TSD Riders

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Star, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Star

Star Active Member

Do any of you guys (girls too) ride a motorcycle? I've been playing with the idea for a few years now and I've finally made up my mind to get one as a daily commuter / toy. I'm always disgusted at the price of gas and how much of it my car uses, and just how boring the commute can be. Sometimes I want to stick my head out the window just to feel the wind for a change.

If you ride on a consistent basis, speak up! Maybe we can discuss shaving as it relates to cheek pads or something.....

Yea.....

:transport016:

PanChango likes this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you get one, I would have it as something fun. Having to commute on one can flat out suck.

Right after university, my car died on me and I wasn't in a position to run out and get one. I commuted 30 miles each way on I-95 from Philadelphia to Wilmington, DE on my primer black 1971 BMW R60/5 pos. I did it for two months during the summer and pretty much expected to die every day.

I still ride, but only have a small 2 stroke for bombing back roads and having fun. The RD 350 is more than enough fun for me. Plus with the expansion chambers on, it sounds like a weed eater on Benzedrine.

RaZorBurn123 and BamaT like this.
  3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

• Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
    • Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.
    What kind of car do you drive? Theres non-hybrids which get 30/40mpg.

BamaT likes this.
  4. Star

Star Active Member

My commute would not be nearly as bad. I'm looking at about 15 minutes tops with pretty light traffic. I live in the backwoods of nowhere. Since I have a car I wouldn't have to ever drive during rush hour or in the rain, etc.. I don't think I could ever get by knowing that I had to ride one every single time. I would only ride it when I wanted to.

5. Star

Star Active Member

I understand how dangerous they are. Thank you for looking out. That being said I've already made up my mind...it's not really for the gas. My wife and I just bought a new car that gets 32mpg consistently. This is really just a toy that I can explain away by saying I can drive it to work :p

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That sounds alright to me. If you don't have your license, see if there is a motorcycle safety course where you get your license at the end of it. It is normally worth 10% on insurance and gets you some time on one if you havent ridden previously.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ride baby ride! :transport016:

8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

As a rider of 50+ yrs, I second what PanChango says. Take a rider safety course and then ease into riding. Don't hit the freeways/busy byways till you are comfortable with your machine. Be ever vigilant and don't take anything for granted. Auto drivers will not see you and road hazards are magnified because of your exposure and only being on 2 wheels.

Other than that, it's a piece of cake and oh so much fun

PanChango likes this.
  9. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I commute by motorcycle whenever possible. I second what PanChango and Poppi had to say. Take the motorcycle safety course and ease into it slowly. Just remember that you are invisible when you are on the motorcycle.

10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have am '06 goldwing w/ 52K miles on it. About 6 months ago I sold my car and use the bike as my only transport.

A few years ago I did a ride from Key West, FL - Madawaska, ME - San Ysidro, CA - Blaine, WA (26 days, 16k miles including back home)

I take a slightly different attitude. I assume that every car on the road can see and that they are all out to kill me. :duel:

:signs011:
    Also, remember that in about 6 months from the time you start riding, about the time where you get really confident, that is the time you will be tested.

BTW - Riding is how I discovered the AS I use daily - it is great for wind burn.

11. Star

Star Active Member

Thank you guys for the advice and words of encouragement. I really appreciate that. Hopefully I can pick up a bit of wisdom from you guys. I have a couple hundred miles under my belt on a motorcycle so I understand the most basic of concepts, but I still consider myself new. I haven't had the time on one yet to get comfortable. I have my endorsement to ride, but I've never taken an actual course because they were not required where I live (which is retarded, I agree). Hopefully I will be able to take one soon...even if I have to do a little traveling to get it done. I'm probably going to go with a smaller sport bike. I've ridden a couple cruisers and I love their smoothness, but my daily doesn't involve much time on the highways and I love how easy the sport bike handles.