USPS - they did it again ...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Marverel, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Can anyone think of a good reason why a shipment to North Carolina would be sent from New York to New Hampshire first?

Screenshot.png

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    New York is customs clearance, New Hampshire is a sorting location for the East Coast.

Basically, it cleared customs, was put on a plane or truck to the "East Coast," and will be routed through normal delivery channels once it's been sorted in New Hampshire.

3. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Seriously? They send it 300 miles north first just to have it transported 800 miles back south afterwards? One would think they'd have some kind of sorting facility right there in NYC :cool:

RaZorBurn123 and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I once had a package that was sent to South Africa by mistake.

RaZorBurn123 and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I had one go from New Jersey to New York to Alaska with the final destination of West Palm Beach, FL. Made me want to stop tracking.

Don

RaZorBurn123 and barbersurgeon like this.
  6. samarijack

samarijack Active Member

Well my package has been lost in my city for 2 weeks. Just sitting there with no updates. Extremely frustrating. Technically this is a FedEx package - but it's handed off to USPS for local delivery....and that's when it got "stuck".

WCS has express shipped a replacement for me (A+ customer service). As no one can solve my mysteriously lost package.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The USPS has a regional sorting facility in Secaucus NJ and that's just 5 miles from midtown Manhattan. That's usually where most of my packages are routed.

New Hampshire? Go figure! I guess they've never heard of efficiency.

8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Package tracking is becoming the biggest First World Problem. How awesome is life when all we can find to stress about is how USPS gets a parcel from A to B.

Guys...USPS ain't the most efficient shipper on Terra, but they generally get your package to its destination.

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

HI-JACK!!

Frankfurt/Flughafen - now that brings back memories. Flew into the Flug Jan. 1983, spent three years at Rhein Main AB (we shared the runway with the Flug), and flew out Jan 1986. My wife and I loved Germany and would like to go back some day.

This completes today's thread hi-jack. We return you to your regularly scheduled posting.

Redrock, RaZorBurn123 and Marverel like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I thought that tracking looked familiar.

Marverel likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I live in South Western CT and all my mail goes through Springfield, MA even though there are stations in CT and NY that would be closer. It's the mystery of the USPS "hub" system.

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

makes me wonder if the box I got from Rise International(in Lodi, NJ), stopped in NYC for a coffee on the way. The shipment came exactly when it was projected to, but could they have projected an earlier date or time?? Anyway, I wasn't upset about it.

13. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I had one start in FL, stop in Jersey, then go to Denver, Washington state, TX, Alaska then South Carolina then Tennessee then be delivered to me in North Carolina. It was shipped 2 day and took 3 weeks. I never know what they are doing. the routes rarely make sense.

Jim99, barbersurgeon and Jayaruh like this.
  14. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

USPS is a dinosaur nearing extinction. The often used expression about an "old dog" and "new tricks" rings true here.

The post office is a very old institution very set in its ways -- if it survives at all, it will look much different in the future.

15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I know they sometimes seem backwards, but they successfully handle and deliver millions of letters and parcels daily. They also have to deliver (by law) to every address in the U.S., to include sometimes delivering the last leg (rural) for UPS and Fedex since those companies don't always have routes in non-profitable area's. For many rural area's the USPS is the only source for small parcels. I toured a proceesing plant years ago and despite all the postal jokes, it's really amazing that the majority of mailed letters are not touched by a human hand until the carrier gets their daily route - computer read, sorted and arranged for the carrier. I too sometimes get impatient but you have to look at the big picture. It's amazing they can keep track of it all.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Not a chance. Every single package coming into the U.S. passes through customs in New York or Los Angeles. It's too much stuff for them to sort. You are lucky if it gets punted off in the right general direction.

Most stuff that gets sent to me goes through Los Angeles, then up to Portland for sorting (or on rare occasions, all the way up to Washington) then back down to Salem.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Pretty good for government work when you think of it. :happy102:

18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Did some work at the hub in Dallas several years ago. I was in awe of the enormity of their operation. If they even lose a thousand pieces a day, that could only be a .000000001 of a percent of all they handle.

And yes, I pulled every one of those numbers out of my yinyang.

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Well, typically the yinyang is more accurate that the tuchkus or the wazoo. ;)

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Simple.

North Carolina is cursed.