Vintage Update

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maliboy67, Feb 4, 2015.

1. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

Today was the second shave with my Gillette slim. I set it on 6 today and had a great 2 pass shave, I have not achieved this until now. Usually 3-4 with touchups are required. On 6 it was getting to the point for me I could feel and hear that I need to be more carful and have a very light touch. On another positive my wife tried my 23c and I think I have lost it. She is hooked and told me she will never go back to cartridges and a can again.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great News

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent!

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Glad to hear your making such great headway with your Slim. :happy088:
    :signs046: to TSD to your wife, it may have cost you your 23C, but you've made another convert for us! So :happy096: to you! :)

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. maliboy67

To be honest the way the Rocket and Slim shave I won't miss the 23c, and let's not forget the Sledgehammer arriving tomorrow. My wife Jodi said to me this morning we need a rack for the razors now. From one razor to six in a week, at this rate we will need a bigger house!

178-bplatoon and Troy M like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  8. Hudson

Hudson Member

i have been loving my 64 slim i set it at a 7 first pass wtg and then a five for the second pass atg and for touch ups and have been getting some bbs shaves! great razors

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Congrats on your shave and getting the wife on board.

First a small rack, then a bigger rack, then a shelf, then another shelf, then a large cabinet, etc.

With your wife on board, I think your really going to have fun!

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

I have yet to go over 3...I will give those higher numbers a try.

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Great news x2! Next, you need to get your wife to join TSD.

Jayaruh likes this.
  12. maliboy67

I'm working on it. Then she can let everyone know directly what is going on. For now with chefs school and 3 children at home its hard to find the time. That is why I get up at 5 to shave and post here

Jayaruh and Sara-s like this.
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Well done.

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Way to go! :happy088:

I think you did what I did with my Slim. Being slightly apprehensive (scared?) I started at a fairly low setting. This required multiple "touch up" passes because the setting was so mild. Like you I moved up the setting until the results improved. Lately I've been making my first WTG pass on 9, then dropping back to 5 or 6 to finish.

As for your wife, I lost my fat-handle tech the same way. Kiss it good bye!

Jayaruh likes this.