Vintage Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Norseman, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I find myself becoming more interested in vintage blades. The problem is that I do not know much about this subject. My knowledge is limited to the Personna 74 blade and to an even lesser extent the Gillette Super Stainless, which I believe is called the spoiler. But do correct me if I am wrong

So I was hoping this thread could be about vintage blades. What are the good ones, what are the bad ones etc.
    Any experience, rumour and whatnot will be of interest. And pictures are always welcome :)

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Vintage straight razors or vintage double edge blades?

3. Norseman

I meant DE blades, but I see I placed it in the wrong forum. I probably just read razor and that's it (sorry)

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Moved to Safety Razor forum. :)

I'm looking forward to what others have to say.

I've tried and have had success with the Gillette Thin Blade.
    I've also tried and didn't like The Wonder Blade and the Segal blade, a proprietary blade for the Segal razor.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I like the Gillette thins and Gillette Super Blue. Both are carbon blades. The problem with most vintage carbon blades is they have a bit of rust on them, rendering them useless.
    I was lucky enough to pick up 1,200 Gillette super blues in the factory storage container. That meant that they were on a rack, unpackaged and covered in oil in addition to the silicone coating. They are better than NOS in that regard. :D

6. Norseman

Apparently I have something more to learn. :o
    What is the difference between Vintage and NOS blades?

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

NOS - New Old Stock is an item that is just as it was when it left the factory to include packaging. It has never been used.

Vintage - just old. Not sure how old, but it may or may not be NOS.

8. Norseman

Thanks.

Let's include all of them in this thread then :)

9. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I have really enjoyed vintage blades lately. Anything vintage with Gillette pre-1970 have been great for me. I have also shaved with PAL Gold Thin Hollow ground blades. The sharpest blade I have shaved with to date, Feather doesn't even come close to as sharp.

10. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I chose the 60's vintage Wilkinson blades from the box tour last time around. I liked that they were from the 60's like me, and that they were first stainless blades on the market. I like them so much that I hunted down another 100 in various lots on on the bay. They are my favorite blade, I do rotate them with Polsilvers and Feathers as they were a bit pricy. They are as sharp as those blades and very smooth, for me, YMMV.

11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Well, not to sure how "vintage" you would consider them, but I really appreciate the Polsilver blades from Polish production, as opposed to current production from St. Petersburg. If they were still manufactured this would be my favorite blade, hands down!

12. Norseman

Do you mean these? http://www.shaving.ie/products/100-polsilver-blades.html

13. jeraldgordon

Yup, those are the ones! Just took delivery of 20, but going to have to pick up a couple hundred here! Thanks!

14. Norseman

Good choice. I like them myself :)

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have the Russian Polsiver Super Iridium blades. Are those Polish Polsivers worth it? I know YMMV, but I would hate to pick up 100 of them and find out I don't like them.

16. Norseman

I prefer the polish one, and feel that the Russian ones are a bit rough. Still good blades, though

17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I found one of these blades in my bowl of mixed blades. I will have to give it a go and see how it is. If it's good, I might have to snag a bunch of these.

18. jeraldgordon

I've just finished comparing the Iridium Super to the old Polish Polsilver - definitely prefer the Polsilver! It seems smoother and sharper. Next is to try the new production Polsilver Super Iridium. I am really hoping the new production is comparable, as they are, of course, readily available and reasonably priced... If not though I really need to pick up a 100+ of the old brown wrapper Polish Polsilvers while I still can - they even edge out my former favorite Feathers for top spot in my pantheon of sharp metal objects!

Norseman likes this.
  19. Norseman

Does anyone know anything about these?
    Are they perhaps spoiler blades?

Gillette Super Stainless (1).JPG Gillette Super Stainless (4).JPG

Gillette Super Stainless (2).JPG Gillette Super Stainless (3).JPG

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Vintage Wilkinson Sword Black Label are one of my favorites among the older good quality blades. Like Iridium's, they seem to last longer with good shaves.