Unboxing - Frank Shaving Fine Badger

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SharpSpine, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

C'mon Justin, there's always, always room for one more tiny brush. :)

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Very nice lathering skills!

:signs107

3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that my only other brush experience is from a VDH boar. The boar bristle was very scritchy & down right hurt when I tried to face lather on my neck. I was limited to just paintbrush motions with the boar, no swirling. With the FS Finest this morning, I was for the first time able to swirl the lather into my face. It was so luxuriously soft & comfortable. I could have done it for hours.

Not only was it very soft, it is a shorter loft brush so it has enough backbone to still massage my face & not feel floppy. In the past I've had to work very hard to get a good lather from my hard water & boar brush. This badger brush went to town and produced the best lather I've had to date in record time. It was an amazing experience that I can't wait to have on each subsequent shave now.

I'm starting to see what a well respected member of this forum says constantly... "The shaves only keep getting better!" I'm getting better primarily from all the help I've received here at 'Da Den. The improved hardware & software just is icing on the cake, or rather lather on the brush??? ;)

4. SharpSpine

I appreciate the encouragement. Still being new to making my own lather it is hard to tell wether to add more water or not. The badger being able to hold more water definitely made it easier on me today.

5. SharpSpine

I also figured some here would be curious as to the actual dimensions, especially since I mentioned that it's a short lofted brush to prevent floppiness.

Brand:Frank Shaving
    Dimensions:

Base: 36mm
    Smallest point of handle:32mm
    Width of knot at base: 24mm
    Width of knot at top: 56mm
    Length of knot: 52mm
    Weight:66g

6. effx

effx New Member

FS Brush!

First off, I love this FS Finest brush! Coming from CVS's boar brush in the green box, what an incredible upgrade!!!

Reading about the FS products online, I can see that there are two camps. Love ems or hate ems. I say, love em. Give it a chance for the money. Hell, 23.00 the the finest badger brush tha t is super tight and well made. Huge lather , fluffy and rich. NO hair loss in two month since owning this beauty.

I only wonder if the Silvertip FS will be as big of a difference from my CVS pure boar brush or, feel the same as my as my FS finest?

These brushes really are good. I'd also be hard pressed to feel the difference between a 200.00 Silvertip and a FS Silvertip for 30.00- someone please do a fair comparison,

Ron

7. effx

effx New Member

Pink heart?

In all seriousness, what is the little pink "heart" that came with out Frank Shave razors??

The brush is amazing, but I have new clue as to this fatchycootchy? Can anyone weigh in on it's potential usage. Or better yet, how it's improved your shave?

Enjoy your summer Sunday!

8. Nicktheswede

Nicktheswede Member

It's a pillow for your brush to sleep on.. DUH!! :taunt002

But in all seriousness, the Chinese love to send small little things like that with products. I have no idea why but a lot of times when I order from China I get small products just like you did.

9. effx

effx New Member

makes sense...

thanks for the insight...seems to make sense....

10. SharpSpine

Face lathered with the FS Finest this morning and it was luxury on a stick! My lathering bowl may start to collect some dust now after how enjoyable a face lather was with this brush. Wonderfully soft tips that did not scratch, but yet had plenty of backbone to offer some gentle exfoliation while getting the cream into the hairs. I had an excellent shave this morning and part of it I feel is due to working my stubble with the brush more to get them standing at attention and ready to be cut by some cold steel!

So far I've only used my CO Bigelow cream. Tomorrow morning I'm going to use my VDH soap and see how well it does loading on a puck. This brush has taken my lathering skills not only to the next level, but completely out of the stratosphere.

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

So what supplier did you use to get your brush? Was their an online store, or was it an eBay thing?

12. SharpSpine

I got mine from Ian Tang via his eBay store (here's the link: http://stores.ebay.com/Ian-Tangs-Shaving-Workshop). I went with Ian because of the articles that Bruce on shaving wrote on his blog. Ian was great! Answered all of my questions quickly & got the brush to me as quick as he could, exactly 2 weeks for me.

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Thanks... I now have his eBay store bookmarked for a possible future order.

14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I did the same thing.

15. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

Brian,

did you get notice of shipping from Ian? It's been a week since I ordered mine and I still haven't received shipping notification. I emailed him this morning asking about it.

16. SharpSpine

Hi Eric, yes I did receive a shipping notice from Ian. However, all of my dealings with him were through eBay. My shipping notice (along with USPS tracking #) and all emails were through eBay. Considering the time difference all of my questions were replied to promptly. I purchased the brush on a Friday and I had my shipping notice the following Monday or Tuesday. Have you been dealing with him through eBay or another route? I haven't rated him yet so I'd love to hear that this gets handled properly before I leave my feedback for him.

17. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

Everything has been through ebay. I'll give him some time to respond, I've heard nothing but good things regarding him and his products.

18. kooshman7

kooshman7 New Member

I thought about purchasing one of these for some time, and then changed my mind, and then I see your post SharpSpine and I decided again I want one. I actually bought it this time though. :happy102

Very nice pictures and thanks for taking the time to give your impressions of the brush! :cool:

19. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

Just got Ian's reply. I guess it shipped yesterday but ebay hasnt updated the info. Cant wait!:drool

20. SharpSpine

Kooshman, you won't be disappointed. I've used this brush every way I can think of; bowl lathering, face lathering, cold water, hot water; and it performs marvelously! I've seen some post that it's never even sheds hair. I can't say that. I'm seeing 1-2 hairs shed each lather right now. I messaged Ian about it & he said this is normal, especially during the break in period which could last a month. Also, be prepared to get the funky badger butt smell out of it. Mine wasn't horrible, but it was definitely noticeable. Now it just smells like my Bigelow cream!

Wonderful! What style & finish of handle did you get? Did you also get the finest? I look forward to seeing your pics. You better not get a pink heart from him too though. That was special for me!!! :happy102