Vintage Cologne's

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Robyflexx, Nov 4, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    George wore Casswell Massey's Number Six cologne.

Number Six Cologne

"The instant you splash it on, it creates an air of immaculate grooming. Caswell-Massey founding father Dr. William Hunter created this enduring concoction based on an English blend of nearly 30 botanicals, including cloves, orange peel, rosemary, bergamot, orange blossoms, and pine. In the early days it was used for washing face and hands in place of water, which was considered unhealthful. Number Six Cologne was a favorite of President George Washington who gave two cases as a thank-you gift to France's Marquis de Lafayette for assisting in the Revolutionary War."

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I'm not at all knowledgable about any colognes or aftershaves, but I just scored an old English Leather cologne and after shave set that I intend to wear when I use my father's razor and blade set up. It's so I can honor his memory, so to speak. I have an heirloom razor of his, an old Black Tip Super Speed, and I scored some of his favorite blades on the bay-Vintage Wilkinson Sword DEs. And tonight I scored his favorite cologne/after shave, English Leather. I was wondering if anyone can give me an estimate on how old this set is. I am hoping 60's or 70's. Here's a couple of photos from the seller-

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451196634.129941.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451196646.060635.jpg

I've been putting this bunch of stuff together in his memory. I guess I've been thinking about him quite a bit lately. Thanks for any input about this set. Have a great night.

wristwatchb and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

It was launched by the House Dana in 1949. I'm no expert but the packaging looks like 1970's to me. Enjoy! @PLANofMAN might have more info for you, he is a very well read man and knowledgeable about fragrances. :happy088:

Morman Bridge likes this.
  4. Morman Bridge

Thank you Robyflexx!

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Robyflexx

Your welcome buddy! :happy088:

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Mid-late '60s is my guess, from that one darker label. Early '70s at latest.

Morman Bridge and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Morman Bridge

Thanks gorgo2! All input is appreciated.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I read somewhere that it was launched in 1949 by Houbigant, maybe earlier than that as they where the perfumer for Napolean.
    Houbigant-Mem-Dana

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

9. Robyflexx

I read it was "created" by MEM but launched by Dana. Read this on basenotes but take it for what it's worth this is a vintage item after all. Sometimes things are lost in translation. :happy088:

10. Dzia Dzia

You may be right. I was scouring for vintage El and found one made by Houbigant and assumed they originated it being an older house. I saw the same thing on basenotes as you....MEM in 1949... My birth year.
    Old stuff.:eek:

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

11. Dzia Dzia

Here is a screen shot of the product I saw on the web.
    IMG_20151227_165808.jpg
    Towards the top you can read the words English Leather. The manufacturer on the bottom is Houbigant. The packaged is from 1995. About the time Houbigant (then Renisaunce) was filling bankruptcy and was being bought by the "New Dana." With all the french on the package it may have been for the European market. I don't know.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

12. Robyflexx

That's good research buddy! :happy088:

13. Dzia Dzia

Been seriously considering pulling the trigger.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

14. Robyflexx

Do it, maybe you'll regret it if you don't. What's the worst that can happen, you'll end up smelling great!?!

15. Morman Bridge

Hello all, the Daily Double set of English Leather arrived on Thursday. I hesitated to open the original cellophane wrapping, but in the end I opened it. And I'm glad I did. The AS smelled great, as well as the cologne. As soon as I unscrewed the lid on the cologne, I was taken back to my younger years. I am really happy with this purchase. These bottles of cologne and after shave really smell great.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Robyflexx

Great way to start off the new year @Morman Bridge :happy088:

17. Morman Bridge

Thanks Robyflexx! This stuff smells awesome!

Robyflexx likes this.