Unique Old Spice, and Avon Bottles/Decanters, And Finds

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DaltonGang, Sep 29, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You've got the main stable of classics down, so some suggestions...

Island Lime and the 1960s Bay Rum (barrel or gray/green jug). Both are must haves.

Tai Winds (a spicy/musky oriental, along the lines of Jade East and Hai Karate). Should be pretty easy to find.

Excalibur/Clint (very similar, Clint came later)...woody, sharp, dry, slightly leathery. Probably my 2nd favorite in terms of how often I reach for one.

Tribute, if you like a men's floral barbershop throwback.

Blue Blazer, if you can find it.

Granite, ditto. Cold and mineral smelling. Very different but worth picking up if seen.

Imperator is even harder to find, not sure it was ever released in the U.S. but I have a bottle. Basenotes has a review of it, as well as another writeup which says it's Excalibur rebranded. I strongly disagree, it is absolutely not the same (going by my bottle anyway). Also this:

That's pretty darn close but it ain't nothing like Excalibur.

I believe there was Light Musk in the '80s which was very, very well done, but it doesn't show up too often. Don't confuse with their Soft Musk for ladies.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    TestDepth and RyX like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Glad to see you are getting leather; one of my favorites. I like Oland as well, but only purchase it if you can sniff it in person; if stored bad can go wrong. Definitely try Island Lime also one of my favorites.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Been a couple years since I tried Imperator so I slapped some on my arm. The usual Avon undertone of musk but not as heavy as in, say, Deep Woods, topped by an unusual (for them) sweetish, peppery sharp spice/citrus mix. Dries down to almost an oriental (frankincense and patchouli?)

Not sure who they had in mind when they mixed this one up, and haven't ever been able to ID a mainline drugstore fragrance it would be meant to duplicate. It's a very odd one, but not bad.

RyX likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Ditto that on Oland. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it's putrid.

Their Island Lime would have been PERFECT if they'd cut back a bit on that musk base.

5. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

20180618_130749.jpg first picture, i will take a better one tonight, my roomate will want to go do something if he knows im up(i work nights). The gun is brisk spice, the capitol is leather, the stage coach is wild country, and i bought a current version of wild country cologne. All but the stage coach came in original boxes.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great find. I really enjoy the Brisk Spice.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Look forward to your comparison of old and new WC.

RyX likes this.
  8. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I like them both, the new version is definately sweeter. Im not sure i get the clubman comparison that others claim to smell, other then a powdery type smell, but they would definately work well together.

RyX likes this.
  9. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

And leather is amazing, never thought i would like it, just sucks falling in love with a product not made anymore.

RyX, Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I never saw it either.

11. DaltonGang

I AGREE. A little musky.

12. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Used brisk spice in the philadelphia derringer for this evenings shave, i really enjoy this scent but i find its very close to spicy. These avon scents are quickly becoming my favorite.

RyX, Enrico and DaltonGang like this.
  13. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

20180622_150212.jpg on fridays i pick up my mom to take her grocery shopping and sometimes antique and thrift store shopping. Picked these up at a thrift store, all are full two tai winds, one wild country one deep woods and one windjammer. The also had a empty of island lime.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have (my daughter has it now) the Abe Lincoln that I primed and painted with copper/bronze enamel, then washed it with a thinned down dark brownish black, rubbed off before it totally dried. Looks like a little bronze bust.

Brickman301, RyX and rbilly like this.
  15. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Thats a good idea, im not much of a collector of things, but i have found myself collecting avon decanters, i have yet to find an old spice in the wild, but im enjoying hunting these down, and they are always dirt cheap, even full all of these were two bucks. The ones on ebay have all been under 10 shipped. I tried collecting razors but apperently there is a guy in my area that hits every anyique store daily and has the proprieters call him as soon as they come in lol so i gave up on that.

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

When I first found out about old fashioned wet shaving, back around 2004 or so, I began hitting antique, resales and fleas. A few of the owners told me there'd been a guy coming around for some time who wore a t-shirt that read, I BUY GILLETTE SAFETY RAZORS.

RyX and cliffb599 like this.
  17. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The most rare item I found was the tester bottle shown in this picture. I have 6 of these extremely rare tester cologne sprayers that were ONLY given to retail stores for customers to try out old spice at counters in the 1980's. Some guy on ebay found several small boxes of these at a garage sale. I initially just bought one because I was unsure of the quality of the juice. I was concerned that it might have been poorly stored. My fears were completely unfounded as the juice is more potent and better than my other Shulton-era colognes. Upon trying out the first bottle I hurried back to ebay and bought a 5-pack he was selling. I don't know how many he had, but my best guess was a few boxes of them (24 or so?). I saw all of his listings and it didn't looks like he sold more than 24 bottles. I saw a listing of 'single' bottles that had "5 remaining" and a listing for a group of five bottles with "3 remaining". So, he couldn't have had many. I'm so glad I got 6 bottles. With my huge fragrance collection, those bottles will last the rest of my life. Especially considering that the juice in these bottles is so strong that a single spray, 'maybe' two on a cold day is all that is needed for plenty of projection for hours. I tipped off only a few people who I felt were huge Old Spice aficionados and whether they jumped on this rare stash, I don't know.

Also, I had a shaving stand made by a Desire Metal Works, which really completes my Shulton set. Also, I commissioned a shave brush to be made (an 'unknown' artist created it and Nathan of EnvyShave put a synthetic knot in the handle) that is one-of-a-kind that really matches my vintage set. And Nathan made me a custom-lid for my Shulton Mug. I'm super-proud of this set.

Also, I found a current P&G red cap that fits the tester, then I painted a red P&G sprayer top gray then sprayed it with clear-coat. It's the little finishing touches like that that really makes this nice to look at.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    gorgo2, TestDepth, cliffb599 and 5 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Two Shulton Old Spice products arrived today.

Shulton Old Spice Aftershave. First set to come out, 1973-1975. "Admiral Decanter". This one was Officially called "Opal", product #3226. 6 oz.
    Full to the top.

P6270321.JPG

Shulton Old Spice. "Soap On A Rope". 5 oz. 1974-1980.
    Still smells great.

P6270322.JPG

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    MacDaDad, gorgo2, RyX and 4 others like this.
  19. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Now that is Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX, Tim Spencer and TestDepth like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I believe I used that Soap On A Rope, at about the time it came out.