Uber lather?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, May 2, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've read a lot of comments about 'uber lathering' and never quite bothered to understand or look into it.
    Today I came across a video about it, see below, is that how you guys all go about it?
    Man, that does seem like a rather lengthy, cumbersome process... The result better be amazing to justify that :)

Any other viable (read: easier/shorter ways to 'uber lather'?)

(On a complete side-note...I really like his [self watering violet] pot!)

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Quick-n-Easy: Bottom of scuttle or favorite shave bowl goes a teaspoon or so of glycerin, a dime-sized dab of your favorite cream, and now fully load your best brush with your hard soap of choice.
    Lather up, adding water if necessary. In no time (less than 2 minutes), you'll have a bowl full of the highest, creamiest lather. Not much work. Try a variety of soaps & creams until you find the ideal combo.
    I was doing it every morning for a few weeks so it should not be any more time consuming than regular lathering. MWF, Mem cream & glycerin was what I used mostly, subtle fragrances that don't clash with one another.
    Scent is important. You probably don't want to mix Tabac with proraso cream, or other potentially fatal combos….:p

Oobered Brush…
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

This is what I do, and you don't need a video to follow it:

I start lathering soap in a bowl. When it starts to build I squirt in some cream. Bam!

I don't glycerin, but if I ever buy some I may try it. The results are't all that amazing, but it's fun to do with cheap stuff. I mix Derby cream with Arko stick sometimes and it feels better than either of them on their own.

Side note: Judging by his camera and den set up, I get the feeling that he' s a guy who details and explains things very deeply. I wouldn't say over explains, never.

4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Read the @HolyRollah post above. It is easy to do and just as quick as making a regular lather. O.K. maybe it does take 15 seconds more to add in some cream and glycerin, but that is all. I do this every day when I am not testing a new soap or cream.

I believe that the reason @Mr. Shaverman doesn't get amazing results is because he is not adding glycerin.

Don't be afraid to experiment, especially with the scent. There is no rule that you must use only 2 soap/cream. I routinely add a small amount of another scent to enhance it.
    For example, I did this the other day

2 parts cella
    2 parts Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood
    1 part gaia (for a hint of mint)
    small squirt glycerin

5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Face latherers can do this as well.

BigMark likes this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I would believe that too. I also kind of suspect that the glycerin is what makes the uber lathers amazing, not the mixing of the soap/cream. I'll experiment if I ever buy glycerin.

7. markjnewcomb

I use a squeeze bottle for my glycerin. I also wait to add it until after I have gotten at least a weak, or preferably almost done foam. I can see that the consistency of the lather visually changes. Also, you can instantly see that the lather needs more water.

8. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

TSD is the first shave forum where I have read of using/adding glycerin. I am getting fantastic, slick, cushiony lather with BBS shaves from my existing soaps and creams so I am not sure of the added value of adding glycerin in to the mix. TOBS, Proraso, Strop Shoppe, 3P, Mikes, Prairie Creations, Mystic Water, Tabac, and MWF are giving me great results as formulated. I do not understand how lather can get any better.:signs002:

9. markjnewcomb

I am not trying to be rude here, but I couldn't figure out another way to phrase this:
    I didn't understand how ice cream could get any better until I tried adding chocolate syrup on top.

You are using what I consider great soaps/creams. I use a lot of these, also. But, for me, there is just an added level of slickness and moisture when you add glycerin.

10. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

11. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I stopped into a spice shop on Hawthorn Ave in Portland today. I bought a 6 oz bottle of Glycerine for $5.50. Went home mixed up a lather of MWF, Bigalow Cream, and glycerine with my Simpson Keyhole brush in my Dirty Bird scuttle. I had one of the nicest shaves possible from my Cobra razor to date. Thanks for the Glycerine tip. I probably have enough glycerine for $5.50 to last almost a year.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  12. markjnewcomb

So glad you like it. It really works wonders for me.

I love to test out new combinations. I usually use 3 different soaps/creams every time I shave.

13. markjnewcomb

I think the addition of glycerin does add a lot. I also feel that mixing a tallow soap with a glycerin cream even without additional glycerin does make a heck of a lather.

14. Tim O'Hara

Tim O'Hara New Member

My experience with glycerin is that the Humectant effect makes my skin drier especially in winter or whenever the heat is on.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"Just a dab will do ya!'....." (or something like that, those who remember the Brylcreem slogan) is all it takes for the glycerin. Many soaps already contain glycerin already, and the addition to the über-mix simply enhances the lather's slickness and supposedly provides an additional moisturizing capability.

16. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

I've tried this technique before, and I think it originated from people trying to use normal hand soap as shaving soap. glycerin is a natural byproduct of the soap making process. Most mass produced hand soap has the glycerin removed to be used in lotions. Shaving soaps usually do not have glycerin removed, and often extra glycerin is added. Some soaps will benefit from extra glycerin, and some will already have plenty.

17. markjnewcomb

I agree. If, for example, I am combining VDH with AOS sandalwood, there seems little point in adding glycerin. Both of these are very high in glycerin, so there seems to be no added benefit.