Van Der Hagen Luxury

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by FortWayneShaver, Dec 12, 2011.

1. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

Hi all! Was pondering picking up some of the Van Der Hagen Luxury soap on Amazon, but can't seem to get any good descriptions of scents, quality, etc.. I've read it smells like cucumber, then like avocado, and some that say it is unscented (which I thought was why VDH made an unscented variety, but oh well...).

Just wanted to see what any of you who had experiences with this soap thought. Thanks!

P.S. This was the one I was considering.

[​IMG]

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

it smells like soap.

It works well, I just used some today, but the smell is nothing that special.

3. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I got the scented version as part of their shaving set: mug, brush, soap, stand. Lathers wonderfully, but the scent is a bit too "perfumey" for me. Not bad, just something I could do without. If I were to get any more, I'd make it the unscented version.

4. FortWayneShaver

What is the "perfumey" scent? Details?

5. Slivovitz

No idea at all. I know what it means to me without being able to describe it so that you would know. To me, many perfumes have a sort of generic quality which I don't associate with any ingredient in particular, and that is what this reminds me of. Someone with a more discriminating nose could describe it better.;)

The basic idea is that it's a noticeable and rather insistent aroma which doesn't actually bother me, but which I would be perfectly happy without.

6. FortWayneShaver

Gotcha. Thanks!

7. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I've never used VDH, I understand there's a glycerin version and another version. Which is preferred by you guys?

8. Slivovitz

There are a number of versions, and I believe they all use glycerin. This one actually has glycerin in the name, though. It's a very plain soap that gets the job done. This version is a little fancier, and also works well. Both of those can sometimes be found in drug stores. This thread was actually talking about the VdH Luxury Soap, which comes in scented and unscented versions. I've tried the scented and thought that it lathered very well, although I wouldn't commit to how much better it might be than the plain "Glycerin" type. As for how they smell, it's hard to predict how someone else will react.:)

9. cpool222

Oh, I see... I had seen the "glycerin" and the "Deluxe" version at Wal-Mart, wasn't aware that there was a significantly more expensive version elsewhere. Thanks!

10. FortWayneShaver

It's not significantly more expensive, though it does come at a premium. I think the lowest I have seen the Luxury was maybe around $4.5o on amazon.

11. cpool222

Oh, I see my mistake... I saw the price around $12.50, but didn't realize it was a pack of three pucks. Thanks