Vintage or New

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by redorchestra, Feb 19, 2008.

1. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Is there any reason to buy a vintage straight?

Do they cut different or does the steel feel better?

Do you get a better blade for a lower cost?

Is it the imagined history or the greeness of recycling?

Are there current companies that still know quality?

I have heard there are reasons for stainless and carbon. I hear the stainless will hold an edge better and for longer than a carbon, but it is harder to hone it to that edge.

If I am buying a straight that I will pay to have honed; will a stainless steel blade stay sharp longer than my carbon steel blade?

Does a stainless blade also need more trips on a strop everyday?

So if I can choose between a refurbished vintage straight and a new low end straight, which is the better choice?

Has this already been discussed to death? I found a POLL question that touched on the subject in an off topic kind of way. My apologies in advance!

2. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Should I mention that I definatly prefer vintage DE razors to new. Not blades but razors. I find the finish on an older razor to glide over my face easier. I don't know if the vintage is just broken in but my Merkur jumps and skips on my face. Same prep.

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I have a feeling that many of the old steels are superior to the new ones. However you can't go wrong with a new Thiers or Dovo either. It's really up to your personal preference :)

4. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I doubt there is a "better choice", only personal preference. I have a few vintage straights and I'll probably buy a new razor one day too.

Remember that what ever you choose, get it properly honed!

I think you have a few good deals to choose from, in different price ranges, on Bill's site http://www.billysblades.com/Straights.htm

Good luck!

5. xChris

xChris Member

It really will come down to your preferences. New or old will still get the job done as long as two things are satisfied - the razor is honed to shaving sharpness (sometimes a good feat on its own), and you use proper technique (it's a great sense of accomplishment).

6. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Hold out

I held off on buying fromm billysblades.com for two long when the new razors were added. You snooze you lose and I lost 4 that I had my eye on. I couldn't believe how fast they went!!!!!!

I'll probably buy another used/refurb for myself, but I want to buy new for my best man for my wedding (AUGUST). But then I will be jealous, so I need to buy two new razors!!!!! AD!!!

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Red,

What 2 new razors are you looking at? Price range?

Neale

8. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Bill's straights are always in high demand. Always jump if you can on those in my view. They are works of art.

9. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

Why a vintage over new?
    Hmmm
    I guess, for me, it is the cool factor..Using something that has been round for a loooong time is a pretty cool thing.It's why I shave DE with a 1952 SS. Same year as my birth.

I prefer new knives because of steel composition and design. I like one hand openers. Just makes sense.
    I'm a reverse steel snob with a str8. I think carbon is better..I am probably wrong as I, no doubt, will find a stainless customstr8 that is a gr8 shaver. This will be a terrific day when I am convinced that stainless can get the edge...
    Vintage stuff is cool...
    Tho a vintage IPOD is not what I want.
    Hahahaha

10. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I wasn't looking at One of Bill's, one of his cleanups. I guess it is skillfull, but art I don't know.

New razors I am looking at theirsissard or Dovo. Looks like all I can afford.
    But I will have to look at the Euro conversion to Korean Won
    Here are a few that I like:
    weltmeister
    [​IMG]
    thiers issard 5/8 tortoise
    [​IMG]
    or a dovo
    [​IMG]

11. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

'm just going on hearsay ...BUT..
    Of these I am only familiar with Dovio and TI.
    My uninformed, inexperienced thought would be for me to buy the TI...

I hope the WON is kind to you
    :)

12. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I just found a few more that I like, but I am not going to post the pics. I amm afraid they are one offs.

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow,

Those look like some fine choices, I really like the looks of the Weltmeister / World Master :)

I have heard good things about the Dovo, the only Dovo's I have right now are Stainless Steel and are nice shavers.

I have a few TI's and they all are great shavers, one of my favorites is my 6/8 Super Gnome it's a half hollow and a great shaver...:D

They all look like nice shavers, if I were your best man...I would be very happy with any of the three, a great gift idea :cool:

Congrats!

Neale

14. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I think you can get better value with a vintage blade, but new blades shave very well too. I also prefer carbon to stainless - to me, it just feels smoother. YMMV and I may change my mind about this some day. Look around at the different sources of vintage blades and you might find a good deal.

Jordan

15. vgod

vgod New Member

i prefer the vintage. but then again my 'newest blade' was a solingen blade bought in the 70's. other than that i don't see the need or have the desire to spend $200 on a new blade. my early 1800's john barber does just fine.

vgod

16. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

It's good to bring this up from time to time. I have a couple of newer stainless blades, and a bunch of vintage ones. Nothing wrong with today's blades as long as you choose from a quality maker (stay away from the Chinese and Pakistani blades). Most of you that frequent TSD know this, but those Zeepk blades on Ebay are CRAP! You get what you pay for in straights.

Back when everyone used one, they weren't a luxury item. All the hardware and general stores had them. But now that they are considered a higher-end item, the best ones by TI and Dovo will usually run you a little more.

I love my vintage blades. I have a personal preference for Sheffield blades, but I don't think they are substantially better than Solingen or Swedish or other good steel. The nice thing about vintage blades, besides the history, is that you can still find a bargain now and then, either in the local antiques market or on Ebay.

17. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Well I'm done with Ebay for now. Any vintage blade is going to be a professional cleanup from billysblades.com or someone else. I bought a few vintage and had them sent to Lynn Abrams for honing. $40 per blade. I didn't see them before he did, so I don't know how much he had to take off the top. The original purchase price + shipping + estimate service + honing and it is still a bit rusty where I can't clean it up, pivot pin is loose and the tip of the blade trys to hit the scales. My 'bargain' ends up being no deal at all.

18. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

The bargain comes when you do all the work yourself. You have to have your initial investment in tools, hones and patience in learning the skills involved. These skills are sometimes more rewarding than the actual shaving itself.

bj

19. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

nope
    I leave this to those who like this type of work. I don't like metal. It smells bad, and it is filthy. Some people like that, I don't.

20. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

A related question for those of you who have new straights. Is there any difference in the quality of the shave when using a $100 TI or a $400 TI ?

Or is the extra cash going to fancy filework and expensive scales?