Unscrupulous Ebay Sellers/Buyers

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've never been burned by a seller's deception, but I have benefitted from seller ignorance. I suspect with the crazy demand for wide blade SR that some sellers buy them and think they can turn a profit by sprucing them up. Personally, if its not original, I'm not interested no matter how "pretty".

2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about something like this, which is going for $150?

[​IMG]

or this?

[​IMG]

or this?

[​IMG]

Edison Carter, Paul76, RyX and 8 others like this.
  3. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

EBay is filled with loads of crappy dealers that fudge things. I’ve tried their reporting and it’s way more trouble than it’s worth.

They would rather you fight a purchase, which makes no sense than try to police their listings. Crazy but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve56, jimjo1031, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree. It seems easier to just purchase the crappy razor, get a refund, then leave a negative feedback.
    Most shady sellers will post blurred images, of the defective razor, or cut out portions of the blade, with the defects. One of the sneakier ways the hide excessive hone wear is to photograph the blade at a low angle.

5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

None of those is what I had in mind.

brit likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I had better cancel my bids...

Keithmax, brit, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  7. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Crappy pics are completely avoided for the most part by me. I have bought a few that the pics were not great, but they have to be extremely cheap, but blurry pics is a deal breaker.

Keithmax, brit, Frijolero and 7 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Same here. When ever I sell something, I make sure it's focused very well.

Keithmax, brit, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

brit, Billyfergie, Paul76 and 3 others like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I take lots of focused pictures and give a thorough detailed description and sometimes I still have some moron write me saying "I didn't know ______".

Sorry not guaranteed against "Buyer's remorse", "Lazy reader", or "Failing to look over all pictures".

I haven't wrote that, but I've thought about it.

All that's been said; I've gotten some might fine buys due to lousy pics sellers posted, due to seeing just enough to see it was something special.

RyX, Keithmax, brit and 8 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Same here. And, sometime, you just have to roll the dice. I sometimes take a chance at blurry photo's, if the seller has blurry photos of other things he is selling.. Obviously, some sellers cameras are bad at closeups. That benefits me, most of the time.

RyX, brit, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  12. thesuperiorshave

thesuperiorshave Well-Known Member

this thread is interesting because from the original images I'd highly doubt the creators of the blade would put the writing so close to toe...thus I messaged this fine vendor.

Me; "Has this razor been reduced in length from original production?"

Seller; "Not to my knowledge. Look at the measurements I listed. They are longer than most other razors and exact not slightly less. That's the best I can offer you in explanation."

Me again; "It doesn't seem likely that the original producers would put an inlay upon the show side so close to the toe regardless of the uniformity of the current dimensions, so I would presume at some point this razor was reground to be shorter than the original cutting edge? That is always a risk to the heat treatment of the razor which during production occurs after any such rough draft grinding, so it may not hold an edge as it did prior if the steel's temperature exceeded the heat tempering point while being shortened."

Seller's second reply; "Wow."

Buyer Beware!

RyX, Keithmax, brit and 8 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

I've messaged him, a couple of times, and he sticks to his guns, about it being original in overall length, avoiding the length of the blade itself. Also, saying it is Like new, and saying it hasn't been altered. He probably has too much invested in this razor already.
    Buyer Beware is right. Some of his razors looked in salvageable shape, but I don't like his lack selling morals. I will avoid this seller. For those who buy from him, because he has a 100% rating, those don't mean much. I've seen sellers with multiple negative feedback still retain a 100% rating. I don't know how, but they do.

Keithmax, brit, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  14. jimjo1031

I also messaged him essentially saying that the logo wasn't centered, he still said it was in original condition.

brit, Frijolero, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  15. thesuperiorshave

thesuperiorshave Well-Known Member

Our eBay sales account has had a negative feedback for shaving soap "not as advertised" without so much as a prior peep from the buyer, and there are countless great ***** reviews of terrible Pakistani-made razors by the hundreds all over eBay and Amazon, so in the end I think the feedback and review systems are not what they once were.

Upon our sales on Amazon.com the rate of feedback is less than 1% of volume and of course any party that feels wronged is overwhelmingly more likely to voice their position, each seller gets zero credit for the volume of silence which must be presumed is happy.

I'll definitely do anything legal for money because morals do not pay my dependents' needs and there is no safety net to help me - heck, pay me enough and I'll make a video for children endorsing the stupid vaporizer alternative cigarettes all the cook kids are using these days. However, the price required would greatly exceed 87% of $190.

There is not a single transaction value of a stock keeping unit that is worth the reputation of any business that values their reputation above all other criteria.

I'm sure he'll now preclude such, but if this man had the right razor at the right price, I would expect to receive that which is pictured and no further guarantees of any kind - and there could be times that arrangement's ok. I buy a lot of black blobs of old horse strops for next to nothing, hoping one or two can be revived and cleaned because old horse shells are the best. A lot of them are money down the drain, but that's the risk you knew going in.

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Someone on E-bay put up for sale one can of Colgate Shave Cream-for $48. I hope that person got laughed at.

brit and Paul76 like this.
  17. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

One of the ways that some try to unload a known shortened blade is to take the pics with the blade opened up, to prevent you from seeing how short it is to the scales. There’s an old Bismarck like that now. And the toe shape seems completely wrong.
    56351512-7166-4337-A7E7-0D2826691399.jpeg

brit, Frijolero, mvd and 2 others like this.
  18. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

They can contact ebay and have it removed, once they block you from bidding on their items. I had a seller do that to me when I refused to delete the negative feedback since the razor in the pic was in far better condition than what it was when it arrived at my house. It look like it was outside for decades. He was also refusing a return

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Keithmax, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  19. jimjo1031

Yep, I also said I've never seen etching touching the toe.

brit and Paul76 like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I'll tell you how. A few years ago Ebay revamped their feedback system. It used to be that a seller could leave negative feedback for a buyer. No more. They instituted a system, where every year, regardless of your seller feedback rating, it reverts to 100%. You still retain the record of the number of negative feedbacks you have received over the years, but just that score resets. It is inherently unfair to those of us who work very hard to maintain a TRUE 100% positive feedback rating.

RyX, Keithmax, brit and 3 others like this.