Vintge OC help!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by pvtbanks, Nov 24, 2015.

1. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

So I've recently discovered I love OC razors. I've decided I need to start looking for a vintage OC now, but I need to start looking so I can figure out prices so when the time is right I can pull the trigger. I know this is a YMMV situation, but I know there are some known poor performers etc I should watch out for. Thank you in advance!

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Seth

I have a gillette 1921 New Improved LC that shaves great. It gives fantastic shaves. I would recommend one of those or even a old. Just make sure the teeth are good and straight. The handles will most likely be cracked. Do not let that deter you. There are some great recent posts on how to fix them.
    EDIT I have New Improved LC
    Good luck on your search
    Tom

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    wristwatchb, Jim99 and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Thank you for your input! I will begin the search with that razor!

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'll second the Long-Comb New. One of the best razor designs ever and they can be had at a pretty good price.

5. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Not that you need it, but I'll 'third' that motion of a New LC.

I started 7 months ago and used 7 DEs so far - all very good razors. I will probably keep all of them, but if I could only keep one - at this stage of my development it would be the New LC.

They seem to be fairly common and mostly available in different conditions. Some sellers don't list their type correctly. Let me know if you need tips on how to differentiate LC from SC and New from Old.
    Good luck

DEs I've used:

New LC
    Goodwill
    SuperSpeed
    Fatboy
    Slim Adjustable
    Standard
    Tech

wristwatchb, Jim99, pvtbanks and 2 others like this.
  6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have 2 Old Types. a short handled one and a long handled. They both shave amazingly. I ride the cap on all my razors and I think these razors feel milder then any of my others and the hair just isn't there after you finish a stroke.

wristwatchb, Jim99, pvtbanks and 2 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's official. RAD in full blossom. ;)

wristwatchb, Jim99, pvtbanks and 3 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

There are not really "poor performing razors". Only razors for which the user lacks the requisite technique.

That is all. Carry on. :)

Karl G, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  9. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Ah, I will fourth the " New " long OC. It is one of my favorites to shave with problem is it in horrible shape and looks like I need a tetanus shot after each use. Still works great after all these years though.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  10. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Like me with the Stahly head. I dislike it greatly. I only used it one as I bought it for my fiance but it was terrible. I will probably go back to it at some point and try to learn it because it has so many great reviews. The fiance has stolen my long handled Old Type.

11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

My two faves. The Sheraton is a real nice mild shaver and the New Improved LC is capable of BBS shaves .
    [​IMG]

wristwatchb, Herm2502, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Seth, like many of the others I would suggest the New Long Comb. It really is a great razor and a great intro into vintage OC razors. I would suggest putting a WTB post in the Marketplace.

wristwatchb, Jim99 and pvtbanks like this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'll also recommend the New LC though, in my case, I actually have the New LC-based Goodwill. I also get really good results from my 20's Old Type with the thick cap. I think the thin cap variety may be a bit of YMMV, though, as I found it a bit harsh.

JR

wristwatchb, Jim99, twhite and 2 others like this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've got a few extras, pm me if your interested.
    long comb ball end
    short comb bar handle
    they are nothing fancy, but they shave nice.

wristwatchb, JR Reyes, twhite and 2 others like this.
  15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

If a unicorn were to bring you a New Short Comb OC Razor, would you have a handle to use on it?

16. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

All I have is newer razor handles. My vintage razors are all TTO. Thank you though!

wristwatchb, JR Reyes and twhite like this.
  17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

If you have a modern 3 piece razor, a vintage head will fit on the handle.

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have two Gillette New long combs, one with a ball end handle and the other with the bar handle. Both are fantastic razors and can be acquired at a very reasonable cost. You can't go wrong with one of these razors.

wristwatchb, pvtbanks and twhite like this.
  19. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I had just assumed they had different threads but I guess I was wrong!

wristwatchb and CyanideMetal like this.
  20. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Technically, they do, but the difference is trivial and won't affect using the razor.