VDH Deluxe Shave Soap or Proraso Shave Cream?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by kevinajili, Apr 30, 2012.

1. kevinajili

kevinajili New Member

First of all, I am new to these forums, so hello everybody :) I wasn't sure weather to post this in the soap or the cream section so I just chose one at random, sorry if it's in the wrong place. So I am fairly new to DE shaving (1 month or so) and have two choices locally, either the Proraso (actually the C.O. Bigelow) Shaving Cream or the Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shaving Soap. I've read reviews on both and both seem good, but I have specific questions. First of all the quality of the actual shave, which would most likely be the better performer? Secondly does the soap stay hydrated throughout the shave or will I have to add a little bit of water into the bowl I lather in between passes? And lastly which product (150ml Proraso tube vs 2.5 oz VDH soap) lasts longer?

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

First off, welcome! With the caveat that YMMV and this is just my opinion, here goes:

1. The C.O. Bigelow (Proraso) will offer a better shave - better lubricity and cushion. Skin care will be about the same for both.
    2. If you make a good thick lather it will hang together for the duration of 3+ passes with either of these products.
    3. The VDH soap will last a couple months or more of daily shaving - the 150ml tube of C.O. Bigelow will only last a month or less.

Hope that helps!

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I've used VDH for years and Proraso , though not the Bigelow version, for years as well. Just personal feeling here , but the difference performance wise seems negligible. For an inexpensive product I find VDH pretty moisturizing and I've gotten good shaves using the Deluxe , Select and Glycerin, but as has been pointed out VDH doesn't last as long as other soaps and I 'd think a tube of cream would last longer. Depending on how you make lather will determine whether or not you need to add water, doesn't have anything to do the intrinsic qualities of VDH. Proraso I've used for 5 years, love the scent , its mentholated , excellent cream and wonderful value.

As you can source them locally and they are good value for money you should buy both. Putting a little Proraso on any soap puck or onto your brush and lathering the puck to make a superlather doesn't hurt either.

awake2shave likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.

Hanzo speaks truth - the difference performance wise seems negligible. I've used both products with excellent results. There will always be a puck of VDH and a tube of C.O. Bigelow in my den.

5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I love doing this with my Mama Bear's Awakenings.

6. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Seeing as VDH deluxe is less than $2 I say go with both. They are both good and variety is the spice of life.

7. kevinajili

kevinajili New Member

Alright thank you everybody, I didn't realize how cheap the VDH was! I will try out both, so far I love the Proraso but I have yet to go out and buy the VDH, but I will post my results once I do.

8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Welcome to the DEN

9. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

FWIW my skin feels better with the VDH. This could be because I'm not lathering the Bigelow correctly, I'm thinking I might use too much water, but the VDH is more consistent for me. Definitely try both though, they're so darn cheap.

10. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

YMMV.

To me VDH Deluxe and Proraso have very different strengths.

VDH Deluxe has a lot of bang for the buck, moisturizes and protects well. The scent reminds me of something familiar from years ago (barbershop? Grandpa? ??), though I can't place my finger on it. Nothing fancy, but not unpleasant either. There's always a puck lying around in my cabinet.

Proraso is also well worth the price, nice scent, and the tingly menthol/eucalyptus sensation is wonderful in the summer. It's more drying to my dry skin for me, so I don't find the protection to be the same as VDH Deluxe.

I've found that both lather well.

Unfortunately, I like Proraso (soap/cream), but it doesn't like me. For some reason, my skin is sensitive to the Italian soaps/creams I've tried - Proraso (incl C.O. Bigelow) and Cella. Finally had to take it all out of my lineup and give it away. There must be a shared ingredient(s) unique to these soaps that my skin doesn't tolerate.

Sigh! Wish I could use the Cella ... the smell and lather is wonderful! :( But that's another thread.

11. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

YMMV, but I consider Poraso/Bigelow a good cream, whereas I consider VDH a good soap(for the money). I completely agree you should try both. Heck, pick up a puck of Williams, too.

12. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Bigelow cream yet, but I started with VDH before I got some Col. Conk amber. I personally liked the VDH a little better than the Col. Conk.

13. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Huge fan of Bigelow. Just shaved with it this morning in fact...

14. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

I also use both together on occasion. I have some VDH in a mug and I'll load up the tips of my brush. Then squeeze some bigelow in my bowl and get a nice lather. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of the bigelow but that's just me. If you have a local rite aid you can get real shaving co cream for really cheap as well. It's a pretty good unscented cream for the price and lathers up well.