** Update **Rooney S1/S1 Shedder

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hillbilly79, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Back in May I purchased Rooney S1/S1 Silvertip brush on clearance from a great vendor that I will not name. Started off just loosing 4 or 5 hairs per shave. Then, it got worse. The brush started to loose 10 to 20 hairs with each use. I shampooed and combed the brush. I got about 25 hairs out. Used it a time or two more, it only lost about 5 or 6 hairs per use. I thought it was finally getting better. Then the last two shaves, it lost 25 to 30 hairs on each shave. The vender has since sold his business, but talked to me about it over the phone. I could tell he truly regretted what I was going through.

Has anyone ever tried applying epoxy with a needle down into the base of a knot to stabilize the hairs, and stop the shedding? This is something that just came to mind. I love the brush, the backbone, the softness of the tips. It is one heck of a face lathering brush. Or, am I just going to have to pull the defective knot out, and reknot the brush. I would appreciate some advice on this unfortunate situation. :(

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Well, Rooney doesn't warranty their brushes, which is why a lot of manufacturers don't carry R.A. Rooney.

I suggest you go to www.thegoldennib.com and pick out a replacement knot.

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Hillbilly79

I am starting to feel the same way. I did check out their site earlier today. I wonder which knot would come close to what I should've had with this brush, the regular Silvertip or the grade A premium.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I got nothing for you other than TGN too...that and empathy, sucks you are having that problem on what sounds like an otherwise good brush for you.

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    From the reviews I've read, avoid the regular Silvertip.

6. Hillbilly79

I hate to here that about TGN silvertip. I will have to check out their other grades. I had a pure badger brush awhile back, but it was too scratchy with no backbone.

45auto likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The finest has good reviews, as do the higher grades of silvertip, it's just the "regular" Silvertip that people complain about.

If I remember the complaints correctly, the regular Silvertip is floppy and scritchy compared to the higher grades.

8. Hillbilly79

From my research last night, the finest 2 band grade has outstanding reviewes. I did notice that a lot of them were 2 years old. I hope TGN are still getting the same knot. As far as the grades higher than regular silvertip, people were complaining about the hooked tips being too soft, but with good backbone. That one threw me for a loop there. That sounds like a great combo to me. To each his own I guess. I am going to measure the hole in my handle today to see what it actually specs out to. The knot is supposed to be 22/45. We will see, then check out what TGN has in inventory and go from there. Thanks for all of the input. If anyone else has an opinion on the subject, fill free to throw it out there.

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Has no-one recommended whipped dog?
    if you email larry I'm sure he can help. he answers emails same day. he can help decide which knot is right for you and give advice on installation.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I ordered a Rooney on the last sale they had a few weeks ago, it has never lost one hair and is one of my favorite brush's now

11. Hillbilly79

I love mine too, that's why I am so disappointed that it is a shedder. There is always a few that slip through, and just happen to get one.

12. Hillbilly79

I have thought about WD, but the knot I have is more of a fan shape. I checked Larry's site this morning and he didn't list a fan.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That's too bad hillbilly ( I am a hillbilly also)

14. Hillbilly79

I didn't know how much I liked hills, shade trees, and green grass until I spent nearly 3 weeks working in west TX last month.

15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I've got a grade A silvertip from TGN and I love it! :happy088::love055:

16. Hillbilly79

Does it have good density and flow. It would be great to have a dense knot, soft tips, and not hog lather. I know this sounds like a perfect brush wishlist. I will get the calipers out when I get off work. TGN has a 22mm grade A ST fan for only 30 bucks.

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

In my experience it is nice and dense and the tips are soft. Of course YMMV (your milage may vary), but it took no time at all to place itself in the row of favourite brushes. I must be careful, though, to keep it fairly dry when loading it on the soap. Otherwise the lather tends to be too wet. But other than that: reat face latherer, great bowl latherer. Love it.

Here it is freshly set in an Oscar11 handle:
    oscar11brush.jpg

And in full bloom:
    SoS 2015-01-09.jpg

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. Hillbilly79

That is truly a beautiful brush. I guess I'll have to steam the knot of mine and verify the hole size tonight. I want to make sure I get the right knot.

One thing I have noticed about my current knot is that it has not bloomed as much as most of the brushes I have seen one here. I've used it over a dozen times, and shampooed it twice.

Is this because of its density, the low loft (45mm), or because it is more of a fan shape?

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  19. Hillbilly79

Here is pic of the little guy.
    2015-07-31 17.50.07.jpg

AND this is what I get when I shave with him
    2015-07-31 17.51.52.jpg

macaronus and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Fan shape primarily then low loft.