Unicorn Horn Brush!!!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rollsshaver, Dec 20, 2008.

1. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Haha.........Just kidding.

The closest thing I could think of was a chunk of Narwhal tusk. So, I just dropped $400 on a 4" long, 2" diameter piece of narwhal tusk. I am going to have my son make a brush out of it. Anyone have experience making stuff out of bone or ivory? What, if anything, do we need to know about treating it, or coating it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Rolls

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Oh wow. I can't imagine how stressed out I would be working with something like that. I have had handles that were almost done and I chipped the wood. I can't imagine accidentally breaking a $400 chunk of tusk. I can't wait to see pictures! Do you have the tusk now? Can we see?

3. rollsshaver

Nope, I just ordered it. I actually ended up getting the whole damn tusk!! It is 5' long and cost $1500.

4. Rorschuck

Rorschuck New Member

Speaking of senile, didn't you start there a thread on some other shaving forum about this, too? Why can't I find it?

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

wait, 5 FEET? I read that as 5 inches last time.

6. rollsshaver

Yup, 5 feet of prime narwhal tusk. Stupid is as stupid does!!:happy102

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

How long are you going to make the handle? I'd Imagine anything beyond about 18 inches would just be too much :D

8. riffin

riffin Active Member

Wow! That's someting! Can't wait to see a picture or two. Aren't narwhals supposedly the source of the unicorn legend? Is it more rare than ivory?

9. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Is this anything like April 1st?:confused:

You purchased a Narwhal tusk...to make a shaving brush out of a 4" piece of it? I assume you plan to make several and sell them, right?

I guess it is not as strange as the walking stick made out of a bulls penis. Good luck.

10. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

you don't know rolls yet, this really isn't weird for him. Honestly I'm surprised he didn't hire a team to go find a real unicorn for him in search of the most stupidly expensive shaving brush on the planet.

11. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

:happy096

12. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Sweet!

I want some straight razor handles, pm me with price and portfolio if your son is interested please :)

13. JimR

JimR Active Member

I might also be interested in this...

14. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

good thoughts there. I'll take a brush handle too Rolls.

15. rollsshaver

I am only making two brushes out of the bottom of the tusk. The rest is going to making a stuffed unicorn.

Am I serious? Damn skippy I am!! Is it a totally stupid way to spend $1500? Probably, but I am old. Plus, in the end it is going to actually cost closer to $12,000. Even though the taxidermist is a close friend, it is not going to be an easy task. You know, to make a unicorn.................

16. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

rolls... you are seriously going to kill a horse to make a stuffed unicorn? I actually don't think you're allowed to do that. Even if you are I'd lose every bit of respect for you. So unless you can come up with a legal way to obtain a corpse I think you'll run into some trouble.

17. rollsshaver

Yup, That would be illegal. That is what is going to cost so much. My buddy is getting casts made right now of a particular horse. It is totally legal, and the horse is not harmed. The skin however, will be real, but purchased from a licensed tanner. No horse killing going on, Jen. The skin, I presume, is from an animal that had to be put down due to illness or injury.

18. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

gross, but ... eh.. meh ... I guess I can't yell at you. You're a nut though :happy102

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I can't wait for pictures.

20. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

I hate to break this too you, but according to Artherian ledgend, Unicorns had a pearly-purple-lavender sheen to their hooves and horn. I guees it does not really matter, since King Arthur was made up too.

You might as well add wings to it. Pegasus would be cool too.

I may as well say this, be careful, or you'll poke your eye out.