Turkish Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by BigD, May 25, 2019.

1. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Got my Derby sticks in the mail today. The box wasn't crushed like the Arko sticks either.

Did a scent comparison of the 2 and I prefer the Derby scent better. Not that I dislike the scent of Arko.

Look forward to trying this soap out. After doing some research I found out that both soaps have very similar ingredients. So I don't expect any allergic reactions to happen.

Yehuda D and brit like this.
  2. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Arko
    Blueness
    GZD (smells exactly like Arko)

brit and Ksblazer like this.
  3. Ksblazer

I'm not sure where to find GZD? Thought I may have read that it's no longer being made.

Saw Blueness for sale on the Bay. Not sure where else I can buy it at.

Hope to give them a try soon.

Haven't tried the Derby stick yet, as I'm doing Arko for the entire month of August. Soon as that ends, it will probably be the 1st soap I try.

I'll be. Sure to report back my experience of it.

Yehuda D, BigD and brit like this.
  4. Ksblazer

Last 2 days I've been shaving with Derby stick.

1st day I rubbed the stick on my face and brush and face lathered.

Today I rubbed the stick in my scuttle and on the brush and lathered it in the scuttle.

No problems getting a good quick lather either way. This is one quality that I like about using these Turkish sticks. Or maybe I'm just lazy. But I'm not wild about adding small amounts of water 3+ times and spending a couple minutes to dial in my lather to the right consistency.

So far I've gotten as close a shave with these Turkish sticks as anything else I have used.

Placed an order on the Bay for a Turkish copper shave bowl. It's coming from Turkey. So it's going to be at least a couple weeks before it arrives. Read some good reviews about them. And figured they would only make my Turkish shaves that much more enjoyable. They are cheap too. $6.57 for the bowl and shipping.

Anyone else here have one?

Yehuda D, BigD and brit like this.
  5. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I see folks buying a dozen shave sticks at a time. How long does one last? Seems like a puck of soap lasts forever.

So do a dozen shave sticks last until the 12th of never?

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I use a stick every night to wash my face before bed. I know it sounds weird, but I can't think of a better way to gently wash my face that cheap. Anyway, it lasts me for about a month.

Yehuda D, brit and NTR like this.
  7. Ksblazer

I'm guessing you get around 150 shaves out of an Arko stick.

NTR and BigD like this.
  8. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I go rather thick with mine. I can see 150 shaves for a more normal set up.

9. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I’ll pick a couple up next time I’m at Pasteur.

Between all my samples, recent trades and purchases, and occasional gifts, I’m already ridiculously overstocked. This afternoon, I’m experiencing disappointment that I don’t need another shave...yet.

My month of B&M soap use has been going swimmingly.

BigD and Ksblazer like this.