Vintage Williams Soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by whiskerlips, Mar 7, 2009.

1. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Has anyone shaved with this? The lady greenlighted an antique store expedition so I ended up buying these two soaps. I've heard vintage Yardley is good, but I've never heard anything about vintage williams. Anyone tried this? Did williams use tallow back then?

Here are some pics of both....

Attached Files:

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Looks great to me. I think Williams is still using tallow. Don't think the formula has changed in 100 years but could be wrong. If you want to get rid of it, feel free to PM me. ;)

3. OneRand

OneRand New Member

Never seen one in bowl. looks nice

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Never seen williams made in a bowl like that.. let us know how it shaves.. I use williams a good bit myself.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My goodness--nice bowl!

6. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I am sure it is tallow based since the current Williams is. et us know how it works!

7. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I'm holding off using it for now. If the formula hasn't ever changed, and it doesn't get rave reviews now, I might as well keep it in it's new condition. It looks cool and smells good.

8. MattPadgett

MattPadgett New Member

Great find.

9. SRD

SRD Well-Known Member

Used Williams for years. Good tallow soap. Just so many more interesting choices these days. Variety is the spice of life.:)

10. Tinkerputzer

Tinkerputzer Member

That yardley you scored is a definite winner. One of the best lathering soaps you can find. I don't know much about williams, but does the stuff you scored smell like the williams of today?

11. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Very nice score. I'd keep the bowl and chuck the soap.

Williams is still tallow-based. Worst-scented soap of all time :sick007

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I'm envious. DC Antique shops do not stock shave gear, not enough $$ in it.

13. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I forgot to answer this question. I haven't smelled modern williams recently. I hear that it has a citronilla smell? This smells very similar to the yardleys. But without the faint coconut smell.