Using water mister to improve your lather!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Ron R, Oct 25, 2021.

?

Who uses just dipping the tips in water or using a mister to make lather!

1. Just dip the brush tips in water.

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. just use a mister to make lather with a brush.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Do you use both methods brush dipping & water mister to make lather.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. brit

brit in a box

i've seen hundreds of clean shaves on 1930's up photos,adds and such..looked very clean shaven..without a bottle that sprays like a fuel injector..:D..sorry gents.not sold on this one..:):eatdrink047:

Frijolero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

The nickels were glued with JB Weld marine grade. Shaving bowl 4 (2).jpg It is the best epoxy for this application I found, the coins will not come lose. I glued one to a jar and placed it outside for 2+years in the elements from -40 C to + 4o C and you can not pry it off and I have used my bowl daily for well over 2 years. If you do use JB weld I use Q-tips with alcohol to wipe any excess epoxy around the coins before they set permanently.
    I have been making lather in my bowl with pressed in soaps and creams for about 4 years and just dip the brush tips in the water and start to lather as needed. It mostly worked but with the Atomizer mister it just a more accurate water amount as needed and it seems to work well and also as I use this method I can tell what the soap is going to do almost. I got the idea off of Chris on IAMCDB on you tube and he gets some high end lather and he uses both dipping tips or misting the lather. I personally find misting a little better than dipping tips in the water and more rewarding. You can make your lather very hydrated and a interesting alternative method.
    I upgraded my mister recently and really like this one, bought it on Aliexpress for reasonable price and it will atomize on the squeeze and release of the lever and never had a nice one like this before.
    Atomizer sprayer!.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  3. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I'm going to give this a try once I perfect my DE blade stropping technique.
    :duel:

awk-m4, swarden43 and brit like this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I like to make my shaves as simple as possible. So, not for me really.

Shaver X and Tallships like this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I think the OP is really useful information, and well presented. Thanks for that, Ron R! There are many folks who like to apply all kinds of tweaks to get as close to absolutely perfect shaves as possible. Like tuning cars to the nth degree or tweaking a gaming computer to get the fastest overclocks possible. I think it is something in human nature that leads folks to do that.

I take the opposite approach. Like Eeyore, I like to keep my shaves as simple as possible. I get great lather and BBS shaves from a number of soaps without using a mister. Adding complexity to improve on excellent would, for me at least, detract from the overall shaving experience. Before starting a busy day, my morning shave is provides a moment of simplicity, peace and chill. I think that is also something that has to do with human nature.

Ron R, brit and Tallships like this.
  6. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I happen to use a 99 cent misting bottle for bowl lathering, but keep I keep things simple too. It makes it easier to add water to the lather without slopping in too much from the faucet. More importantly, the mister is great for efficiently wetting the face and head prior to lathering. Also useful to lightly re-hydrate if lather or skin is drying up during a pass.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Stop using the Williams and you won't have that problem! :happy102:

brit likes this.
  8. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Proraso is usually the culprit.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes, I was being facetious. :D

Just wondering, though, do you have hard water? Williams is the only soap I find that does a disappearing act in the middle of a pass. I've never had a problem with Proraso or any other cream or soap.

brit likes this.
  10. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

No offense taken at all :) I am a Williams fan, but I grate it together with a puck of Col. Conk.

I tend to prefer a wetter lather, so the lather itself does not really dry out. Some soaps have so little residual glide, the skin dries so very quickly that it would be dangerous to run a blade over the skin.

According to Google, my region (SE US) has "slightly hard water" :)

11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

This morning I just used the tips of my brush to add water to make this beautiful RR Irish Countryside lather. Why? the soap is so easy to lather and I was very careful with the amount of water added to the tips and my mister would of gotten the same results just as quickly IMO. Some soaps the mister is superior for hitting the balance of water to soap ratio visually from my experiences so far. What I have noticed the lather cream seems not to foam bubble as much, where as the brush will introduce air more easily. I still like to tinker with lather and misting simply works better. It is not traditional for sure but you do not have to tell folks your using a mister if it bothers a fellow.
    (This morning lather generating by just adding water to tips of brush)
    SOTD, Dec 12, 2021.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, Dec 13th 2021
    Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside, mild scent with excellent lather qualities. Nice soap.(Misted)
    Brush: Yaqi 2band badger with barber pole handle(nice hand ergonomics), excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrubber, + excellent lather painter.
    (Used the same soap with great results misting.)
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.