Vintage travel brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Aug 15, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I wouldn't try to salvage that knot. The previous owner had a habit of leaving it in the shave mug, which has warped the bristles. You might be able to straighten them in boiling water, but in my opinion, not worth the effort.

That handle looks like it would be very comfortable to use. I wouldn't use anything harsher than dish soap on the handle if you want to keep that cream color. I imagine the original color was white, and UV light has caused it to darken and yellow.

Edit: Oh, and the fact that it has a number "3" on it probably means it was marketed as a barber's brush rather than a regular joes' brush

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    GDCarrington likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is an excellent candidate for restoration. It is similar to ...

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/brush-handle-candidate-2-finally-receives-a-knot.46495/

You will more than likely need a smaller knot if it is a #3 but boring the old knot out will allow you to make a good measurement. Given its configuration, do not enlargen the hole any further than what the current size is.

mrchick, Darkbulb and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This might end up being my first restoration. I'll probably have lots of questions

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1
    We should create a "Restoration by dummies"-thread, if nothing else it could end up having some tragically funny results in it

5. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Swedish site
    [​IMG]

Looks very cool, but there is no need =P

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. mrchick

I up for that. I don't mind people laughing at me

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

What does 'need' have anything to do with it? :)

mrchick likes this.
  8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Lately I have been thinking more "need" than "want". Want is a VERY difficult think to work with, it's so wide and includes many many things!

9. mrchick

NBJ taught me the difference. I have tapered off a lot on my purchases. I bought a few brushes this month but don't see myself going into full fledged BAD. I want to play with what I have. BTW, the Double Ring was a need

10. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Very nice brush

mrchick likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The "Better" travel brush arrived and if I had to guess I'd say it has never been used. Knot looks great and no visible dents/damage to the very shiny metal canister/handle.

I'm hoping this will be another "just clean it up and use it" kinda deal :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was interesting though - the base of the brush has an identical inscription to the no-name travel brush posted in the opening post in this thread.
    [​IMG]

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Picked this up yesterday.
    2015-10-31 20.43.42.jpg
    It's a Palmer/Better Brush. It has the same stamp on the bottom as the OPs brush. Do you think I could use this knot? If so, how would I clean and sterilize it? Thanks.

TitanTTB, mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  13. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Give it few test lathers and see how the knot holds up and how you like it. Borax or diluted white vinegar can be used to clean the knot. Here's a tutorial Clean & De-Stink your shaving brushes with some pointers.

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. TitanTTB

Here's my vintage Rubberset travel brush that I got in a lot last year for about $5. I think the model number is B19. The knot was totally shot so I polished & restored it. It took short lofted knot 19mm x 60mm if I remember correctly. This is the before pic, I need to snap a picture of the finished product.

[​IMG]

mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow. Would love to see an After photo.

16. TitanTTB

Will do. Actually I have to take a trip for work next week and it'll be the first time I can throw it in the Dopp kit and use it on the road as it was meant to be used so I'll report back with pictures and a review when I get back.
    Honestly this brush was a pain to restore and took forever. Had to remove the knot and work on it 'apart' with patience and nimble fingers. Then finding the right knot was like getting Goldilocks to sit in the right chair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mrchick and Darkbulb like this.