Ultrasonic brush-cleaning

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Latherette, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

Just cleaned one of my brushes in an ultrasonic cleaner. It seemed to work quite well, releasing a lot of soap residue.

Now, I do not want to ruin any of my brushes - Does anybody have experience with this approach?

2. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I use an ultrasonic cleaner as well for all manner of shave goodies. Over the extreme long term, I can't say with certainty no. But over the last year or so, with periodic cleanings, none of mine are suffering any ill effects. As long as your brush is in good repair and is of recent manufacture (adhesive made this century, no stress cracking or delamination. etc.) I see no reason why we should ever have any problems.

3. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

The cost for a device like this is ?
    For my DE's will be good.

4. boxerman

boxerman Active Member

I don't think I would put wood handle brush in one. The run from $25 on up.

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The cleaner would probably take varnish off of a wooden handle.

The cleaner I have, I bought on eBay for about $75. It's a 2 liter and really works well. I'll post a photo when I get home.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Why do you need to go to that extent for a brush? Razor handles are stronger material and are good for this method, but brushes, the hairs and fibers might be damaged in the process.

Gently clean the bristles / hairs / fibers with a good shampoo or better yet MAC Brush Cleaner.

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I only use a diluted borax solution or shampoo when I run out. I don't trust micro-vibrations and a glued in knot over time.

GDCarrington and HoosierTrooper like this.
  8. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

Just had the feeling that the brush could get much cleaner than I was able to achive by "hand-power" - especially near the handle.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well a brush is totally different in construct than razors and the glues and hairs (fibers) just won't take that type of cleaning for long.

10. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

A toothbrush (you will have her dedicated for this task) will do the job in that spot.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

This is how I deep clean my brushes. The agitation combined with the borax pulls all manner of grossness from deep in the knot and doesn't have adverse affects for any of mine as long as you don't do anything crazy like leave it hours or longer in the solution.

12. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

Yes, this is what I would go for - if borax was available at the chemists here in DK. I think it has been banned.

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I just cannot imagine not having 20 Mule Team at the grocers. It's one of Nature's best multi-taskers.

14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I have a smaller "Sonic Wave Ultrasonic" that I purchased from walmart.com for under $25. It only hold about a pint of water.

Doryferon likes this.