TSD SOTQ Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by sean102385, Jan 20, 2010.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I lucked out. No irritation. I didn't think I would like it, other than appreciating the scent, but I really do like it. Makes for a nice change up from my usual masculine scents.

It did make me want to make and drink one though. :D

Queen of Blades likes this.
  2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :( I'm so sorry, guys!

If anyone else has had problems with this SOTQ scent, please let me know. You can post here or send me a PM if you prefer.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just so you know, JoAnna, I've had zero issues.
    One of the lucky ones, I guess, as I haven't any irritation issues from any soap or cream I've used.

4. ehcalum

ehcalum Active Member

Its a great scent! Make's me think of a cute carhop skating up to my car, it just doesnt like my face :(

5. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Unfortunately, I too had a reaction. This is by no means a dig on the cream or JoAnnas products. Every other COTQ I've had has been excellent and I have another order of TSD products already in the queue. Everyone's face is different, and there's just something in this one that makes my fave hit and red. Same thing happened with Razorock La Famiglia Zi Peppino. You just never know!

However, the scent is great--a very fun light scent for spring and summer.

6. swarden43

Just a couple more weeks - D3 :mail:

7. swarden43

D3 just a few days away!! :bounce015:

Me? A little excited? Nah.

Of course I am!!!! :D

8. co2van

co2van New Member

Gonna use the the new soap today, looking forward to it. It smells fantastic!
    As a side note, and not to complain 'cause I'll never experience new stuff if I don't at least try it, but you did ask to let you know.
    I also had a reaction to the last one(D2). Tried it twice, once using my usual aftershave and once without because I thought at first maybe my skin was reacting to the aftershave the first time. Reaction was red skin that went completely away after a day and a bit of burning. Both times I used 4 passes and a cold rinse in the shower. I found it unusual because I don't generally have a reaction to anything, for example, I still use an alcohol based aftershave that I just can't give up because I love the smell.

9. co2van

co2van New Member

So!! I really like the new one(D3)! I really dig that smell combination! I'm so used to manly scents, this is a bit playful but yet still has the hint of masculinity in it. I did a real slow 5 pass with a spankin new Feather DE blade in a jaegger short chrome with the soap applied with a 30 mm knot in a custom long whipped dog handle. I apply my lather initially with a circular motion throughout with the exception of under the corners of my mustach before I paint it smooth. It should be noted that I whip my shaving soap in the same thick ceramic preheated bowl that I pop out the SOTQ into.(Do some of you load the brush in the soaps original packaging before transferring to your bowl or skuttle?) I load the brush and then slightly raise the brush and start my revolutions above the soap and touching only the sides to start the lather and then I briskly slap the top of the foam that gets built up until it can hold another level of foam onto itself. Kinda minimilistic but it's the way I learned and it works for me. I had the time to do a 15 minute half shower first with a vigorous facewash with dial gold on a kitchen towel followed by a preshave peppermint oil while I whipped up a really super creamy lather in my ceramic bowl. I had just enough for 6 passes or so but I used the last of it to coat my skin after the shave so I could enjoy the smell for a bit longer and let it sit until the end of my 2nd half shower before I cold water rinsed and took care of some nicks from the new blade with a styptic pencil. I've been using vinegar as a conditioner recently and I purposely threw a little extra on so I could coat my face where the soap had been just in case to neutrelize any excess lye but I didn't feel any burning or tightening , also, no redness. I really think that last batch was just a quirk, sometimes it works out great and sometimes you get to learn a new lesson. Crap happens sometimes to good people and I can't hold it against anybody. Every soap I buy is worth a shot and for the most part I have been VERY happy with the "new to me" soaps samples(again, as a side note. I bought something like 20 or so samples, mostly the manliest scents on the list that I thought I'd enjoy although next time I think I'll go with more menthol because I enjoy the burn.. I throw the samples in my green rubber mug , on top of my Col. Conk Worlds Famous Shaving Soap, Bay Rum
    Anyways, I also use a Marvy green rubber shaving mug, because I absolutely freaking love it and the SOTQ that have been made available through this forum I put into my thick ceramic bowl.
    I went directly to work after drying off and applying my beloved Old Spice aftershave, so many good memories come to me with that fragrance. I know some guys think it's a bit cheesy but I just can't give it up.
    I work for the state as a prison guard and the gal I relieve from 1st shift is a bit of a girly girl, as soon as I was close to her she couldn't keep her hands off of my face feeling against the grain and commenting how she wanted her current love-squeeze to hook up with me for some manscaping tips. I've known this gal for over a decade and it felt really good that she noticed the work I'd put into having a smooth face in the summer(I wear a big old beard in our colder months,Wisconsin, dontchya know.) Also this gal co-owns a beauty shop with a couple other ladies from work so she actually has a valid opinion as far as manscaping.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Is this a closed community? If not, what are the requirements to join. Sounds like fun.

11. swarden43

Just go to The Shave Den Shop *click here* and place your order.
    Note that you can get original soap or lanolin.
    There is also a Cream of the Quarter offering.
    The scents are exclusive to members only, but do get released to the public about a year and a half later.

12. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Are the scents the same for the original and lanolin each quarter, or are there differences between them?

13. swarden43

Same scent for original, lanolin and cream; a different scent every quarter.

14. swarden43

Less than three weeks until D4* arrives!
    Never too late to sign up for the Soap of the Quarter, or the Cream of the Quarter.
    And for you lanolin lovers (yeah, you lovers of The Fat), TSD SOTQ can be ordered with LANOLIN :happy108:

*We've borrowed from the Gillette book of Date Coding - D4 is 2013, 4th quarter :) . Yup, it's been four years of quarterly fun and surprises.

15. tylerSC

tylerSC Member

I just signed up for this last night. Looking forward to it!

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Quarterlies are all shipping today! :mail:

Alebrewer likes this.
  17. swarden43

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I got my tracking number :bounce015:

19. tylerSC

tylerSC Member

Mine came today - awesome!

20. swarden43

Just renewed my SOTQ membership.
    E1 ships soon! :bounce015:

Never too late to join or renew!!