone?

16. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

I have my order in for the lanolin soap (and a few other goodies). I'm looking forward to giving them all a try.

Llyr likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I figured I would give this an update, now that I've had some more time with the soaps. Reading the Williams week thread inspired me to heroic efforts and I spent a long time loading the brush and building the lather and was able to get a truly thick lather from the TSD Lanolin. Unfortunately, the advantages get flip flopped. I had tons of cushion and zero slickness. Now that I know I can get from one extreme to the other, I should be able to find a happy balance between cushion and slickness. For those reading this, when in doubt, go for the thin slick layer rather than a thick pillowy mess. A thin layer provides plenty of cushion and tons of slickness. The more I use it, the more I appreciate this soap. It won't replace MWF, (I really love the scent of MWF), but it's a nice companion soap and there's a vast variety of flavors scents to choose from.;)

18. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I go by the philosophy that any lather not really resting on the skin is just waste. IMO. Looks great when its all Santa Claus like, but I don't think it adds to the shaving experience. I whip my lather until its nice and creamy, but not peaked. So I have a creamy, but thin layer when I lather. Nice and slick and plenty of cushion. I'm no pro, but this is what works for me. My Omega soap is by far my favorite of the 3-4 I own.

19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    True. Lather is just there to keep a layer of water on the face, no more, no less.

Llyr likes this.
  20. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

I currently have some of the lanolin soap in order. I am looking forward to giving it a go. I appreciate the tips for what to look for when making the lather.

Llyr, newb and PLANofMAN like this.