Vintage Cologne's

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Robyflexx, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

What kind of a scent does it provide? I'm interested

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Farina's Eau de Cologne (or in the original German, Kölnisch Wasser). The Farina family was selling the stuff before George Washington was born.

Farina's Russich Leder (Russian Leather), first made sometime in the 1740's. I haven't found a Russian Leather fragrance I didn't like yet.

Pretty much the entire vintage Old Spice stable. Pour un Homme by Caron. Jicky by Guerlain. Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren.

Dzia Dzia and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Robyflexx

The Avant Garde was a huge surprise at it's price point I expected crap but what a keeper

4. Robyflexx

I looked up Farina Eau De Cologne on amazon and found one but not sure if it's authentic, how to know and what kind of fragrance does it give off?

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If it's the Roger & Gallet stuff, it's somewhat authentic. The authentic stuff is found here:
    https://farina1709.de/en/index

The fragrance is mostly lavender, citrus and bergamot. 4711 is a poor copy of it, if you've smelled that fragrance.

6. Robyflexx

PLANofMAN thanks for your help after checking your link I'm fairly convinced amazon is carrying the real deal don't think I've smelled 4711 but if it's a poor copy it won't help much...lol. Not sure what price point I should be looking for on this I do enjoy citrus and bergamot notes for sure.

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I picked up a full bottle of the vintage original stuff on eBay for about $14. I also picked up a travel size bottle for about $10. Good price on both.

From what I've read on Basenotes, the Roger&Gallet stuff smells almost the same, but the Farina version is slightly better.

When I put it on, it feels like falling face first into a pile of fresh cut lavander while holding a orange in each hand. It doesn't last very long, but while it does, it's quite the experience.

My cousin smelled it and said "It smells old fashioned." Which in my consideration, is high praise indeed. :)

8. Robyflexx

I'm so glad I can find this on eBay
    That description sold me, searching on eBay begins in 321..now thanks for your help and time PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Use the keywords "Farina Gegenuber," that will weed out almost all of the fakes.
    The modern bottles look like this:
    [​IMG]
    The genuine vintage article looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Or in a travel size, like this:
    [​IMG]

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Robyflexx

Beautiful bottle and packaging, thanks for the pics and search info :happy088:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. Robyflexx

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I really like (tho I don't wear it as much as I should), vintage Avon Wild Country. It's still being made, although the scent seems lighter. Also, you get a standard perfume bottle, not the old Avon bottles that were shaped like other things. Mine is the "Straight Eight."

[​IMG]

(photo from the interwebs)

14. Robyflexx

That's too awesome

richgem likes this.
  15. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Now that's something you can sport while wearing a tuxedo and eating sardines. :happy102::happy097::eatdrink020:

Robyflexx and richgem like this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Vintage cologne or aftershave can be hit or miss with me. I have several vintage fragrances that I adore, but I also have a few bottles of Avon that may have gone bad over the years because the same scent but in different bottles smells completely different. But I much prefer the more classic scents than the modern Axe or whatever the teeny boppers wear.

Paul Turner, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Robyflexx

I agree it can be hit or miss I consult some cologne forums and read reviews in order to make an informed decision it's been a real money saver.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Amen.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    A few of my favorites...Do you sense a pattern?

Attached Files:

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have a bottle, wear it sparingly. Warm, spicy, more suited for colder months, imo. Very nice stuff.