Two R.I.P.'s

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Shep, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Just catching up on the news and saw that both Leslie Nielsen and Irvin Kershner passed away over the weekend. Both lived to ripe old ages and no one can ask for more.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Leslie Nielsen on a couple of occassions when I worked at the PHX airport as he had a second home in the area. A very engaging and pleasant fellow. He began his career taking mostly serious roles, but his brand of off beat and slap stick humor was where his true talents lay. The Airplane and Naked Gun series are comedy classics that remain as fresh today as the day they were released. Some notable lines:

*"Nice Beaver"
    *" I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"
    *"Some guys make shoe laces, others lay sod, some make a very good living neutering animals. Me, I'm a cop."

[​IMG]

Irvin Kershner directed arguably the best of all the Star Wars films (Empire Strikes Back). I believe the success of that one movie led to the monopoly that is George Lucas today: Lucas Films, Industrial Light & Magic, 6 Star Wars films, countless books, comics and TV series. Almost none of it would have occurred had audiences not flocked to Empire making it millions and millions of dollars and solidifying the series. The other five installments while exciting are fairly wooden and a bit cheesy in comparison. All attributed to Kershners vision and direction. Lucas owes him a very large debt in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Anyway both men contributed to a bit of joy and entertainment in our lives. They will be missed. Rest easy gents.

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

They will be missed indeed. Rest in peace!

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm single!
    I love being single!
    I haven't had this much sex since I was a Boy Scout leader!

--Music Stops. People stare.--

I mean at the time I was dating a lot.

RIP Leslie Nielson

5. kurtb2080

kurtb2080 New Member

HAHAHHAHA! Well said. He will be missed.

"Go ahead, threaten me like you have the American people for so long! You're part of a dying breed, Hapsburg, like people who can name all fifty states! The truth hurts, doesn't it, Hapsburg? Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!"