Vintage Old Spice Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rmcintyre84, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've seen hand soaps that were left on the shelf do the same thing. :D

2. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

It's stuck in the mug. Pry it out? Little hot water? Or just use it as is? Opinions seem to vary.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's up to you .... I'd probably leave it in there.

:eatdrink013:

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

It's up to you. But for used pucks I always take out of mug rinse in hot tap water, put back in mug and if it's dried and cracked I add a little hot water and let stand for a day till water is dried up. The way yours looks, I'd just rinse and just lightly cover with hot water and let stand till next morning, that soap will come to life but I doubt if the old scent will.

RyX likes this.
  5. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

@RyX

See, it is possible to get the puck to sit still in the bowl. You just need a bit of patience....

myles wilson, RyX and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

:D

RyX likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Bloom it, baby!

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    :signs011: Leave it. Bloom it. Use it. Enjoy it.

Enrico and brit like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No need to soak. Rinse it off when you go to use and have at it. The water from a damp brush will pick up the soap. OS soap is nothing special really. I think vintage Colgate and Williams are much better. If you want the OS scent add a few drops of the AS when you start to build your lather. No need to worry about taking it out of the mug either. Enjoy the shaves!

brit and Enrico like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You want a bloomin onion for the baby?

Primotenore and brit like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    brit likes this.
  12. BlueShaver

:prrr: :prrr: :prrr: :prrr: :prrr: :prrr: :prrr:

brit likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Disagree. I get a really shiny, slick lather AND it smells great. The aftermarket price for the refill pucks has exploded. Just yesterday, two NOS sold for $80.

brit and Tallships like this.
  14. Tallships

Wow that is far too much for a soap that I once paid $o.50 for. I love Old Spice but this last puck of mine is going to be used on just Holidays.

brit and Enrico like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Meh. People go brain dead like that because it has Old Spice in the label. The lather is no better then other soaps of the period. I think Colgate is just as good. I get a great lather too. Mine has no scent left though.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

What? It was a run of the mill soap. Vintage Colgate is just as good.

brit likes this.
  17. Tallships

Most of the Vintage soaps, Williams, Palmolive, Old Spice, Colgate, etc.were mostly working mens soaps back in the day, each giving a great lather. Vintage out of production soaps are more of a fond memory shave. Personally when a puck of vintage is gone I cut a piece of Cella off a kilo an get another great lather.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very good point. That working man feel is great. I need to get a chunk of Cella. Then again I could never buy another ounce of soap and shave the rest of my life with all I have.

brit likes this.
  19. BlueShaver

Well i suppose you are correct. The sweet spot for shaving soap performance is very wide and its rare that a "shaving soap" will miss it. You may get the odd artisan product exceeding the spot and you get the odd "lifestyle product" falling short (hello Cade) but mostly, they work ok.

I actually really enjoy vintage shaving soaps. I think they were particularly good because they had to fulfil the promise of a shaving soap else nobody would buy them. Back in the day, product perfomance was primary. Lifestyle products and manufacturers trying to appeal to vegan hippies were mostly unheard of. You made a soap to work well and it would sell.

My vintage Yardley and Cussons shaving soap blow away most of my current shaving soaps in performance and are a joy to use.
    That said, genuine shaving soap manufactures can still make shaving soap every bit as good. Notably Arko.

brit and wchnu like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

ARKO is a veddy good example !!

brit likes this.