TSD Store Products

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by EndlessFields, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

For traditional, masculine scents, here are my two favorites:
    1) Bourbon Vanilla
    2) TSD Signature (Bay Rum and Bergamot)

DLreno and CyanideMetal like this.
  2. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I have tried a dozen or so samples, and have truly liked them all and appreciate the variety available. My top favorites, ones so good I could live if they were my only scent in my den, are:
    1)Bourbon Vanilla
    2) Bay Rum
    3) Florida Water

I also am hooked on the M-Bomb.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Scent is neither masculine nor feminine. Our society has placed labels on them.
    That being said, I like cedarwood, English fern, sandalwood and leather - all can be had from TSD. There are some scents that are a bit "flowery", but not bad. I do like rose and have TSD Wild Rose soap and Thayer's Rose Petal WH with Aloe Vera.

Too much menthol? Not if spread out over the various products.
    Yes, you can have too much in a single product. Some folks have purchased menthol crystals and have mentholated their own products. They've reported that there is such a thing as too much menthol. Now, how much is too much depends on the person.

I'm a big fan of M Bomb:
    4 drops in my palm, along with a squirt of shampoo prior to the shave (a good hot shower is the best shave prep I've found)
    3 drops in my lather bowl for my shave soap or cream during the shave
    2 drops in my palm, along with a squirt of witch hazel or aftershave balm after the shave

I use this amount because I, too, have discovered there can be too much menthol in any one product.

battle.munky likes this.
  4. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

The TSD Wheat cream is amazing! Only things keeping me from ordering more of the wheat cream are 1)I'm liking soaps more & 2)I have to use a lot of product in my very hard water so I went through a tub of the wheat cream very quickly. My next TSD order will definitely be the soaps.

Also, the M-Bomb is one of the best and most used TSD products I've ordered so far. So many different uses, it's only limited by your imagination and skin tolerances.

5. EndlessFields

EndlessFields Member

OK, agree on that. I guess I need to say that my tastes don't like the flowery scents.

There will definitely be some M-Bomb in my order.

6. EndlessFields

EndlessFields Member

Ok, so I'm looking at the TSD store items. When I go to add Witch Hazel to my cart I select the SubZero scent, then it asks if I want No Menthol, With Menthol (+$.50), or With 2x Menthol (Not applicable with SubZero scented product) (+$1.00). With the SubZero scent do I need to select the With Menthol option? Or is that extra menthol on top of what's in it already?

7. SharpSpine

SubZero already as 1x menthol added so you can then turn it into Iced Subzero for $0.50 more which makes it menthol x2. The regular SubZero is menthol x1.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  8. EndlessFields

EndlessFields Member

Ohhhh.... Iced SubZero :Animatedfrozensmily: WOOHOO!!! Thank's for the tip.

Dridecker likes this.
  9. ateace

ateace Member

My faves are:

Summer - M-bomb, which can be added to just about anything - customized menthol product!

Winter - Unscented balm. Add your own fragrance for a customized winter balm with your favorite scent!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  10. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Hi, this is an older thread, but I'd very much like to know if all categories of TSD product smell the same for a given scent? I find most brand name AS splash have a stronger scent whereas their ASB counterpart is not only lighter, but different and usually less enjoyable. Does TSD balm or pre-shave match closely the shave cream or soap for any given scent?

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Milk, not balm. :)
    (don't want ya getting folks over-excited about some "new" product)

The pre-shave, non-menthol version, has it's own scent, Sandalwood and Oakmoss, that is not available in other products.
    The Iced SubZero pre-shave is scented with one of my signature scents, SubZero.
    That is available in nearly all TSD products.

All my products are scented with the same fragrance across the product lines.
    ie- Bay Rum shave soap, Bay Rum wheat shave cream, Bay Rum aftershave splash, etc. All scented with Bay Rum essential oil.
    If there is a difference in scent between such products, it comes from the product ingredients rather than the fragrance.

Hope that helps. :)
    Also, maybe some other folks will chime in with their experiences.
    I tend to get enveloped in the fragrances as I work with them, and don't smell the products' base ingredients scent.

12. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Yes Milk sorry! That helps quite a bit.

What would you recommend for a splash that is similar to Proraso AS? I like eucalyptus in general and going to see what TSD scent smells like, but I'm kind of always reverting to that scent. Don't know what it is in there!

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I have Eucalyptus. Can't picture the scent of Proraso off the top of my head at the moment. I'd have to go sniff it to refresh my memory. Don't think it is straight Eucalyptus scented.....
    That is presuming you are asking about a TSD splash scent similar to Proraso. If you mean any brand splash, someone else will have to suggest something as I don't use a lot of splash myself.

14. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

See what you made me do... Just placed an order.

15. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Something I've learned: for a long time I had the hardest time getting TSD soap to lather. I live in north Texas, hard water. Finally discovered that if I soak the puck in water for a minute or so, then dump the water, it explodes in thick, rich lather. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has a problem.

16. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

Too late! I had already opened TSD store in another window to check out how I'd missed your balms on my last order! I do believe you are not committed to developing a new product! :happy097:

Somewhat of a side question: How do people use M-Bomb? I've added a few drops to my hand either before or after the AS Splash/Milk and that doesn't seem to make a difference, but what about when adding it to your lather. Do you build your lather in the bowl, and then add the M-Bomb and swirl it throughout the lather with a couple of spins, or do you add the M-Bomb to the bottom of your bowl before whipping up the lather?

17. SharpSpine

M-Bomb use for me:

Soap: 3-7 drops on top of the puck before loading the brush
    Bowl lathering: 3-7 drops in bottom of bowl with cream
    AS: 3-5 drops in palm, add slash in palm, mix, apply
    Shampoo: 5-7 drops in palm, add shampoo, mix & apply

HTHs

18. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Yes I meant TSD scent similar to Proraso. I like the sweet and almost medicinal scent to it!

19. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Well this morning was take 2 for Cold Water Shaving. Verdict: Loved it! I got no new irritation and the area on my neck is clearing up from 2 days ago. Again, I only did 2 passes WTG, ATG to get a closer result, DFS again, but I had to do touch ups on the jawline at the end. I think with CWS my skin can handle the normal 3 pass shave and I might just get the results I am looking for. We'll see tomorrow!

20. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

:D