Vegetal Soap

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Michael, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I've always used Dial or Ivory or some other grocery store brand, but yesterday, I was in TJMaxx and saw a $5 bar of Italian Savon Vegetal labeled "Sandal Wood - Santal". Made by Alchimia Soap. Weighs 300g! I've owned CARS smaller than this thing!

Contents: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernalate, Aqua, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Tetrasodium Etidronate and Tetrasodium EDTA.

Used it this morning and was quite pleased. The scent is very nice and it lathers well. Maybe I should SHAVE with it! :) Anyway, just wondered if anyone had an opinion about the brand or the ingredients...before I go back today and buy the rest of their stock! Just tried their web site (http://www.alchimiasoap.it) and it said, "SITO IN COSTRUZIONE". Oh well.

Thanks.

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I've never heard of it, but if you like it THAT much to forgo a soap/cream made for shaving - go for it :cool:

At the very least, you might be able to superlather it with a cream, in fact - have a cream nearby in case your lather/shave falls apart. This happened to me today trying out a new soap, and it helped having a cream nearby to resurrect the lather.

3. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm New Member

Sodium Palmate (palm oil)
    Sodium Palm Kernalate (palm kernel oil) a lathering oil
    Aqua (water)
    Parfum (fragrance)
    Sodium Chloride (NaCl - preservative)
    Glycerin
    Tetrasodium Etidronate and Tetrasodium EDTA chelating agents to bind up the minerals in the water.

A lot of commercial bars use palm and palm kernel oil in their recipes. I prefer lard to palm (lard contains less palmitic fatty acids & more moisturizing fatty acids than palm) in my soap recipes.

Enjoy!

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Thanks, Cyndi. I knew that sooner or later, one of our resident soap experts would reply. Doesn't really matter anyway. I went back to buy a couple more bars and they had no more Santal and the other "flavors" didn't do it for me. When this one's gone, it's gone.

The only thing I know about palm kernel oil is that it's in some of those "non-dairy creamers". Supposed to be REALLY unhealthy...to drink anyway. Thanks again.

Hey, Joe. I really was kidding when I mentioned shaving with it - quite pleased with most of the creams and soaps I have. OTOH, might have to at least try it! ;)

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap

Anyone ever use this soap?

Ingredients:
    Vegetable soap base, vegetable glycerin, oat protein, kaolin (natural clay), tea tree oil, pine tar, garden balsam leaf (jewelweed).

We get a lot of Poison Oak out on the trails here. I wonder is this might help a little. It looks like a kind of pine tar soap that you see sometimes such a Grandpa's Pine tar soap. I really like a couple of Burt's products but I'm finding a lot of their stuff to be gimmicky.

6. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm New Member

Poison Oak & Ivy are best remedied by washing thoroughly with soap to remove the oils. You'll also want to wash contaminated clothing for the same reason. Any soap will do that.

I love the scent of Pine Tar! It's a mess to work with when using it in a soap recipe - the results look like a big brownie bar, but ooooh does it smell good!

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Yeah, that's what we do now as soon as we get back. We give the horses baths too since the oils can get on their coats and legs and transfer it to us from grooming them. I thought maybe pine tar had an "extra" quality to it. So, do I hear Pine Tar Soap is something you've dabbled in? :) I got a whiff from someone that had a bar of the Burt's they got as a gift and it smelled great.

8. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I haven't used the Burt's Bee soap for poison ivy, but I have used the Tech Nu products. They work, and work well. There is a pretreatment product to prevent the effects of poison ivy, a wash, and a cream for when you suffer from the results of poison ivy contact.

The Tech Nu treatment was originally developed in the early '60's by for the U.S. Army as a wash for radioactive fallout. They found that the stuff works great for poison ivy as well.

I have used the Burt's Bees vegetable based soap and liked it.