Vintage Cologne's

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Robyflexx, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's Burley, right?

2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Thanks for the info gorgo2 where might I find it?

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Halston Z-14 can be found in department stores, discount stores (Ross, TJ Maxx), and Wal*Mart.

Florida water can be found in occult shops, the internet and possibly Sally's Beauty Supply.

4. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

My father recommended Z-14 to me.. It smelled like death on me. I love classic scents but they don't love me. Can't wait to try The Veg:signs136:

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Any thread on vintage colones should at least make a mention of Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage. It is after all one of the great citrus chypres of the twentieth century. John Lennon wears it, It was Steve McQueen's signature scent. It was a favorite of Sammy Davis Jr. Antonio Banderas wears it.

It has been said many times by many people, Eau Sauvage is the definitive gentleman's scent.

I like the old citrus scents, but I also like the leathers as well. Sadly, in today's world, the leathers have mostly gone away. A few good ones still remain. Of those, Knize Ten is probably the best known. It was first introduced in 1924.

The great author Hans Habe once said that, if he were cast away on a desert island, he would take Knize with him, since, for a man using a toilet water, it was really not so much a matter of undermining the morale of a beautiful woman than boosting one's own.

Knize Ten is unusual in that it has a leather base, with a citrus opening. One of my all time favorite 'classic' scents.

Dzia Dzia and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Robyflexx

I'v seen halston at tj maxx but definitely don't see myself going to a santeria shop for Florida water :happy097:

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  7. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

You can get it at Walgreen's. $3.99 a bottle. If yours doesn't have it the beauty supply counter can order it with no shipping. That's good ju ju.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Robyflexx

Thanks Don I'm going there today for some things I'll look for it. :)

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Here are two vintage colognes from Egypt called Chabrawichi. The 555 scent is on the left and for men. The one on the right is for women. This brand has been around since the 1800's. untitled.png

10. Robyflexx

Wow those are cool old timey looking bottles, how is the scent?

crackstar likes this.
  11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The men's version is very nice and refreshing, especially for summer or the tropics. It's lemony with lavender notes. :)

12. Robyflexx

I found only a hand full of bottles on eBay but only the women's perfume... Very pricey too

13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

My Grandfather used 4711 Eau de Cologne. Old stuff 1792???

The history of 4711

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yep. A copy of the original Eau de Cologne. There is a synthetic note in the current formulation of 4711 that I don't like, and I haven't smelled it in a while, but from what I remember, it does smell very similar to the original Farina stuff.

Unlike Farina, I can get 4711 locally, so I might have to revisit it one of these days.

Boojum1 likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

1792....that was during Washington's Presidency.

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Correct

17. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I
    Maybe George used it.

wristwatchb and Paul Turner like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Couldn't tell you, I found my bottle in a church resale shop.

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Over in The Haul, I mentioned an Avon "Trailblazer" set I picked up today. Anyone familiar with this one? Basenotes says next to nothing.

[​IMG]

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I used to use a cologne named Bobby Jones.
    I bought it mostly from Dillard. it was very nice.