Vacuum food-sealers

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Sara-s, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We are considering one of these, mostly for goodies we bring back from periodic trips to Lancaster, PA. We haven't started shopping seriously yet. Anyone use these? Recommendations to buy or to avoid? Tips for use? Thanks.

Erik Redd, Ron R and brit like this.
  2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

When I fished a lot, I used to vacuum pack a lot of fish and keep them frozen. Worked great. Super easy to use.

Ron R and brit like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have one. Gets considerable usage. The bags can get pricey, so I buy aftermarket ones and cut them to size.

Ron R likes this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What brands are your vacuum sealers?

Ron R likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Article Team
    Foodsaver. Smallish one, cost less than one Benjamin. I didn't want one that sat on that on the countertop.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Why didn’t you want one that sat on the counter?

7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Mine’s a food saver too.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've had a Foodsaver for many years, and use it often. It is great for storing things in the deep freeze. Sometimes it is tricky to seal. Possibly because this was one of the first or second gen units. Do your research, and read plenty of reviews, before you buy. Also, order your bags online, you will save plenty of money.

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Buy one of the best Foodsaver models that you can manually do and automatic if the budget allows . Sometimes its nice to have the model where you are in control not the machine for making seals. The Foodsaver I first bought has paid for it's self many times over and freezer spoilage and food waste has gone down drastically. Buy quart bags at Cabela's hunting supplies in the fall during hunting season that are usually on sale, I buy 400 (they pay for shipping then)at a time and use about 300 to 400 a year. If you want to vacuum seal liquids freeze them first and then seal. The nice thing about quart bags you can portion meats. Make sure you buy at least the wide mouth mason jar sealer also through Amazon is where I purchased mine.
    foodsaver (2).jpg
    The Foodsaver in the back ground was bought at a garage sale and was like new and has sealed lots of food but is totally automatic and it has that flaw IMO. Nothing beats a foodsaver unless you go commercial and that is costly. The model in the front is old now but It is more manual and has auto feature.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    brit and Sara-s like this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    Counter space is a premium in my kitchen.

brit and Sara-s like this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Where do you keep it when it is not in use?

Ron R likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Underneath, in a cabinet.

brit and Ron R like this.
  13. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I love my food saver. I have the same black one in Ron R.’s post. I don’t use mine as often as I should. Bags are expensive but they go on sale at Costco from time to time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ron R likes this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Ron R likes this.
  15. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

That’s a heck of a deal. I prefer that size bag over the narrow ones that come in the multi packs Costco sells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I had a foodsaver for a couple of years, but realized I didn't use it enough to justify the counter space or cabinet space. I have local access to good grocery stores, and prefer to buy fresh instead of freezing a lot. I can see where others may benefit from a vacuum sealer more than I did though. My advice would be to think about how often you will use it and what the benefit would be, and then make your decision. I generally buy things on impulse, so I'm much better at giving advice than following it. :)

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Erik Redd you make a good point. That is why I am asking you folks for advice before I even look in the stores. All your input is appreciated. I do notice that all of you like the Food Saver brand. What do you like about that particular brand?

Erik Redd likes this.
  18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I expect it was at a good price at Sam's Club or something. I didn't do any market research. Foodsaver appears to be the most common brand available locally.

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got a foodsaver yesterday.The one they sell at Costco went on sale for 99.99. Too good a price to pass up. We had a chance to use it already. Nice & easy to use. Thanks for all the input.

Ron R and Erik Redd like this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Update- we already find ourselves using it a lot. We notice that when we package meat, for the freezer (in 2-person portions) it doesn’t get freezer burn. Also, when we are defrosting it, there is no liquid leakage.

I also got their marinating container. I have done vacuum marinating before & know that it can work well. What it does is to expand the microscopic air spaces within the meat fibers, to allow the marinade to permeate better. The container is easy to use and cleans up well. Last night, I made the best buttermilk chicken we’ve ever had.

brit likes this.