Unboxing - Frank Shaving Fine Badger

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SharpSpine, Jul 8, 2011.

1. kooshman7

kooshman7 New Member

The allure of another brush into the stable is hard to resist. The black Richmond was especially alluring as I've been wanting to try a brush with that handle shape for some time, so it won out. It's especially interesting to see how this compares to brushes that I have and have had as the price can be quite attractive for many who see it. I'd like to have my own opinion to form on it as it seems like the Frank Shaving brushes are like Lilac Vegetal. You either love it or hate it. :D

2. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

I got the 24mm Richmond ebony in finest. (I think that's the same one you got, no?) If I don't get the heart I'm gonna be hurt!

3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Yes, 24mm Richmond ebony is what I picked as well. And.....

No Heart For You!
    :rofl :happy001 :rofl :happy001 :rofl :happy001

4. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

I always knew you were his favorite!:angry017

5. SharpSpine

After all this banter watch your bonus be a silvertip brush! :shocked003

6. newb

newb Resident Newb

I have the same 24mm Richmond in finest, and a 28mm Richmond in silver tip. The 28mm ST has fair backbone and is not floppy. To my unskilled face the ST is just a little softer than the finest. Both seem to be excellent brushes for the price. They IMHO are quite a step up from the earlier FS brushes (with smaller knots) that I had. Also the knots of these two are as dense and soft as my 28mm TGN overstuffed ST. They have kind of killed my desire to try a "higher end" brush, as I can't imagine that much of an improvement especially when considering the cost factor.

7. SharpSpine

I hear ya newb! For the cost and how much I like this brush I don't see myself dropping the $ for the Thater's, T&H, Kent, Simpson's and the like. I will definitely be looking at getting a silvertip from Ian at some point and I'm also somewhat interested in trying out a fan shaped knot. Seems like that may be better for face lathering.

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

For what's it worth, I had an earlier version of FS in fantip (smaller knot). I wasn't impressed but YMMV. I also had an earlier ST, that wasn't too dense and was very floppy. My initial experience with FS wasn't that impressive.:ashamed001

9. SharpSpine

So I face lathered te last 2 days using the VDH puck from the premium shave kit. The loading of the brush was very easy. Believe it or not I felt like it was easier to load this FS Finest than it was to load the VDH boar. I got my best lather ever from this soap & the only difference is the brush. My last thing to try for comparisons sake is to use my Col. Conk Lime soap that I never got a good lather out of before. I really liked the lime scent so I was very disappointed that I couldn't create a good lather from it. I'll let you all know how it performs on the last soap I have to give the final comparison. I already have a pretty good feeling that this brush will perform flawlessly as it has since I received it.

10. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

How is the shedding doing? Is it still losing hairs?

11. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I said that 2 years ago, now look at me I have another Simpson on the way :o :rofl

12. SharpSpine

Not on my last lather

I did not notice a single hair lost on my last lather. :D

13. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

Nice! :happy108 I'm still waiting for mine. Ian sent me a tracking number on the 12th, it's now the 18th and USPS still says "No record of this item." I sure hope this is a USPS glitch, it wouldnt be the first time I received an item before USPS even says it's shipped. :mad:

14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

USPS's tracking leaves a lot to be desired. I routinely receive stuff before their site has any info about it. Oh well. It kind of makes it nice when you aren't really expecting it because of the lack of information and then it shows up! At least that is looking a the bright side of it.

15. GreenCreed

GreenCreed Member

congrats on the new addition.

16. SharpSpine

I bowl lathered today & didn't see a single hair lost today either. I think I may be through the shedding phase. This brush is quite dense & produces a ton of lather quite easily (even with the hard water that I have).

Good luck with the shipping/delivery Eric. It may be frustrating now, but I'm sure that all will disappear once you start making lathers with it.

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I thought I was fine with brushes until I tried the Chubby 2 in Best. That thing ruined a lot of other brushes for me. It really is spectacular. I am going to thin out the den and keep a big boar, the Chubby and a few little guys.

18. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

Good to hear the shedding process was short in your case, even the higher end brushes shed for a bit.

And thanks, I'm sure it will work out. I'm more anxious than frustrated, after all the good reports I want it NOW!:D

Attached Files:

19. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Want it now!

I have used my Frank's Finest in the butterscotch handle now for 2 days plus a day of "play'n" with it. I have yet to shed a hair and just to add, I think your gonna love this brush! And not to rub it in, but I ordered mine from a US distributor on Saturday and it delivered on Wednesday. USPS will post they have it about a day and a half after it delivers is the experience I've had with them. Good luck with it and let us know how you like it!

20. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

I was reading your other thread with a bit of jealousy. I'd never heard of Star Shaving. Oh well, It'll get here.